Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Decibel Level

Does anyone have an idea on what the decibel level is at WOT on the "completely stock" Z/28 is?

I need 88 db at 50 feet. Am I dreaming?

Thx
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #2
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
Does anyone have an idea on what the decibel level is at WOT on the "completely stock" Z/28 is?

Thx
Is that for jersey inspection or such?
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
It's about 47 to 48.9db from inside the car.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #4
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
It is mid to low 90s at 50ft and WOT. I want to say I was around 93-94 when I tested mine at the local track that had a sound limit of 96db

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Biergut

Race track sound limits. Like my note said, I need to be no louder than 88 db at 50 feet from the car at WOT. That is where the sound meter will be.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:

Thx
I don't think you have much chance at WOT to be under 88db at 50' Have not been measured myself but know that a buddy failed at Laguna Seca on a 95 db day - sound booth is betwwen 5 and 6 on the way up the hill and is about 75' - 100' off the track.

Lot of factors come into play, but lifting or short shifting can help also turning exhaust pipe outlets away from sound booth can help as well. But at 88db will be tough to pass.
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #7
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
You can pick up a decibel meter from amazon for less than $25, or get an app for your smartphone to see if you're in the ballpark.

As others have mentioned environmental factors can affect the measurement at any given event.

I've been running about a dozen autocross events a year for the last three years where they measure from 50 ft on the runs, not in the paddock. They warn at 93 and dnf the run at 96. I was warned once in about my fifth event (on one run of 7 in the event) and never since. It may have been a bad measurement. I don't think I'm pushing 85.

I've installed a Forza exhaust controller but have never had to use it at an autocross. Completely stock engine and exhaust.

Are they measuring during the event or in a tech inspection?
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by craZed View Post
Are they measuring during the event or in a tech inspection?

Good feedback, thanks craZed.

They measure in different spots throughout the day while cars are on track. I'm speaking specifically about Lime Rock Park, so if anyone is out there and has run at LRP -- chime in.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Dixon Racing

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot
These cars are surprisingly loud, I short shifted at Laguna Seca in the section where the decibel meter was. Instead of climbing the hill in 3rd, I shifted into 4th. This was in the morning, in the afternoon I left it in 3rd up the hill and didn't get flagged. I think they stop checking sound in the afternoon, who knows. This was a 90db limit, 88 is going to be tough, if short shifting doesn't work you may need "Laguna pipes".
Dixon Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon Racing View Post
These cars are surprisingly loud, I short shifted at Laguna Seca in the section where the decibel meter was. Instead of climbing the hill in 3rd, I shifted into 4th. This was in the morning, in the afternoon I left it in 3rd up the hill and didn't get flagged. I think they stop checking sound in the afternoon, who knows. This was a 90db limit, 88 is going to be tough, if short shifting doesn't work you may need "Laguna pipes".
Thanks, Casey. I think you're right. Also given it's one of the earlier events in the season they know the local citizens will be even more ever-mindful of the noise. So many of us in the NE who have thousands of laps at LRP no longer visit as cars get more and more developed. (read: loud) I might give it a go as my local club always needs instructors... if they flag me -- well, they flag me.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Makes me wonder if you could ever get one with LTs on the track. I know mine echoes through blocks when I get on it; I imagine so does everyone else's with LTs.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #12
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Keep it down in here. Lol. Our nation is great, but the 1% of "me too" types ruling the other 99%, is becoming a real problem. That track has been there for half a decade. You don't like noise? Don't buy a home near there. Before long they won't allow anything but EVs on the track. Bunch of beta males ruled by alpha females must live in that area. Sorry to take the thread off point. Carry on.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Keep it down in here. Lol. Our nation is great, but the 1% of "me too" types ruling the other 99%, is becoming a real problem. That track has been there for half a decade. You don't like noise? Don't buy a home near there. Before long they won't allow anything but EVs on the track. Bunch of beta males ruled by alpha females must live in that area. Sorry to take the thread off point. Carry on.
No need to apologize -- I agree with every point you made! I love the "beta male/alpha female" observation and I'll have to use it often! Living in NJ is difficult at best as a business owner, conservative republican, and NRA member who loves V8 engines!
Old 01-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #14
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
No need to apologize -- I agree with every point you made! I love the "beta male/alpha female" observation and I'll have to use it often! Living in NJ is difficult at best as a business owner, conservative republican, and NRA member who loves V8 engines!
And paying 98% income tax lol
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote