Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #85
Gloss-it
King of Gloss!

Drives: Mod Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
I got some pretty decent refections in my yellow and this was on a cloudy about-to-rain day.

This was after a Adams FMP and topped with some Americana. You'll never get a mirror out of yellow, but it certainly does shine with some TLC.

Very Nice work~
Gloss-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #86
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
... So polishing and separate waxing is only needed if there is significant scratches, swirls, etc. Then a separate POLISH (abrasive) is needed.
Not true. That's what a lazy man would do (use a wax/polish combined product). That's OTC stuff and doesn't compare to products that are specifically designed to do one thing. It is like that in every aspect of life and business. A man who is fooling around with 50 different women is not all that good to any one of them. A man who concentrates his love and affection on one woman is the better man in general, and to the woman he loves. Products that spread themselves thin by trying to do too much will never stand up against a product that concentrates on one given purpose. Your OTC market is the prior. Jack of all trades, master of none.

I will say this. If you have never eaten filet mignon, why the hell would you go to a restaurant and pay $150 dollars for dinner with your wife? You wouldn't. But once filet mignon has danced on your tongue, you will never stick that crap they call steak at the Waffle House in your mouth again. Like fine cigars, professional detailing products is a learned appreciation.

Quote:
So I think in the end, I'll look for any of the brands I noted above that are OTC and trial them for durability.
That's fine, just make sure that you don't park next to me at Camaro5 Fest. You might not be able to see your car to get back in it!

Nine year old paint using professional products.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #87
floraneg

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
I got some pretty decent refections in my yellow and this was on a cloudy about-to-rain day.

This was after a Adams FMP and topped with some Americana. You'll never get a mirror out of yellow, but it certainly does shine with some TLC.

Are your stripes painted on or did you just wax them? They look very glossy.
floraneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #88
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
You mean that I won't get honest answers here?!

I do have to admit that Zaino is far too much on the bandwagon in this forum. I think people are being honest...they are just brainwashed!
Now I feel bad for saying that:(....Actually I learned ALOT of the basics here.
Before coming here I didn't even know the difference in a polish and wax...There are a few here that really know there stuff.

You will however learn more on a forum thats specific to detailing than you will a camaro,ford, dodge forum....thats all I was saying...
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #89
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by floraneg View Post
Are your stripes painted on or did you just wax them? They look very glossy.
I do wax them, although many people will tell you not to wax them. Truth of the matter is unless you have matte black stripes, wax shouldn't hurt them. However I wouldn't take a machine polisher to them. Just my .02 on stripe waxing. I'll wax em' till they fall off
Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #90
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
I unfortunately have no desire for a several step waxing process as I understand Zaino involves. What type of other wax product would be best for the Yellow Camaro. Does it need be only Carnuba sort of wax or would the $7 Nu Finish stuff be just fine. Like found here..

I'm sure some will have strong opinions on this, but most things don't live up to their claim when compared to super cheap alternatives that work just as well or better. Water spot remover vs vinager and water mixture...etc...

Who can enlighten us with a good alternative to Zaino for us lazy owners?!
Tried this Nu Finish last year and brought it back to Walmart, although it cleans well there is no depth to the shine.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 PM   #91
Booneabal

Drives: 2LT RS Rally Yellow
Used NXT II just now with great results
Booneabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #92
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
does it go on without leaving a residue?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #93
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
this is kinda like the Tundra commercial...

if you want a wax that is just as good as Zaino... why not just get the Zaino?
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #94
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
because I want something I (or anyone) can pick up anywhere. Oh and don't want to jump off the bridge just 'cause everyone else does!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:05 PM   #95
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
because I want something I (or anyone) can pick up anywhere. Oh and don't want to jump off the bridge just 'cause everyone else does!
Then the auto stores are full of stuff made exactly for you. They all perform the same so there's really no need to bang your head over the decision. Just grab a bottle of whatever and you're good to go.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #96
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Quote:

You may want to look around for the convenience factor. I found a place in my local town that actually keeps a rack of Adam's polishes (Terry's Tire World).

I laugh when people make the jump off the bridge comment. You are only hurting yourself. I take it you will only buy the cheapest hand tools as well..... because you don't want to jump off the Craftsman bridge... and surely not the Snap-On, Matco, etc. bridge.

I think the smarting thing would be to TRY some of the products and see if it is hype or actually provides results. Then, you can formulate an informed opinion (good or bad) and share it with others.

Unlike those who may see it as "jumping off a bridge", I have empirical knowledge of both the auto store shelf stuff, and pro-grade products. I can tell you that you are only selling you, and your paint short by buying that OTC stuff.

Right now, I am a Zaino fan because of the proven results -- proven to my eyes. I plan to TRY some Adam's products and then I will be able to choose which is better.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #97
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Good post FirstLSK.

I have found from experience that for the most part, you usually get what you pay for. It is taking that "leap of faith" and actually buying a quality product that folks who don't do so find hard to justify. They ask, "Why pay X for something when I can get Y for cheaper?" I have always said that if you are driving a 73' Pinto, I would understand. However, the cheapo route for a new Camaro? Now that I will never understand! These are NOT Ford Pintos!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #98
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Good post FirstLSK.

I have found from experience that for the most part, you usually get what you pay for. It is taking that "leap of faith" and actually buying a quality product that folks who don't do so find hard to justify. They ask, "Why pay X for something when I can get Y for cheaper?" I have always said that if you are driving a 73' Pinto, I would understand. However, the cheapo route for a new Camaro? Now that I will never understand! These are NOT Ford Pintos!

They aren't Ford's period! I've always been a firm believer that you should use the products that produce the results you are looking for. For instance I use Adam's products for most of my needs. However with the sporadic rain we are getting in so cal, I decided I needed to seal my clear coat with a synthetic for some extra protection, so out came the NXT 2.0. I wasn't in the mood to get the PC out for a MSW coat. I'll be back to my adam's products once the crazy weather is over, but I always keep a variety of products on the 'ol rack of goodies.

Some companies make products thats others don't - its just the way the cookie crumbles.