Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Looking to buy some long tube headers

Hey, looking for a little advice here guys.
I'm currently looking to purchase some long tube headers to get some more power and that deeper sound I love.
I have a few questions tho,
1. If I have the NPP exhaust and want to keep it, all I have to do is get the lt headers, and high flow cats, and they will bolt right up to the rest of the exhaust correct?
2. Are Kooks 1 7/8" and high flow cats good to go with? Only heard good things about them but would love a little more input here.
3. Is there any issue with fitment regarding the steering shaft?
4. Is it safe to drive 3 hours at freeway speeds to get them tuned? (plan is I install them in my garage and then drive to a tuning shop 3 hours away)

ALSO where should I order these headers? Maryland speed? Who else is good?

Anything I'm forgetting?
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
I'm currently looking to purchase some long tube headers to get some more power and that deeper sound I love.
1. If I have the NPP exhaust and want to keep it, all I have to do is get the lt headers, and high flow cats, and they will bolt right up to the rest of the exhaust correct?

You have to ensure that you buy headers that are designated "factory connect" or "short system". If you do, they will bolt up.

2. Are Kooks 1 7/8" and high flow cats good to go with? Only heard good things about them but would love a little more input here.

Kooks is a very reputable brand but there are several others that you might want to consider. ARH and Stainless Works are both right there with them in terms of quality and performance.

With the major brands there shouldn't be.

4. Is it safe to drive 3 hours at freeway speeds to get them tuned? (plan is I install them in my garage and then drive to a tuning shop 3 hours away)

It is not ideal and you will get a CEL but it won't hurt anything.

Those guys at APEX Motorsports are pretty awesome!

Anything I'm forgetting?
Replied in red above. Also, take a look at the thread below. I wrote it to help answer a lot of the questions header buyers might have.

Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I have Dynatech headers from Jannetty Racing.... Love the fit and finish. They also do a remote tune so you don't have to wait.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Replied in red above. Also, take a look at the thread below. I wrote it to help answer a lot of the questions header buyers might have.

Choosing The Right Long Tube Headers
Thanks for the great replies in red!
I was going to say you guys as well since I've ordered several things from you in the past, but I saw that you didn't carry Kooks, that's the only reason I left you out!
Maybe I didn't look well enough, or maybe I should check out the other brands of lt headers that you carry..
I'll also give that post a read, thanks Chase.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Thanks for the great replies in red!
I was going to say you guys as well since I've ordered several things from you in the past, but I saw that you didn't carry Kooks, that's the only reason I left you out!
Maybe I didn't look well enough, or maybe I should check out the other brands of lt headers that you carry..
I'll also give that post a read, thanks Chase.
We just set up an account with Kooks but haven't received our stock. If that is the route you want to go then we can set you up.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
ROD_SS

Drives: 2013 1SS Camaro and a truck
Quote:

Anything I'm forgetting?
I have the NPP too with kooks long tube headers. 1. Yes 2. Yes 3.No issues with fitment at all. I didn't have to loosen it at all like some instructions. 4. I drove a week an a half babying it around town. Then I drove 2 hours to a tuner with no problems. I didn't do any wide open throttle pulls until after the tune.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Oh shit Apex is going to carry Kooks
Chase, I will be PMing you about this in about 10 min
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
Quote:

Anything I'm forgetting?
1)correct
2)that would be a great high quality perfect fitting combo
3) absolutely zero!
4) you can run them untuned for a long time don't let anyone scare you otherwise.

We are az's largest kook's dealer and would love to set you up w/ a pair for a great price!
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Oh shit Apex is going to carry Kooks
Chase, I will be PMing you about this in about 10 min
We are here when you are ready.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
Love my Kooks, great fit , well made . Got at Maryland Speed with ceramic coating .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargomike View Post
Love my Kooks, great fit , well made . Got at Maryland Speed with ceramic coating .

^^^^I did exactly this plus a JRE Tune and couldn't be happier. Chase is right on. The only other thing I will add to that is the steering shaft clearance issue. I did not have any clearance issues (I have about 1/2" clearance) but have read where others have; even with the reputable/popular headers. It think is just as much about the variation in the cars as the headers.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
fargomike
The Dude Abides

Drives: Black 2SS M6
We did have to disconnect the steering shaft but only for install ,perfect afterwards .

2010 Black 2SS/LS3/M6 Kooks 1 7/8 Ceramic Coated Headers, Borla ATAK CB , JRE Tune , Halltech Yellow Jacket CAI ,VMax Ported TB, PFADT Coilovers,Forgestar CF5's Textured Gunmetal w/Nitto Invo's 275/315 ,Hurst Billet Plus 2 Shifter AAC P13W Plasma LEDw/DRL Harness ,30% Tinting,
fargomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
Talks Cheap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-...bec489&vxp=mtr

We used these, They fit perfect, were easy to install and haven't had any problems in 3 years. They look like KOOKS,
Old 05-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #14
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
LG headers are sweet.Texas speed is a great place to save some money too..

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote