Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #15
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
I wonder if there is a list of Vin numbers somewhere or do we need to rely on local dealers or GM. More of a convenience question.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #16
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
So I would assume us modded owners would fall into the "sorry, your SOL" category and have to cross our fingers or shell out for the replacement ourselves.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #17
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
This is the same exact issue that plagued the Saturn Ion Redline and Cobalt SS. I guess they didnt learn anything from that experience. Was always told you should learn from your mistakes. Lol!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #18
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
So should we all call and ask to get them replaced now or later lol
Yes, that's what I would like to know. Even if im not hearing the rattle yet can we still get the SC replaced before it makes noise.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #19
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
It's based on the VIN. I don't know if it's specific to a date of build or what. I went to the dealer lags week for a knock and bearing noise at idle before I found out about this and they couldn't duplicate it of course so turned me around then got a text from a friend at GM with the TSB. Called the dealer and gave them my VIN and my car was affected. Going in tomorrow again. Hopefully no hassle and they just order the parts. Dealer said he was unaware of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #20
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I understood it affects all of 12 and 13 models ...
Old 06-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...aro-zl1-models

For further information you can contact GM at 1-800-458-8006. You can also contact your local dealer with your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) to determine if your vehicle is affected.

According to this, certain VINs affected??? Why I asked.
I just called that number and they said they don't see anything about the SC problem yet.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #22
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
#13313: Special Coverage Adjustment - Supercharger Warranty Extension - (May 22, 2014)
Subject: 13313 – Special Coverage Adjustment – Supercharger Warranty Extension

Models: 2009-2013 Cadillac CTS
2012-2013 Chevrolet Camaro
Equipped with 6.2L V8 Engine (LSA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ConditionSome 2009-2013 model year Cadillac CTS and 2012-2013 model year Chevrolet Camaro vehicles, equipped with a 6.2L V8 engine (LSA), may have a condition where the engine’s supercharger may not function as designed. If this were to happen, the supercharger may develop a noticeable rattle noise at idle. The noise will typically go away when the engine RPM is raised slightly above idle. However, if left uncorrected, the problem, over time, may lead to contamination of the lubricating grease and cause the bearing to squeal. If left unaddressed, the bearing may overheat and can cause engine seizure or a no-start condition.

Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the supercharger. This repair will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 23, 2014, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 23, 2014, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles InvolvedAll involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #23
jbotta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post
I just called that number and they said they don't see anything about the SC problem yet.

My zl1 is 2012 464 off the line, Took a vid of the sound of the SC, Don't sound bad yet but I don't want to wait until it does, I called that number for gm and they don't see anything about the SC or anything about the letter that's going out to all the owners, I gave them the TSB # about the warranty and they do see that about extended warranty. I said I would call next week and that they are going to look into the SC for me. After seeing this post its strange that they have no info about all the zl1's having noise problems with the SC. I gave them my vin # and it did not come up with any problem. Im going to call my dealer and see if anything comes up with them.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #24
BlackZL1
BLACK ZL1

Drives: Dodge 3500, 2012 ZL1 VIN#371
I found this link...
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/gm-iden...140005491.html
Old 06-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #25
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I happen to be stopping by the dealer today after work and I'll have them check my VIN, but I'm willing to bet that this doesn't mean all the vehicles will automatically get a new SC.
I'll bet that they are just going to list the range of VIN's for the cars that were produced during the time they were installing SC's that had the spring-loaded coupler.
I'm guessing that it will still boil down to whether your car has the 'rattle' or not.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #26
I call it Vera

Drives: ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I happen to be stopping by the dealer today after work and I'll have them check my VIN, but I'm willing to bet that this doesn't mean all the vehicles will automatically get a new SC.
I'll bet that they are just going to list the range of VIN's for the cars that were produced during the time they were installing SC's that had the spring-loaded coupler.
I'm guessing that it will still boil down to whether your car has the 'rattle' or not.
My guess too.

GM is calling this an Extended Warranty, not a Recall.
I call it Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #27
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
My car has had the rattle for awhile now and was noted on my last service by the service manager when I brought it to his attention. We checked the TSB at that time and it did state that if the rattle did not eventually go away after accumulating X amount of mileage, the next step was to service the supercharger. I called my dealer this morning and after pulling up the warranty adjustment info using my vin#, they have me scheduled next week for a replacement of my supercharger.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
As previously stated, this has been an issue with the LSA (and LS9) since 2009. In November, 2009, Ed Piatek, the CTS-V's Program Engineering Manager at the time posted an explanation with regard to the "supercharger rattle", the spring-loaded coupler/isolator and also addressed some related durability issues.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...haft-wear.html

A recap of the timeline involving this issue (up to mid-2012), GM's TSBs and some pics of wear on the shaft can be found here:
http://hooniverse.com/2012/08/01/the...-supercharger/

There is also a YouTube video that shows in greater detail, the condition of the shaft and factory coupler after a few thousand miles with a comparison to a solid coupler after 7000 mi. The segment addressing this is from the 4:40 mark to 6:20 in the video...

BTW, this video was posted here in Jan, 2012 along with my reference to Ed Piatek's response to the issue in this thread...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...charger+rattle

It's great to see GM finally grabbing the bull by the horns and standing behind their high profile vehicles from Chevrolet and Cadillac.

As an aside, my V has no supercharger rattle after 4.5 years, but it's great to know that if it does develop the rattle, GM will fix it!

Best regards,

Elie

Tags
recall, supercharger, warranty