Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #29
E30Delara

Drives: 2014 Summit White ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The glitter is caused by the oil filter running in bypass mode a lot. What weight oil are you using? What oil filter?

In my drag car with a old school BBC, I use to see tons of glitter in the oil. I was using a Moroso or K&N filter. Especially tons of gold glitter whenever putting in new rockers or PRs. Here was the main problem I finally figured out - too thick oil causing way too much filter bypass time. I was using 20w50 and a racing filter - but those filters have a bypass valve.

I went down a little in viscosity to a 10w40 racing oil, and switched to a WIX racing filter with no bypass. Glitter stopped instantly. Even with a brand new rocker or two there will be zero glitter. The non bypass filter is now catching it all.

Now, you can't use a WIX racing filter on the street. Especially on an OE engine with tight bearings. But you can use a WIX XP, the right oil weight for your application/use/ambient.... and don't romp WOT until the oil temp equals engine temp.

Visibly seeing anything in the oil means way too much filter bypass time. Filters filter in microns not visible to the eye. Even a racing filter with larger micron media gets out all the visible flecks.
Before, I was using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 w/a ACDelco UG UPF48R Filter.

I'm just about to go change out my oil again, but this time with Redline 5W-30 and a WIX 57060XP Filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyangAsh View Post
I hope so too... after my trunion install all oil was normal to the look. Didn't do an analysis.
What trunnion kit did you use?

Also, just to note, those flecks that I posted came out of the Oil Filter only, not when I drained the oil from the pan. I basically had to shake the oil filter for that "glitter" to come out.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #30
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Delara View Post
Before, I was using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-30 w/a ACDelco UG UPF48R Filter.

I'm just about to go change out my oil again, but this time with Redline 5W-30 and a WIX 57060XP Filter.

What trunnion kit did you use?

Also, just to note, those flecks that I posted came out of the Oil Filter only, not when I drained the oil from the pan. I basically had to shake the oil filter for that "glitter" to come out.
Smith bros kit.
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #31
E30Delara

UPDATE:

Changed my oil and it looks like there is still a very tiny amount of those flecks/glitter in my oil, mind you, this is just the second oil change after the trunnion and cam change.

Looks like my oil pressure is still holding, and is actually a bit higher than before. Didn't have room or time to find out WOT oil pressure. This is with Redline 5w-30 and Wix Filter.

Cold Start Idle- 4.1 Bar(60.27psi)
Hot Idle- 2.4 Bar(35.28psi)
Cruising 2100rpm- 3.4 Bar(50psi)

To me, it's looking pretty good. I'll do another oil change at around 1k miles and see where i'm at again. Also, any big chunks you see are definitely not from the oil change, it's a bit windy, so there is a little bit of debris.
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #32
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30Delara View Post
UPDATE:

Changed my oil and it looks like there is still a very tiny amount of those flecks/glitter in my oil, mind you, this is just the second oil change after the trunnion and cam change.

Looks like my oil pressure is still holding, and is actually a bit higher than before. Didn't have room or time to find out WOT oil pressure. This is with Redline 5w-30 and Wix Filter.

Cold Start Idle- 4.1 Bar(60.27psi)
Hot Idle- 2.4 Bar(35.28psi)
Cruising 2100rpm- 3.4 Bar(50psi)

To me, it's looking pretty good. I'll do another oil change at around 1k miles and see where i'm at again. Also, any big chunks you see are definitely not from the oil change, it's a bit windy, so there is a little bit of debris.
So, my car hot idles at 2.1 to 2.3 bar...this is of no concern to me. What would concern me is if I changed my oil twice and saw those flakes. NOT GOOD in my book.
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #33
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm assuming the minor amount of flakes are from the filter again? To me, that means it was a one-time non-recurring thing (the trunions), since the amount is a very small fraction of what was there originally. But, I'm no expert in LS bearing wear.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #34
E30Delara

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyangAsh View Post
So, my car hot idles at 2.1 to 2.3 bar...this is of no concern to me. What would concern me is if I changed my oil twice and saw those flakes. NOT GOOD in my book.
Well, I guess only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm assuming the minor amount of flakes are from the filter again? To me, that means it was a one-time non-recurring thing (the trunions), since the amount is a very small fraction of what was there originally. But, I'm no expert in LS bearing wear.
I concur. They are only from the filter, so it leads me to believe it's from the trunnion kit as well. I will change my oil again around 1.5k miles, and go from there.