Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #71
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )

christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #72
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
I'm with the moderators on this. An auto will be offered at some point. Just not at first. The 1st gen CTS-V was manual only. They offered the auto only after going the LSA route.

I believe they just need some time to address the nuances of it and are concentrating on getting the manual out for now. Whatever they learned in those automatic test mules probably needs some further engineering for the Camaro application
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #73
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
I'm with the moderators on this. An auto will be offered at some point. Just not at first. The 1st gen CTS-V was manual only. They offered the auto only after going the LSA route.

I believe they just need some time to address the nuances of it and are concentrating on getting the manual out for now. Whatever they learned in those automatic test mules probably needs some further engineering for the Camaro application
One would wonder why even use the LSA if your purpose was not to offer it in Auto, surely there were better choices of engine if they wanted to do manual only
Old 02-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #74
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Some of the comments from the manual only crowd are just ridiculous. Like many others have stated... There are many reasons people (including me) prefer an automatic trans. That's just the way it is. Just because YOU prefer a manual, doesn't mean we all have to have one.

You may like peppers, but I don't want them on my cheese steak. So GM please, for me... Hold the peppers.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #75
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4me View Post
I really believe due to this open discussion over the internet that we will be seeing an automatic transmission available with this car. If not thier sales could be affected by as much as 50% and thats a big hit anyway you look at it. To be fair there still developing this car and trying to guage the demand etc., so lets wait and see what the final outcome will be.
So according to your logic if Ford & Chevy offered auto GT500s and Z06/ZR1s they could double their sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I also don't get the comparison made between the ZL1 and the ZR1. The Corvette is a sports car...the Camaro is a muscle car. These are two completely different vehicles. If I were to buy a ZR1 (as if I could afford it) it would most certainly be a manual, but I also wouldn't drive it every day.

I guess I just don't get all the hostility from some of the stick guys.
Just wondering what qualifications makes the Vette a sports car and the Camaro a muscle car.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #76
KeeBee

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS, 70 1/2 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
....ironically...the M6 Camaros have had more issues than the automatics...
Betting a lot has to do with driver error.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #77
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post

Nice vid..... lmao

However, the message was.......well............in the message.

Like those old fogeys who just won't allow Baseball to use instant replay.
"It ruins the tradition". ...... I say, FOOEY.

So while they are trying to save the manuals, how bout save the black and white TVs, and VCRs too..........
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #78
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
I personally think GM is making a mistake by not offering an auto option, especially considering the fact that more autos have sold than standards. I can assure you that there are a lot of auto SS owners that are potential buyers for the ZL1.

It's funny the way some of the manual guys assume that we're buying an auto because we can't drive a standard, or somehow aren't skilled drivers. It's ridiculous to think that we're not enthusiasts because we don't want to use a clutch. I've had just as many standard cars as manuals, and this time I chose an auto. I have a 80 mile commute to work and back every day, and I simply didn't want to deal with that third pedal. This doesn't make me lazy or incompetent, it was simply a choice and one I'm glad I made.

I also don't get the comparison made between the ZL1 and the ZR1. The Corvette is a sports car...the Camaro is a muscle car. These are two completely different vehicles. If I were to buy a ZR1 (as if I could afford it) it would most certainly be a manual, but I also wouldn't drive it every day.

I guess I just don't get all the hostility from some of the stick guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyt100 View Post

I am dumbfounded that because some people want a stick they think others shouldn't be allowed to have an automatic if they want it.

Why do they think they should determine what others can choose?

If you want a manual, get a manual. Just don't tell me I can't have an automatic if I want one.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #79
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Just wondering what qualifications makes the Vette a sports car and the Camaro a muscle car.
Because I drive both and was a naval aviator, I can answer that:

The Corvette is a fighter.
The Camaro is an interceptor.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM   #80
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
So according to your logic if Ford & Chevy offered auto GT500s and Z06/ZR1s they could double their sales?
I don't know if they would double, but I can assure you they would increase (especially on the GT500).

Quote:
This forum is full of opinions, and I just gave mine. I consider the Corvette a sports car. It has two seats, and isn't the best car for a daily driver. It is lighter and has better handling than a Camaro.

Here's a good definition from wordiQ:

"A sports car is a car designed for sporting performance above utility. While opinions differ as to the exact definition, most sports cars have two seats and two doors, and are designed to excel at a combination of acceleration, top speed, braking, and maneuverability. Great emphasis is often placed on handling—the ability of the car to remain in the control of the driver under challenging condition like when the car's tires begin to lose their grip on hard corners."

As I said, if I purchased a Corvette it would be a standard, but I wouldn't drive it every day.

Muscle cars generally have a back seat, and became popular as weekend drag racers. My very first car was a Camaro, and no one ever called it a sports car. They don't with this one either.

Here's the muscle car definition from Wikipedia:

"The term generally refers to 2-door rear wheel drive mid-size cars, and sometimes full-size cars equipped with large, powerful, V8s, and sold at an affordable price for street use and both formal and informal drag racing."

While some may argue that the Camaro can handle well (with an upgraded suspension), and that a Corvette is good at the 1/4 mile track, I think it's pretty obvious that these are two very different vehicles that fall into separate categories.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #81
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
This forum is full of opinions, and I just gave mine. I consider the Corvette a sports car. It has two seats, and isn't the best car for a daily driver. It is lighter and has better handling than a Camaro.
As I said, if I purchased a Corvette it would be a standard, but I wouldn't drive it every day.

Muscle cars generally have a back seat, and became popular as weekend drag racers. My very first car was a Camaro, and no one ever called it a sports car. They don't with this one either.
While some may argue that the Camaro can handle well (with an upgraded suspension), and that a Corvette is good at the 1/4 mile track, I think it's pretty obvious that these are two very different vehicles that fall into separate categories.
Well said.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #82
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
This is how I see it; If they offered the ZL1 in auto trans only, I would still buy it. I wouldn't let the fact that it is only offered as an M6 keep me from getting one. M6 FTW.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #83
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
This is how I see it; If they offered the ZL1 in auto trans only, I would still buy it. I wouldn't let the fact that it is only offered as an M6 keep me from getting one. M6 FTW.
Exactly my point - don't let subjective choices influence other people's ability to get what THEY want as well.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #84
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
[QUOTE=SUX2BU;2824882]So according to your logic if Ford & Chevy offered auto GT500s and Z06/ZR1s they could double their sales?

I can't speak for Ford and thier following, and as far as the Corvette esp the ZR1 that's for a more limited marketed crowd. At 115K each its a differant group of buyers who have deep pockets.

As far as how I estimated a possible 50% sales increase by introducing an automatic transmission as an option. Well about oh a couple weeks ago I asked forum readers here what they were currently driving. To my surprise at least half of the readers responded to this thread and indicated they were driving an automatic. Many gave very understandable explainations as to why they were driving an automatic and not a manual. Based on that feedback I believe that Chevy would be shooting themselves in the foot if this option was not included with this car. They already stated that this car will not be a limited production car and that they will try and fill as many purchase orders as possible.
As far as me personally I have not decided which way I'm going to go as far as the transmission is concerned, but I believe it should be an option to those who would like to have it.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote