Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-06-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Robmnrd

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Does a "mid-size" heat exchanger exist?

Hey guys, possibly a strange question - is there an aftermarket heat exchanger for our cars that is somewhere between the size of stock (probably too small once I'm pullied) and the behemoths from Afco, C&R, Weapon-X, etc. (probably larger than I will need for my application, especially since I will also have the cooling effects of E85)?

I know the typical mantra is "more cooling is better" but I'm seeing evidence as I do more research that on a car that will see duties similar to mine (5000-6000 miles of daily driving per year, literally never go to the strip or track, and worst "abuse" being taking an on-ramp to 110 or through a few twisties in the 35-70mph range for a few seconds), that those extra-large heat exchangers act the vast majority of the time to decrease airflow to the rest of the "cooling pack". Meaning the radiator, trans cooler, condenser, all run hotter just so the blower gets a little cooler for less than 10 seconds. I mean once I've lifted off the throttle after reaching speeds below what these cars do stock in the quarter mile (I've never even brought the thing to 116...) the thing should be cooling off pretty darn effectively on it's own...

I do live in Texas, and that combined with pulley-ing the car makes me believe I should have an upgraded cooling capacity. But I question whether or not my use for the car and the final mod list necessitate a massive heat exchanger.

When all is said and done the car will have:

Roto-fab CAI (already installed, brings in slightly cooler air..)
LT headers, hi-flow cats, open catback (already installed, makes getting heat out of the engine more efficient than comparable cars that people pulley w/o exhaust mods)
ID1050s + aux. pump + E85 (plenty of fuel, and the added cooling of the E85)
2.45 upper pulley (and a tune to maintain a stock redline, so not even spinning the blower over 20,000)

Honestly if I still lived back in Michigan I'd probably just leave the stock heat exchanger there and just live with some timing being pulled if I ever drove the car extra hard for longer than I ever do. But ambient temps here in Texas probably get too hot on those 105-115 degree days.

Any input is appreciated, and my apologies for the novel-length post!
Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Yup, the Ron Davis H/X falls right in between. I run one and love it.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Cam...ooler_2012.htm

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
Robmnrd

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA View Post
Yup, the Ron Davis H/X falls right in between. I run one and love it.

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/Cam...ooler_2012.htm
Oh snap, that is right on the money. And based on your build being a bit more aggressive than mine, and your location being just as hot as mine, I imagine it will work beautifully for me! I will have to shoot them an email.

Thanks very much my man!
Robmnrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I also have the Ron Davis and Vegas is a bit warmer than TX.

I'd be more concerned with the brick after changing pulleys. They are only designed for 8-9 lbs of boost. There are several companies in TX that provide reinforced bricks.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote