Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #43
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
Ted, thanks for all you effort, it really cuts through the marketing and gets right down to the actual meat of things. Being that the car was totally stock and the headers just bolted on, what gains beyond what you have here would one expect with a tune on top of the headers?

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #44
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

And the Headers with High flow cats, Sound with the Factory Exhaust, Music to my Ears.
Nice work...and as always, much appreciated.

Regarding the sound with the stock cans....I agree completely. My car sounded unbelievable with ARH and stock mufflers...but it was a bit loud...I installed magnaflow sport exhaust and it's QUIETER than the stock mufflers. I guessed it would be a little quieter, but was honestly surprised how much quieter it really is.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #45
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Hey was the testing and results without a tune right? How much more would you expect after a tune.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 AM   #46
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertway View Post
Ted, thanks for all you effort, it really cuts through the marketing and gets right down to the actual meat of things. Being that the car was totally stock and the headers just bolted on, what gains beyond what you have here would one expect with a tune on top of the headers?
Cutting through more of the marketing bull 5-10 RWHP with a tune, GM just did not leave us the room they did in the LS1 Days were 15-20 was the norm.

Tunes are more effective, (Gain wise) if fixing a problem created by a poorly designed part installed, or when tuning for a CAM package or Ported Heads or Supercharger etc.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #47
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
What about all the talk about o2 sensor codes? Did you have any of these issues? If not that makes all this even better.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #48
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
What about all the talk about o2 sensor codes? Did you have any of these issues? If not that makes all this even better.
I can assure you it is not just Talk, it is a Fact, any LT header cat system will set p0420 and p0430 Cat Efficiency codes.

I has to do with how long it takes to warm up the cats to operating temps.

The cats get moved further from the heat source so they take longer to heat up.

Codes are Less likely in hotter climates, and Start and Go Operation.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #49
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
So really there's no reason you MUST get a tune with these LTs. The only real issue is throwing an engine code right? I mean the computer doesn't start messing with the performance of the car once the codes come in?

I'm pretty set on getting these LTs and if I don't need a tune, then I'm not gonna waste the money. I'm sure the handheld tuners out there now can clear the code permanently can't they?
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #50
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Matt View Post
So really there's no reason you MUST get a tune with these LTs. The only real issue is throwing an engine code right? I mean the computer doesn't start messing with the performance of the car once the codes come in?

I'm pretty set on getting these LTs and if I don't need a tune, then I'm not gonna waste the money. I'm sure the handheld tuners out there now can clear the code permanently can't they?
No Code Clearing is Temporary, you must get a Custom tune for Permanent resolution.

In some cases Antifoulers work on the rear O2s, but it is a crap shoot.

Ted.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #51
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
So 2" headers made more torque!

Did I say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy
More than once.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
Thanks for running the test!!
It is some great info, and we all can see that ARH makes some mean headers!!
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #53
Monte

Drives: '88 Monte Carlo SS, '10 Camaro SS
On the stock run, HP and TQ don't cross at 5250, you might have to re-scale the graphs for a better comparison.
Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #54
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Matt View Post

As Ted said, GM didn't leave much on the table to be squeezed out with a tune but there are other benefits to a tune. Skip shift is turned off along with disabling cats so you don't throw a cel along with disabling all torque management on the engine side and transmission side. Disabling tm makes a huge difference in itself in the lower rpm's (3000 rpm and down). Squeezing an extra 5 to 10 hp out of the motor may not sound like much but combined with all the engines torque being made available makes for a much more enjoyable ride. Ted installed lt headers, hi-flow cats and dyno tuned my LS3 and I couldn't be happier. It seems to get even better the more the car is driven. Ted, please chime in if I,m wrong about any of this info.
aj2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #55
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj2ssrs View Post
As Ted said, GM didn't leave much on the table to be squeezed out with a tune but there are other benefits to a tune. Skip shift is turned off along with disabling cats so you don't throw a cel along with disabling all torque management on the engine side and transmission side. Disabling tm makes a huge difference in itself in the lower rpm's (3000 rpm and down). Squeezing an extra 5 to 10 hp out of the motor may not sound like much but combined with all the engines torque being made available makes for a much more enjoyable ride. Ted installed lt headers, hi-flow cats and dyno tuned my LS3 and I couldn't be happier. It seems to get even better the more the car is driven. Ted, please chime in if I,m wrong about any of this info.
Your absolutely Correct, Sometimes I give short answers to short questions

No doubt the Fun Factor of the Tune is Very High.

Ted.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #56
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Hey Ted, I switched gas stations because you were showing some knock retard kicking in (probably due to bad gas). Maybe that's why it seems to be getting better the more I drive it. Thanks again for the install, tune and also for the time you've taken running the cai and header tests.
Andy
aj2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote