Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #15
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
$27k.......yes two seven is what CarMax offered......holy crap I was speechless.....

I did have a good conversation with a potential buyer. His only concern, which I have thought about and haven't quite figured out how to skin the cat, is how he knows for sure the paint underneath the wrap is as perfect as I describe. At this point I don't have a great answer. I can absolutely connect anyone with the shop that put the wrap on, but other than that it's either trust or I spend the $1000 to pull the wrap off (or $500 or whatever it will cost). The problem is the fender flares and mirrors are painted gloss black to match the wheels/side skirts/spoiler, etc. so that's also an issue. We also talked about value. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay, period. I can ask $42k, but it's not worth $42k to a lot of people and that's fine. It does sadden me to see the value of these beasts seeming to drop......$75k new and now Carmax is saying it's worth $27k.....sucks......
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #16
Dr Chill

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Your Z is beautiful with the gloss black trim and wrap. I know for a fact you will regret selling it. I was planning on selling mine when I bought my Turbo S, but couldn't bring myself to do it. A year later I'm very glad I didn't sell it. If there's any way for you to swing both, do it!!!
2009 911 Turbo Cab
Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:44 PM   #17
rcandiloro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
Your Z is beautiful with the gloss black trim and wrap. I know for a fact you will regret selling it. I was planning on selling mine when I bought my Turbo S, but couldn't bring myself to do it. A year later I'm very glad I didn't sell it. If there's any way for you to swing both, do it!!!
Paid cash for the Z, I own it so the only expense is the insurance......not a matter of being able to swing both cars, I can, it's just one of those things......the family has six cars and the only two sitting in the garage are my two toys.....just utterly ridiculous......and the wife wants it gone so it goes......

I'm sticking to the $42k.....I think it's an unconscious way on my part to try and keep the car.....price it high (though I don't think it's ridiculous.....the wrap plus the ceramic coating was $3800), nobody will buy it, then at some point the wife will say screw it just keep the car.....
Old 01-14-2020, 10:26 PM   #18
GeneRoss

Drives: 14 Z/28 #368 02 SS(sold) 2012 Equus
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
$27k.......yes two seven is what CarMax offered......holy crap I was speechless.....

I did have a good conversation with a potential buyer. His only concern, which I have thought about and haven't quite figured out how to skin the cat, is how he knows for sure the paint underneath the wrap is as perfect as I describe. At this point I don't have a great answer. I can absolutely connect anyone with the shop that put the wrap on, but other than that it's either trust or I spend the $1000 to pull the wrap off (or $500 or whatever it will cost). The problem is the fender flares and mirrors are painted gloss black to match the wheels/side skirts/spoiler, etc. so that's also an issue. We also talked about value. A car is worth what someone is willing to pay, period. I can ask $42k, but it's not worth $42k to a lot of people and that's fine. It does sadden me to see the value of these beasts seeming to drop......$75k new and now Carmax is saying it's worth $27k.....sucks......
CArmax is full of it. That's blatant price manipulation. They'll turn around and list that car for 40K+.

It's a specialty car in a small market. Just have to wait a little longer, it'll go for what you're asking.
2014 Z/28 #368
GeneRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #19
Shoupaloop

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:

I also have a wrap and the original paint is corrected and ceramic coated. I would assume that the paint underneath will still be in excellent shape. The only wildcard is the soft paint on the black cars (which mine is/was.)
Shoupaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM   #20
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Firstly, sad to see it go. Secondly, good pick up on the GT4! Thirdly, this is strictly my opinion, no offense intended just my .02
The carmax offer was low ball for sure, but, they wont give you top dollar. WHile your car is incredibly clean and nice, i think what you're seeing is you took a narrow window for buyers, and made it narrower. Meaning, the window for people looking for one of these is already small, and you're trying to find an even smaller subset of them willing to accept the wrap/painted bits. Now, that said, by all means price how you feel and like you said if it sells it sells, if not...w00t for keeping a fantastic car. But, if it really comes down to the nuts and bolts of it, peeling the wrap off might help and then the new owner would only have to contend with the painted bits if they so desire. For a clean two owner car, your in the ball park based on the graphs ive been keeping, prices tend to converge on 40k. Maybe drop a few bucks off the price if/when it really needs to exit the garage. Just a thought. And like I said, if it doesnt move Yay for two badass cars in one garage!
Attached Images

1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:51 AM   #21
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Ha, love it! Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.......and yes it's a Cayman.....with GT3 parts......after driving it for a bit I've got a pretty good idea how it compares to the Z......performance wise they are very close......the Z is maybe a hair faster in the straight line (0-60 and 1/4 mile are close......down low the Z is definitely pulling harder but high RPM they both pull very hard), but they GT4 corners a bit better (I think the Z beat it at the Nurburgring, my seat of the pants tells me the GT4 has a very slight edge, but I'm not a pro driver so take it for what it's worth?). It definitely feels like the 1000 lb lighter car that it is. Interior, no comparison, GT4 interior is gorgeous, but people buying the Z don't really care about the interior.......looks are subjective. I LOVE the Z/28 looks, very aggressive, but in my humble opinion the GT4 is one of the most beautiful cars on earth, just me......you have to see it in person, pics don't do it justice. Trust me I have some serious remorse giving up the Z......I'm heading to CarMax, where I fully expect a terrible appraisal, so I'll keep it on the market. The GT4 was very much an impulse buy on my part and I'm stuck with it now......had the Z been there I may have not made the jump. But have no doubt the GT4 is an awesome car, when I'm driving it I have zero regrets.......
Of course ... It's just your choice.

But when I look at this ...

And this..

So I think you're taking a step back. Step??? Ten steps! Thousand steps!!!
You start the Z / 28 and you hear hell.

Start the.... vacuum cleaner under the hood of the Porsche and make cry dogs and cats.

No ... Z is Z.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #22
rcandiloro

Appreciate all the inputs and advice.......and definitely aware that I'm losing money on the Z......cars now selling in the high 30s.......it is what it is......

As for Z vs GT4......it was definitely an impulse purchase. All of us have our own subjective opinions about what lights our fire. Pictures really don't do the GT4 justice. I have both cars sitting next to each other in my garage. The Z looks mean as hell, but the GT4 is pure sex.....and yes, totally different motors, totally different sounds. I love the sound the Z makes, pure V8 roar, but man oh man the howl the GT4 makes is music to my ears too......pure race car......

Trust me folks it's killing me to sell the Z, it really is.......
Old 01-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #23
rcandiloro

And I do sincerely appreciate the .02 cents people give on the forum and absolutely respect those that think I'm crazy to give up the Z for a GT4.......I lost my ego long ago so I don't get offended when folks disagree
Old 01-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #24
Shoupaloop

Drives: 2015 Z28
How is it getting in the Prosche vs the Z?

I drove a Cayman a couple years ago at Exotics Racing in Vegas. I didn't have the Z/28 back then - I had a Charger SRT. I don't really remember the Cayman being tight and I'm a big fella.
Shoupaloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #25
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
And I do sincerely appreciate the .02 cents people give on the forum and absolutely respect those that think I'm crazy to give up the Z for a GT4.......I lost my ego long ago so I don't get offended when folks disagree
You're definitely not crazy... the GT4 is an amazing automobile. The sound, the feel... you are a lucky man. I sold a Cayman S to get into the Z/28. I hope to keep the Z/28 and add a GT4 in the next few years. I owned a '07 997 GT3 and had to sell when my business had a bad spell and will never ever forget that car. Porsche GT cars are special. (so is the Z/28!)
Best of luck with the new ride!
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #26
rcandiloro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoupaloop View Post
How is it getting in the Prosche vs the Z?

I drove a Cayman a couple years ago at Exotics Racing in Vegas. I didn't have the Z/28 back then - I had a Charger SRT. I don't really remember the Cayman being tight and I'm a big fella.
The GT4 is tight, but I'm a small dude so not a big deal. This particular GT4 has the GT Carbon Fiber lightweight seats, which are super cool, manual like the Z/28, but obviously not as comfortable as the standard GT4 seats.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #27
rcandiloro

Somebody needs to buy my Z because it's killing me looking at it every day......thinking of taking it off the market.....ugh......
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #28
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
You're definitely not crazy... the GT4 is an amazing automobile. The sound, the feel... you are a lucky man. I sold a Cayman S to get into the Z/28. I hope to keep the Z/28 and add a GT4 in the next few years. I owned a '07 997 GT3 and had to sell when my business had a bad spell and will never ever forget that car. Porsche GT cars are special. (so is the Z/28!)
Best of luck with the new ride!
Ouch! Thats gonna be “wish i still had it...” for a long time type of car. Those things went through the roof price wise and on top of being badass cars!!
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote