Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-23-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Pearlj10

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT
Help with steering issue, please

Please note that my problem is likely due to mechanic reusing TTY bolts on my steering rack during install. Part number for the TTY bolt is 11609598. You need 4 bolts to replace rack (or 2 for upgrading/replacing the bushing on the passenger side). I just did Brembo and 1LE upgrade on my 2LT and bought new TTY fasteners where specified. Should’ve provided new TTY bolts to shop who did my rack install, too! Scary stuff. Can’t say I feel good about loose steering rack bolts. Fortunately, Camaro is hobby car and has been parked, minus a trip to alignment shop, until issue was resolved. To all those who say it’s ok to reuse TTY bolts once or twice... never mind, don’t want to reignite that flame.

Hi, I have a 2011 2LT and the steering wheel after an alignment points straight ahead when in the 12:00 position. That is, until I turn left. When I turn left, when the steering wheel turns back to center, it is cocked to the left (in the 10:30 or 11:00 position). When I turn right after car comes off the alignment rack, it returns to its normal position at 12:00 and steers straight. Once the steering wheel is shifted left after a left turn, I can turn hard to the right and get it to go back to the 12:00 position. No recent changes to suspension other than replacing front rack bushing with Poly bushing (since Firestone thought a bad bushing was causing the issue). Bushing upgrade did not affect or fix problem. Most parts are relatively new as I recently did the 1LE upgrade. Car only has 39k miles. Any thoughts?

I’m wondering if the rack is shifting left when I turn left. Car still drives straight as an arrow, just the steering wheel doesn’t return to 12:00 like it should, it returns to 10:30 or 11:00. I used the Prothane poly steering rack bushing and used their supplied grease on inside and outside of bushing before installing steel clamp.

Thanks

Last edited by Pearlj10; 08-23-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Pearlj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Pearlj10

Also, should’ve mentioned, I installed a reman rack from BBB this past October. Rack has been fine until this problem. No dead spots, leaks, noise, excessive force to turn, etc.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:04 PM   #3
Pearlj10

Problem fixed. I checked torque on the rack bolts and the bolts holding rack to drivers side frame were loose. Very loose. Like finger tight loose. I paid a shop to do this install for me as I had little free time to do the replacement after buying the car. Only car service I’ve paid for in I don’t know how many years. Reminded me why I never pay anyone to do anything on my vehicles.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
dma05

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thank you for updating this post and adding the part number. I'm about to remove my steering rack and I couldn't find the bolt part numbers anywhere. This saved me a lot of time. Bolts are on order so I can TTY the new ones instead of using the old ones.

Tags
alignment, steering rack, steering wheel