Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
bkircher

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Garnett Red
Jumping RPM needle/gauge

Hey there guys

Got a weird issue that is now turning into a big hassle. Took my car into service for a suspected loose screw or something inside the gauge cluster, the issue turned out to be a loose sway bar endlink. When I got the car back from the dealership, Chapman Chevy here in Tempe, the RPM needle just randomly jumps and moves all around.

I have a mechanic friend who referred me to his service friend that works at Freeway Chevy in Chandler. So I took the car into him to have them look at the issue, they suspected that it was a loose ground wire, they found a few loose ground wires and thought that would cure the problem, the issue is still there. I have been talking back and forth with the service tech, and he is saying that gm is saying, it is normal, of which I find, completely b.s.

Attached below in links are videos of my issue. It happens completely at random, but mostly when Im slowing down and when the vehicle is at temperature and has been out in the sun. Please also note when the needle moves, it does not affect the engine, it is just the needle.

Please let me know your thoughts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...WFzT3R1Y1QwaDA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...FhxRnl5OEZIS28

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...TBHVkxLZnVGb0U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...Hd2RmFja196ZEE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...ER6VWhRWVVaWEE
bkircher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #2
Jerry's 2LT

Drives: 2LT, Blue Velvet, Kalahari, Convert
I noticed in the videos that your voltmeter is also acting slightly erratic. I've never noticed my voltmeter making small back and forth movements. It may be normal and I just never noticed.

The only time my voltmeter acted strange was when I had a problem with the DIC blanking out periodically. The voltmeter would move in very large increments back and forth. The dealer claimed to have not done anything (the "cannot reproduce" thing). But they did fix it and I suspect it was a loose ground.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
exxit

Drives: 2016 1SS D1SC Methfed Lowered Wrapd
I have a whole thread on this one too and still no definitive answer. One guy was saying it is a ground near the motor on the passenger side. Haven't had time to address it yet, but doesn't affect engine RPM as you said. Just looks like shit if you're riding with someone.
// 3M/Gotch Design Sponsored Gloss Deep Space Colorshift Wrap //
exxit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:39 AM   #4
bkircher

Im taking it in tomorrow. They say they are going to fix it, they suspect its a loose ground somewhere. If it comes back with the issue still happening, gm corporate is gonna be getting an earful from me. They are gonna have to start replacing things if it comes to it.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
exxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkircher View Post
Im taking it in tomorrow. They say they are going to fix it, they suspect its a loose ground somewhere. If it comes back with the issue still happening, gm corporate is gonna be getting an earful from me. They are gonna have to start replacing things if it comes to it.
If you don't mind either asking for a pic, the bulletin, or a good description of what was done we would all GREATLY appreciate it.

I'm heavily modified and don't know my service guy well enough to trust that everything will be kosher if I roll the car in like that.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
bkircher

Ill do that for sure. I took it in one prior time and they said they tightened up some ground wires, however that did not do the trick. I will keep you posted with what they find and what they fix.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
exxit

What's going to be tough is the fact that it's getting colder and this seems to be tied to heat. Although you're in AZ
Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 AM   #8
bkircher

Its interesting you mention that, because the service tech who Im working with says that the cooler weather will help with being able to replicate the problem... I dont know, I feel like Ive seen it happen more when the car/weather is hotter than the past few weeks.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
exxit

It's been my experience that with this and the NPP rattle everyone just makes up some story to make you feel like you're in good hands. I work in IT. When there is a ghost in the machine, we don't just say that. We give an explanation. Even if there really isn't one yet. -_-
Old 10-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
bkircher

Got it back today, here is a copy of the service invoice detailing what they did. So far, I haven't had any issues yet. I've seen it minorly jump twice, but nothing like what it was before.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2017, 02:36 AM   #11
exxit

anyone have a map of where this ground is? would be curious. Will try some googlefu and report back tomorrow morning
Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 AM   #12
bkircher

I'm still having issues with this. Taking it back in tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
kkuldanji7982

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 1SS
May have found a temporary (we will see if this fix becomes permanent) fix for this.

My car was doing the same thing almost daily, where the needle would jump especially in 3rd gear. I noticed that my battery voltage reading was a little low (its been always at 14 when I first got my camaro and it was reading 11-12 ish) so I charged the battery overnight using Deltran battery tender. By the time I drove the car next morning,it was just at 80% charge since battery tender will trickle charge (slow charge at 1.5amps).

Its been a full week and my needle has not jumped once. I just wanted to share since quite a few people are having this problem as well.
kkuldanji7982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 12:42 PM   #14
exxit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuldanji7982 View Post
May have found a temporary (we will see if this fix becomes permanent) fix for this.

My car was doing the same thing almost daily, where the needle would jump especially in 3rd gear. I noticed that my battery voltage reading was a little low (its been always at 14 when I first got my camaro and it was reading 11-12 ish) so I charged the battery overnight using Deltran battery tender. By the time I drove the car next morning,it was just at 80% charge since battery tender will trickle charge (slow charge at 1.5amps).

Its been a full week and my needle has not jumped once. I just wanted to share since quite a few people are having this problem as well.
Weird update regarding this... So i let my car sit while I was out of state.. When i came back my battery was consistently in the middle whereas before it was always a bit lower but still within the outlined range... Ever since then it hasn't happened even though the outside temps have been sort of high. It's only been 2 days so I'll keep my eye on it.