Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with the tops appearance and performance?
Very Satisfied 40 22.35%
Mostly Satisfied 43 24.02%
Satisfied 19 10.61%
Not Satisifed 46 25.70%
Completely Unsatisfied 31 17.32%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #29
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
I see he hawk02 has "The Camaro Wave" also

At this point 2350 miles on my car and "The Camaro Wave" is my only gripe.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #30
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I too, have the "wave". Just cropped up about 2 weeks ago - bilaterally, above the doors. Very slight, however. In my pics I referred to it as a "wrinkle" but "wave" or "fold" definitely is a much more suitable descriptor.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #31
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I like the "wave" as the term to describe this. It is a funky issue since depending on temperature that I put the top back up the bigger the wave.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
I see he hawk02 has "The Camaro Wave" also

At this point 2350 miles on my car and "The Camaro Wave" is my only gripe.
Yep, the wave was there when I took delivery in January. I don't think the dealer ever lowered the top so I think it came that way from the factory. I'm hoping as the weather warms, it will work itself out. If it doesn't, i'm not too conerned as long stay as is and doesn't get worse.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #33
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Drives: Traded a 2011 2SS/RS A6 Blk Vert
Had to vote not satisfied because of 5th bow and rub marks. Purchased 6/11/11. Approx. 5800 miles. Maybe about 1/3 to 1/2 top down. Have been in denial, until just recently when an area dealer confirmed the bow is bent. Is now scheduled to be replaced a week from today. Guess I have been hesitant because it absolutely does not leak. Has been through two days of heavy rains on interstate driving and even been through a car wash - twice (I know, I know, a cardinal sin - but trust me, it was absolutely necessary - and did not leak, even through the windows). Also, this is our first convertible, so wasn't really sure what to expect. But, thank God for this forum, and all your input.

I'm a little embarrassed to show these pics, but will do so in hopes of helping others. You can clearly see the wrinkles and the "gap" against the trunk lid. This top is a mess - but if the 5th bow replacement will tighten it up and help to remove the wrinkles and waves, then maybe it won't need replaced. The dealer has replaced one 5th bow successfully - so am hoping.........
Attached Images

IL-Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #34
MARTYBMW

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS RJT Convertible
IL-Tracker....Holy crap that is literally the crappiest top I have seen yet....and you thought that was normal????

Born On 04/01/11
MARTYBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #35
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Well, can't really say I though it was "normal", but since it was't leaking, and given all the problems with complete top replacements, thought it would be best to wait for a more permanent fix.

Also, pretty rural here and not much to compare it to, other than what's been posted on this forum. That is until I made a special trip to an area dealership - He immediately knew the bow was bent and also commented on the rub marks.

But now that it is out of hibernation - guess it is time to address the issues.

Will try and post pics after the 5th bow replacement next Monday.

For those of you with nice tops - count your blessings.

(fwiw - it looks really good with the top down )
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #36
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYBMW View Post
IL-Tracker....Holy crap that is literally the crappiest top I have seen yet....and you thought that was normal????
Come on now. He said he was a little embarassed to show the pictures.

Tracker, thanks for posting those. Once you get it fixed, you'll be really happy how clean it looks. Please exercise caution where you get fixed.

I hate to say it but when there's an elephant in the room .... Looks like you have rub marks too. Might as well get it replaced. They're going to have to take the top off to replace the 5th bow anyway.

They all look GREAT with the top down. Love your positive spin on it

That being said, it is the worst looking one I've seen yet. Sorry :(
The attached picture is close.
This one was brand new - manufacture date 02/02/2012. This is how it was delivered to the dealer.
I don't know if the owner has gotten facebook savvy or not, but I'm pretty sure he browses here. He gave me permission to post this some time ago.

George, if you're out there... you are not alone
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
IL-Tracker
That's why.........

Cam62 thanks - and no offense to Marty. It is what it is.

I may be ignorant when it comes to verts and top expectations, but am going to deal with it and get it fixed. Just takes time -still love the car.

If it requires a new top, so be it. At least I have the luxury of it not being a daily driver - and can wait till they get it right.

GM will make it right - eventually.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #38
Hendrix-Engineering
Account Suspended

Drives: First 9 inch-12 bolt IRS Camaro
Hey guys,i didnt really see all of this before i went and bought the wife a new vert the other day.I have faith that will get a fix that works.What i wonder is should we get a list up ,by state for the dealers that know about the fixes and do a good job and a list were guys have been 2,3,or more times and not geting anywhere? I know im in NC and i dont know who i could trust to take it to that has a clue.What you guys think,along the lines Happy chevy took care of my top they were knowledgeable etc,or stay away from bubas chevy they made mine worse
Hendrix-Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
TC'S SS/RS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
I voted somewhat satisfied as well because I have had no issues yet....but have only had the car 3 months with very little top down time....Ohio weather.
2012 SS/RS-1500 miles
Build date: August 2011
Attached Images

TC'S SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #40
kirstie4422

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 1LT RS
ok Not Satisfied but i think you should have put scared as a choice because after reading the stories that is what I am...scared. So far just the "wave" and rub marks. But I love my car! i will hold out hope. Here are some pics
Attached Images

kirstie4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #41
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering View Post
Hey guys,i didnt really see all of this before i went and bought the wife a new vert the other day.I have faith that will get a fix that works.What i wonder is should we get a list up ,by state for the dealers that know about the fixes and do a good job and a list were guys have been 2,3,or more times and not geting anywhere? I know im in NC and i dont know who i could trust to take it to that has a clue.What you guys think,along the lines Happy chevy took care of my top they were knowledgeable etc,or stay away from bubas chevy they made mine worse

I'm game!
Dimmitt Chevrolet - Clearwater FL. These guys are great. They corrected all the mistakes that the bad guys made. Nothing they could do about having to replace all the carpet and rear seat cushions from all the water damage. Applied all tsb's to the brackets. Very proffessional job.

The bad guys - Gordon Chevrolet - Tampa FL. Accused me of burning the hole in the top. Didn't even inspect top operation. When I called the service manager out on it I had to force an apology. Even when clearly showing the operation and where it was pinching he wasn't convinced. I said call a gm rep. I insisted on a new top and he fnally agreed. Outsourced shop - horrible. Upon return - top did not appear to be operating correctly couldn't convince him. After taking the car through an automatic wash (brushless at least) and I discovered the leak (puddles) I emailed him about the issue. His response - customer cooperation is essential to a good relationship along with pictures from the owners manual about proper top operation. Much more to the story but I've rambled enough now.

Shame on you Hendrix - you're a sponsor here and these threads have been going on since summer - Welcome to our "club". Sorry.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #42
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie4422 View Post
ok Not Satisfied but i think you should have put scared as a choice because after reading the stories that is what I am...scared. So far just the "wave" and rub marks. But I love my car! i will hold out hope. Here are some pics
GM will get it right and honor their warranty! Sure is an inconvenience though.

For what it's worth, I have close to 2400 miles on my 2012 (12/15/2011 build date) and the brackets are rounded. Not dremmelled they appear to be a molded piece. No rub marks, keeping my fingers crossed. I look closely all the time. Not even the start of one. I haven't had any 5th bow issues.

My only gripe now is the wave. I have it on both sides. Service department opened a gm case and gm stated not to do anything with it.

All the press and reviews about the design of this to be so clean and tight, yet these waves that I'm told not to do anything with. I've got a lot of warranty left, but that's not the point. It takes away from the clean look GM touted about these tops.

Lesser of two evils I suppose.

Tags
top convertible