Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Stabilitrack Issue While on Track

I was participating in an HPDE this weekend with JustTrackit at Roebling Roads near Savannah,Ga and it was a lot of fun and the weather was good as the rain held off until after the final session.

My issue that got me as I was entering onto the fast sweeping turn 9 was a message of Service Stabilitrack System which surprise to heck out of me to say the least. Within 30 seconds of receiving that message I was presented another more immediate message of Reduced Engine Power, Limp Mode. I was already past pit entrance when this occurred so I had to limp around on which felt like 4 cylinders to an emergency entrance on the backside of the track while trying not to get run over or get in the way on a hot track and this was a day after a GT350TP almost burnt to the ground from what looked like an oil fire.

After getting back to the paddock area I was hopeful that the issue was not a serious one but something simple. I shut of the engine off and restarted it but it still sounds as if I'm down a cylinder only worse now so I shut it off again. I was using a BT1 OBD device for my track telemetry for my track addict app so I pull it out from the port and cycled the power.

Problem solved. It sounds and feels totally normal now and I reinstalled the device to pull up any trouble codes and it was showing a malfunction of the Throttle Position Sensor Correlation. I've had a similar situation previously with my dashlogic OBD device causing my dash instruments to go crazy so I was hoping that this could be a similar fix of just removing the device but this was a new thing of going into limp mode. It took also the added step of cycling the power.

Just wanted to share my incident with the community and I hope this helps someone else if they get into a similar situation. I did return to the track in my next session with no problems but I left the device off for the remainder of the day. GM did put out e technical bulletin on OBD port devices caused issues a few years ago as I remember now.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:06 AM   #2
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's

Drives: 2014 ZL1
If your car does it again under heavy acceleration check your plugs and wires...bet you have a plug wire that popped off
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat300z View Post
If your car does it again under heavy acceleration check your plugs and wires...bet you have a plug wire that popped off
Great point. That happened to me.

OP - Glad to hear it was solved. These cars are very finicky when it comes to the OBDII port. They rely on CAN protocol to communicate between the various on board modules and if they lose connection they usually go into limp mode or you will see several "Service -----" messages in the DIC. If this happens it doesn't hurt to pull the BCM fuse for a few seconds as well.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Yeah it was the OBD port plugin device that caused the issue and the plug wires was the first thing we checked. She ran great after this issue for my next two sessions with no hiccups at all.

Thanks for the support.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Thanks for sharing.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
p3jason
Allergic to stupid.

Drives: 2015 ZL1 #957 M6 AGM & 1990 Z24
Send a message via Yahoo to p3jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I was participating in an HPDE this weekend with JustTrackit at Roebling Roads near Savannah,Ga and it was a lot of fun and the weather was good as the rain held off until after the final session.

My issue that got me as I was entering onto the fast sweeping turn 9 was a message of Service Stabilitrack System which surprise to heck out of me to say the least. Within 30 seconds of receiving that message I was presented another more immediate message of Reduced Engine Power, Limp Mode. I was already past pit entrance when this occurred so I had to limp around on which felt like 4 cylinders to an emergency entrance on the backside of the track while trying not to get run over or get in the way on a hot track and this was a day after a GT350TP almost burnt to the ground from what looked like an oil fire.

After getting back to the paddock area I was hopeful that the issue was not a serious one but something simple. I shut of the engine off and restarted it but it still sounds as if I'm down a cylinder only worse now so I shut it off again. I was using a BT1 OBD device for my track telemetry for my track addict app so I pull it out from the port and cycled the power.

Problem solved. It sounds and feels totally normal now and I reinstalled the device to pull up any trouble codes and it was showing a malfunction of the Throttle Position Sensor Correlation. I've had a similar situation previously with my dashlogic OBD device causing my dash instruments to go crazy so I was hoping that this could be a similar fix of just removing the device but this was a new thing of going into limp mode. It took also the added step of cycling the power.

Just wanted to share my incident with the community and I hope this helps someone else if they get into a similar situation. I did return to the track in my next session with no problems but I left the device off for the remainder of the day. GM did put out e technical bulletin on OBD port devices caused issues a few years ago as I remember now.
I appreciate you sharing this info. I use the BT1 on track days as well. Luckily I've never encountered your situation, but if I ever do I'll remember this.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3jason View Post
I appreciate you sharing this info. I use the BT1 on track days as well. Luckily I've never encountered your situation, but if I ever do I'll remember this.
Just wanted share my experience with the community. I was hoping that you would be here for this event even though it was so close to last track night that you did here.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
p3jason
Allergic to stupid.

Drives: 2015 ZL1 #957 M6 AGM & 1990 Z24
Send a message via Yahoo to p3jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Just wanted share my experience with the community. I was hoping that you would be here for this event even though it was so close to last track night that you did here.
I'd like to do more events, but the budget can't support all the track days and tire expenses that go with it. Roebling Road is a fun track, but it is very hard on the left front tire.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #9
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3jason View Post
I'd like to do more events, but the budget can't support all the track days and tire expenses that go with it. Roebling Road is a fun track, but it is very hard on the left front tire.
Yes it is!! I started at 28 psi cold on the left front but had to go up to 32 psi to keep from rolling more of the leading edge of the tire. Lesson learned for next time.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #10
CameronG63

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, Porsche 914, '81 GMC
I've had my stabilitrac come on a few times, but the light always turns off after about 30 seconds. Also had plug wires come loose twice now...
Mods: Airaid CAI, Kooks Headers & cats, Nick Williams 102 TB, Lingenfelter 2.55" pulley, ID 850 Injectors, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Goodridge SS braided lines, Lingenfelter Pedals, Radar Projector
CameronG63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Your car is modified? More boost? The problem is in the tune and can be fixed. The next time you push the car hard it will happen again. Let me guess, your code was P0068?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:51 AM   #12
himmy33
Go Cougs!

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Let some track video please!
himmy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #13
FunkedOut

Drives: Black 2010 SS
Here's a few snaps I got of RLHMARINES.
That car sits pretty.
Attached Images

FunkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I know I'm bias, but the 5th Gen ZL1 will go down as the best looking Camaro every made.