Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #15
1BadLE

Drives: '13 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I outran my 2nd ZL1 today in my 2014 1LE.

The first was at the Texas Mile. I turned in a slightly higher MPH than the new paper tagged ZL1. At the time, I just assumed he was taking it easy on his new car.

Today, I made 4 runs with a ZL1 from around 60 mph, all the way to 165. In each event, I pulled the ZL1; albeit very slightly.

My 2014 1LE has almost 40K miles, and is a daily driver. It’s got a few bolt-ones, but nothing more than long tubes, high flow cats, CAI, and a computer tune.

I’ve been really surprised both times. Mustang Dyno computes my HP at 517. So I’m not sure why I’ve outrun these two Zl1’s, but it certainly happened!

Any similar experiences?

I have a '13 1LE with HF Cats and a LSR CAI along with a soft tune. I've never been on a dyno so i can't tell you what i make power wise but I have yet to lose to a ZL1 whether it be from a roll or dig all the way thru the top end. My uncle has a ZL1 and another guy in town also has one and they both struggle to get by me on the streets or the track. matter fact neither one can break a 12 sec pass and i run 12.5s-12.6s consecutively. so yes it is very much possible but then again i get told i have a FACTORY FREAK! ALL HAIL THE 1LE
Old 07-29-2015, 05:58 AM   #16
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadLE View Post
I have a '13 1LE with HF Cats and a LSR CAI along with a soft tune. I've never been on a dyno so i can't tell you what i make power wise but I have yet to lose to a ZL1 whether it be from a roll or dig all the way thru the top end. My uncle has a ZL1 and another guy in town also has one and they both struggle to get by me on the streets or the track. matter fact neither one can break a 12 sec pass and i run 12.5s-12.6s consecutively. so yes it is very much possible but then again i get told i have a FACTORY FREAK! ALL HAIL THE 1LE
You have a good running car but I think a near stock 1LE running 12.5-6 is more normal than two ZL1s being unable to get out of the 13s... They must both be piss poor drivers or they both have problems going on with their cars.

What are the trap speeds for your cars and theirs though? Trap speed is equally as important as ET.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:33 AM   #17
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
you're not allowed to post things that upset ZL owners
Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #18
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
I’ll be the first to admit that I do not understand why or how my 1le beat both the ZL-1’s. Some of you said it’s the driver; I suppose that’s the most plausible explanation. I suppose it’s possible the guy shifted to 6th gear… but I was pulling him the entire run from 65 to 165 once and from 65 to the mid-150’s 3 times. Keep in mind, I may have gained 2 car links that entire period, so I wasn’t pulling the ZL-1 by much.

Oh, and my horsepower calculation is from a Mustang dyno calculated to be 517 at the flywheel, not to the rear tires. The other consideration is that it was HOT here in East Texas during our encounter. Temperature was bouncing between 99 and 100 on my heads up display. That may have given an unusual advantage to my N/A engine.

The guy in the ZL-1 pulled up and talked to me afterwards, and couldn't believe the outcome any more than I could. He asked if I'd had much work done to my car, and I said "yes" mainly hoping to make him feel better! He asked If I'd installed a super-charger on mine...which of course I haven't.

I think most of your points are well taken. Maybe the guy in the ZL-1 at the Texas Mile really was just taking it easy on his new car, and maybe this guy went into 6th gear... who knows.....

Last edited by thompstl1; 07-29-2015 at 07:08 AM. Reason: add info
thompstl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #19
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
you're not allowed to post things that upset ZL owners
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #20
rjs2010SS

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1 BELLA*
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadLE View Post
No to mention they are most likely spinning with the extra 100 or so HP. That was my biggest problem. Once I figured out how to launch on street tires I was low 12s. That was before mods... now I'll be in the low 11s with some good drag tires. My 60 ft times were horrible which was killing my times. I barely got a 12.9. Just saying there is alot more involved outside of saying your car is faster...
Roto Fab CAI, Roto Fab Big Gulp, Jokerz ported SC/Snout, LS7 TB ported, ATI Balancer, 28%(10") Lower Pulley, 2" Headers, No Cats,Forza 3way, E85 Flex Fuel sensor , ID850 injectors,, BTR Stage 3, Ron Davis HX, Mighty Mouse CC, APR Splitter, Aero Sports Concepts Splitter Kit, Showstoppers CarbonFiber wicker bill, MRR Wheels. 720rwhp/690tq on 93, 762rwhp E85.
2013 AGM ZL1 Bella*
2010 MGM Toyota Tacoma
2010 CGM SS (Traded)
1996 Black SS (Sold)
rjs2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #21
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
People often disregard just how important the driver/owner of the car is in relation to its performance.

All things being equal, ZL1 is the faster car, period.

But the right owner/car combo can surely embarrass a superior vehicle...
Old 07-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #22
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
People often disregard just how important the driver/owner of the car is in relation to its performance.

All things being equal, ZL1 is the faster car, period.

But the right owner/car combo can surely embarrass a superior vehicle...
All good points to be sure. I was also thinking he may have left his air conditioner running. It's almost automatic for me to turn off the A/C when competing. So maybe A/C, inexperience and being in the wrong gear account for the issue.

I have no doubt the ZL-1 is the superior car.... But winning two out of two had me wondering!

Last edited by thompstl1; 07-29-2015 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add
thompstl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #23
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Two samples does not a validated trend make, although you always have to be happy with a win, no matter why. So congrats on that. If you were say, 10-0 vs 10 different ZL1s, then that's a trend worth noting.

See if you can get one of them to swap cars and do it again...that will tell you all you need to know. If you lose after the swap, then you need to hold on to that 1LE!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 AM   #24
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
I too have had a similar experience. I have a good buddy with a ZL1 that met up with me shortly after he got his car to do a few runs. He was stock other than CAI. I had the bolts ons listed below. His is stick too. We did two runs from a roll going from about 25-100mph. Both times we were dead even. We were both suprised. In fact after that encounter he felt he had to do something. So he now has LT, hiflows, PTB, and a nice tune. We haven't met up again yet to race, but no doubt he will take me now. I think he said he is doing appx 535-540hp to the wheels now. No clue where he was at when we raced.
Don't know why he didn't do better than stay even with me. I'm a decent driver, but nothing special. Even at a 25mph start point, I had some spinning, though not bad. So even if he had spun, he wasn't the only one. But it was warm enough and being 25mph start, I think we both hooked reasonably well. Maybe he was heat soaked? Though I think it was perhaps only in the 80's. Maybe he had poor gas? Don't know.
Kong Ported Supercharger, Nick Williams 103mm Throttle Body, Roto-fab Big Gulp CAI, Kooks 2" LT Headers, AWE 3" Touring Exhaust, Cordes Expansion Tank, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, MS Tuning -- 661whp & 684ftlbs
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #25
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIN R G View Post
I know just how you feel. Last week I totally smoked a 2015 ZO6 at the track. He could stick with me a little in the corners, but I would just walk away from him on the straights........... Then I woke up, I had to pee!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #26
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Go run your car at the track and really see how fast it is, anyone can win against a poorly driven car but you beat the driver not the car
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #27
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
Go run your car at the track and really see how fast it is, anyone can win against a poorly driven car but you beat the driver not the car
+1

ZL1 driver error. If you look at the fast list a stock Zl1 has run 11.558 in the 1/4 and with bolt-ons 10.052. So far a bolt-on 1LE has not cracked 12.3. Or has it?

Which car has the potential to be faster? Simple.

For some reason the 2013 and up SSes including the 1LE seem to dyno higher than the older SSes. EPS? Gearing? But no matter they aren't any faster in the 1/4.

Not taking away from your experience OP, you beat a faster car. Nice driving.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
I’ll be the first to admit that I do not understand why or how my 1le beat both the ZL-1’s. Some of you said it’s the driver; I suppose that’s the most plausible explanation. I suppose it’s possible the guy shifted to 6th gear… but I was pulling him the entire run from 65 to 165 once and from 65 to the mid-150’s 3 times. Keep in mind, I may have gained 2 car links that entire period, so I wasn’t pulling the ZL-1 by much.

Oh, and my horsepower calculation is from a Mustang dyno calculated to be 517 at the flywheel, not to the rear tires. The other consideration is that it was HOT here in East Texas during our encounter. Temperature was bouncing between 99 and 100 on my heads up display. That may have given an unusual advantage to my N/A engine.

The guy in the ZL-1 pulled up and talked to me afterwards, and couldn't believe the outcome any more than I could. He asked if I'd had much work done to my car, and I said "yes" mainly hoping to make him feel better! He asked If I'd installed a super-charger on mine...which of course I haven't.

I think most of your points are well taken. Maybe the guy in the ZL-1 at the Texas Mile really was just taking it easy on his new car, and maybe this guy went into 6th gear... who knows.....

I will say heat may have had something to do with it! My best friend has a slightly modded '07 GT500. We ran our cars from a roll with the temps in the upper 90's and he wasn't blowing me away. I expected him to. He told me in the heat, he easily lost 75 hp!