Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
Motorboy8769

Drives: 2015 2ss
Slicks and axles??

Would slicks and skinnies and just axles be overkill on a stock m6?
Motorboy8769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
TOSTO RACING
STOCK ELIMINATOR

Drives: STOCKER
Nope not if your going for a good et . Be careful on the slicks I bent 1400 hp axles on drag radials leaving 2500 rpm .
Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Slicks are way easier on the drivetrain in a M6.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Motorboy8769

May be a dumb question but why are slicks easier on drive train? Would you be referring to a softer sidewall? I'm on a slightly limited budget originally I was going to do 4.11 gears cold air and wheels and tires but several people told me bad idea on stock axles with sticky tires. So I was going to do a cam headers and cold air through Steve at rdp. I was going to do that any way so no big deal but with the added power I'm worried about traction on stock wheels. I also would like to get the car set up to be able to come off the clutch fast, not side step it just lift my foot fast as I can or fairly fast I'm a bracket racer so consistency wins races. That's when I thought axles and wheels and tires and a 2 step would maybe help as I could leave harder. I just can't seem to make my mind up. I need some help. Normally my wife makes my mind up for me... Lol
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
TOSTO RACING
STOCK ELIMINATOR

Slicks break things unless the drivetrain can handle it drag radials spin enough hopefully not to break it, but are better than street tires . I would not put slicks on it unless it had a very good drivetrain (or you just want to slip it harder than on a drag radial if that makes sense ),and I don't mean anything irs . These axles they advertise that hold 1400 hp is a joke . They should advertise them as as long as you slip the clutch out of the hole you should be able to power shift second gear and it shouldn't break !! Lol . Are they stronger yes , but what is being advertised I find hard to believe . Believe me I've been through a set already and am scared to go to the track again on drag radials . There is a reason every car on here runs 12.50's at 140 lol ,they are afraid to leave in the cars and break them , everyone slips the clutch or leaves very low rpm to get these things to somewhat live. It will be very hard to be consistent on a drag radial for sure . Just trying to help and save you some grief lol a nice 12 bolt solid axle and a pro gear then you can leave at the moon and have fun like the car in my pic !

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 03-10-2016 at 07:55 AM.
TOSTO RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
Motorboy8769

I was hoping to avoid doing a bunch with the irs cause in a few years I plan on getting a 9" solid axle... Why waste mine you know. I really wish Chevy made the rear end better. Or have a option for solid 12 bolt or irs when ordering.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #7
Motorboy8769

Also would removing the front sway bar help save axles or hurt With stock wheels? Also same question for a dr / slick
Old 03-10-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING View Post
Slicks break things unless the drivetrain can handle it drag radials spin enough hopefully not to break it, but are better than street tires . I would not put slicks on it unless it had a very good drivetrain (or you just want to slip it harder than on a drag radial if that makes sense ),and I don't mean anything irs . These axles they advertise that hold 1400 hp is a joke . They should advertise them as as long as you slip the clutch out of the hole you should be able to power shift second gear and it shouldn't break !! Lol . Are they stronger yes , but what is being advertised I find hard to believe . Believe me I've been through a set already and am scared to go to the track again on drag radials . There is a reason every car on here runs 12.50's at 140 lol ,they are afraid to leave in the cars and break them , everyone slips the clutch or leaves very low rpm to get these things to somewhat live. It will be very hard to be consistent on a drag radial for sure . Just trying to help and save you some grief lol a nice 12 bolt solid axle and a pro gear then you can leave at the moon and have fun like the car in my pic !
Not trying to thread jack but at a higher hp level would you say it's even worth the money to upgrade to the 1400hp axles if you're going to be slipping off the line and not powershifting anyway?
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
TOSTO RACING
STOCK ELIMINATOR

Front sway bar removal won't hurt a thing . Anytime you can get the front end lighter and to come up as quick as possible it's a plus . I don't think it'll help the drivetrain or axles in any way though.

On the axles yes it's probably worth it depending on hp level because I've seen the stock ones break just from power shifting . The 1400 hp are stronger for sure just not as strong as advertised in my opinion . Just going from my experience on the issue. I mean they are rating them at what an Nhra pro stocker makes lol . I'd like to see them in a pro stocker lol . It's just the whole irs setup isn't drag racer friendly really . The 1400hp axles are a definate upgrade for sure, but you still have to be careful on dumping the clutch .

Last edited by TOSTO RACING; 03-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.
TOSTO RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #10
Motorboy8769

They are probably rating them on a rolling start. I'm guessing based on the fact a pro stock with and automatic teams would probably twist them up.... Drive line parts normally break in the first 60' especially with a stick. We race in a all manual group and I have learned a lot doing so we race a 8.20 Chevelle too. We run a McLeod soft lock style clutch now. years ago the knowledge of this would have saved a lot of money.... The clutch levers are weighted so the faster it spins the more pressure it applies and its adjustable so you can have it slip more off the line to save parts etc. but as you get up in rpm it applies more pressure. I really want to do this with the Camaro. I think it would allow a more consistent launch being able to dump the clutch and let it do all the slipping work.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
TOSTO RACING
STOCK ELIMINATOR

You are probably right on the rolling start that would make sense . We also run a McCleod soft lok in our stick shift stockers! Great clutch ! Ram also makes the same version which works excellent also !
Old 03-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
Motorboy8769

Any idea if anything like that can be put in the Camaro? Eventually I want to go to a mechanical clutch but I don't know about doing so with all the computer stuff. If you don't mind me asking where did you have your clutch work done? We used Hyatt and will continue to use his family's service since he recently passed away.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #13
TOSTO RACING
STOCK ELIMINATOR

Yes I had one in my 99 Ls camaro stocker , but I had a z bar setup like an older camaro uses . They make the clutch just have to figure out how to make the linkage work on a fifth gen . I know my uncle also used Hyatt. I personally just let ram or Mccloud rebuild the ones I had .
Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #14
Motorboy8769

Don't the 5th gen have the computer linked to the clutch in some way I thought I saw that in a 2 step post. I would much rather have a z bar than hydraulic. I can see some people wanting hydraulic for a controlled release but we aren't allowed to run those anyway.