Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-28-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
After 200k miles in my 1LE, finally starting to break things. Mysterious things.

So one day my car kept going into limp mode for no reason. The battery I had was kind of wonky and I suspected it was bad. Tested good but cranked weak so they replaced it. No effect. I get home and pull the codes to find the gas pedal is bad. Pick one up from the dealer the next morning and after a 10 minute repair it's back to normal.

Now for the mystery. For the life of this car the blower has been a little funny. I never knew if it was the blower motor or the HVAC controls causing the issue but usually when you run it for a few min it smooths out and behaves normally. Then a couple months ago this new variant of that problem appeared where the blower would not turn on at all. Compressor would run, blower would do nothing. Out of frustration I hit the dashboard and it turned on. Ok. Manual fan switch, I thought.

That kept happening and it got worse until one day it didn't turn on at all. Just out of pure coincidence, I went into the glove box for something and when I shut it, the fan came on. Not only that but it didn't do any strange crap. Works perfectly fine now! But nothing else does. When you turn on the AC, the compressor kicks on for two seconds, kicks off, then both cooling fans run at 100% until you stop the car and turn it off. This has been the status ever since.

I read about how somebody replaced a coolant temp sensor who was having the same issue but that didn't work. Since this isn't throwing any codes, my next purchase is going to be the HVAC control module itself. It's obviously something in the dash because of the glove box thing and some electronic whatsits is reading the temp wrong since it's kicking off the compressor and engaging the fans. I don't know what other temp sensor could cause this so HVAC module.

Anybody ever heard of this issue?
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:01 AM   #2
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
Unfortunately I never heard of this problem you are having interesting. I never heard of a gas petal breaking on a single Camaro before either sounds like a poor quality part. You are very fortunate after 200K+ miles your Camaro still runs. Our 10 SS has 151K miles and is on it’s very last leg and over due for a engine rebuild. What parts have you had to replace so far?? Any major components replaced yet??
Old 03-29-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Keep us posted.

My fan does weird stuff too where is slows down and speeds up on its own.

Also, my OBD2 connector has a loose connection, so at times when I log, it does wonky crap.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Wow , 200k that's impressive .Modern cars may have some electrical glitches from time to time but they sure beat the hell out of cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
extraurban

Drives: Junker
2015 here, similar issues with the blower never turning on, but it's hard to replicate and happens really infrequently.

What I find works is turning the fan control off, changing the airflow output (switch to feet only or defrost) and turning it back on, or some combo thereof.

Seems to happen more often when you leave the blower on when shutting the car off.
extraurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
Crand

The only thing I've done different with this car when compared to any other car I've owned is changing the oil the day the car tells me it wants it changed. Besides that, just regulat maintenance like spark plugs at 100k and 200k, have a pair of K&N air filters, one to run and one to clean, which I swap out every oil change. Never been a drop of low test gas or oil that wasn't Mobil 1. Perhaps I'm just lucky? But I am effing impressed the car is in this condition after this much use and can still go WOT when I want to.

I've read about some other people who have this same climate control problem, and extraurban, it sounds like what you're experiencing is the EXACT same thing I was. Those tricks worked for a while until the day nothing came out at all. I did the same thing, change air paths, turn recirc on and off, even cycling defrost cycle would sometimes cause it to kick on. But that all worked until the day it didn't. I really need to find some mechanical drawings of the wiring in this thing because the fact that the problem changed completely when I slammed the glove box can't be coincidence. We're talking I reached over, SLAM!, then the fan instantly came on but that's the last time the compressor ran.

Somebody said their problem was fixed by the coolant temp sensor. This sounded good to me so I did it but nothing changed. To me it feels like there's a sensor measuring the temperature of something somewhere and it's out of whack. One night when I came home the cooling fans wouldn't shut off so I pulled the negative battery cable. Later I reattached it and when I started the car the air was cold again. Then it was really cold. Then I sighed as I realized that it's still broken somehow because now it's not turning OFF. Once the engine got up to operating temperature, same deal as before, compressor clicks off, cooling fans try to cause an electrical fire with their intense speed.

I can't think of what sensor could be reading faulty and it has to be isolated in the climate control system because there aren't any codes being thrown. If there is some sort of temp sensor behind the dash, perhaps on the evaporator, and when I shut the glove box the shock caused it to fall off, that could be a thing. Anybody have any ideas as far as that goes?

My Nissan pickup had a thermistor on the evaporator coils which would cause it to cycle off due to dust buildup but this seems like the climate control system is sensing something somewhere in an overheat condition and adjusts the fans accordingly. The evap temp sensor is cheap. Could try that. The entire climate control pod is only $80 on ebay but I don't know if the logic is in there or elsewhere. If the climate logic is in a black box behind the dashboard, especially if it's near the glove box, I'm a rip that mofo out and slam in a new one.

Edit: I found the evaporator temp sensor (GM Part 92215205) on Amazon for $20 and with next day delivery so I'll be trying that on Wednesday. Unlike my Nissan, it appears I don't have to tear apart the evap housing to replace it. Looks like a breeze. The next part I'm going to replace is the blower control module. I don't know why it never worked right but started working after the rest of the system broke. Swapping it out regardless. GM Part 84178783 for anybody else who has blower issues.

Last edited by Crand; 04-01-2019 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 04-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #7
Crand

Problem persists. I took her by a friend's place over the weekend and had him capture the A/C charge. Later this evening I'm going to be replacing the A/C pressure switch, pumping it down, and recharging it. After that if it still doesn't work? New Camaro.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #8
Crand

Fixed. Seems to have been the pressure sensor. Even before it took up the charge, the fans weren't running at full chooch anymore. This problem had the most insane symptoms I've ever seen in a car's A/C system in my life.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crand View Post
Fixed. Seems to have been the pressure sensor. Even before it took up the charge, the fans weren't running at full chooch anymore. This problem had the most insane symptoms I've ever seen in a car's A/C system in my life.
So what does this mean? Your not going to get that new Camaro? You really should!
Old 04-10-2019, 04:17 AM   #10
Crand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
So what does this mean? Your not going to get that new Camaro? You really should!
Well, I may have the opportunity to do so next year so who knows? I'd love to move up to the ZL1 1LE but I'd feel so bad about using it as a daily driver. Or maybe I won't. Time will tell.

Last edited by Crand; 04-10-2019 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Wow 200k is goals! That's awesome that she's held up so long

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote