Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #71
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Detonation will occur in the compression stroke, so both intake and exhaust valves will be closed at this time?

Also the actual throttle % is still dropping a little vs commanded TPS % bit right when it starts boosting.

why is your injector duty cycle 24% at this load range, what injectors are those and do you have the correct data for them? I cant remember checking this or not.

Your TPiS looks like its been sent from Mars? lol

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #72
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
Detonation will occur in the compression stroke, so both intake and exhaust valves will be closed at this time?

Also the actual throttle % is still dropping a little vs commanded TPS % bit right when it starts boosting.

why is your injector duty cycle 24% at this load range, what injectors are those and do you have the correct data for them? I cant remember checking this or not.

Your TPiS looks like its been sent from Mars? lol
So you are blowing my theory . I see the gap in Throttle and Desired Throttle...that is odd especially since I was easing into it...did not floor it. However, why else would it boost spike at that point? I was making boost...the bypass was closed, and all of a sudden I go lean, detonate and boost spike... Looking back at my logs, every boost spike was during detonation.

Now I remember my first theory was the boost spike was causing detonation, but I had a change of heart until you stated it wasn't an option.

Yes, my TPiS has been an adventure...I'm hoping the saying is accurate that good things come to those who wait... I'll be upset if I get a dud.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #73
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

It showed up! Now I have to pull Bill away from his build project to tune for my new TB...
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #74
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
So you are blowing my theory . I see the gap in Throttle and Desired Throttle...that is odd especially since I was easing into it...did not floor it. However, why else would it boost spike at that point? I was making boost...the bypass was closed, and all of a sudden I go lean, detonate and boost spike... Looking back at my logs, every boost spike was during detonation.

Now I remember my first theory was the boost spike was causing detonation, but I had a change of heart until you stated it wasn't an option.

Yes, my TPiS has been an adventure...I'm hoping the saying is accurate that good things come to those who wait... I'll be upset if I get a dud.
Detonation will cause Air flow to Stall in the Manifold which feeds back to the MAF and shows up as Less Flow during detonation, less injectors Milliseconds and more timing in some cases.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #75
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Detonation will cause Air flow to Stall in the Manifold which feeds back to the MAF and shows up as Less Flow during detonation, less injectors Milliseconds and more timing in some cases.

Ted.
So does that mean my theory may make sense? About the detonation causing the boost spike?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 06-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #76
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
So does that mean my theory may make sense? About the detonation causing the boost spike?

Thanks,
Pat
ABSOLUTELY
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #77
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Installed the TPiS...I have some tune opportunities all the way around. Was able to reproduce the boost spike by getting off and stabbing the throttle with slim to no throttle delay. BTW, I was not logging AFR on this log, I certainly had a lean spike when I got back into it...

Too bad Ted's not in Houston ...
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #78
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Tune it SD!
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #79
Mike TexaSS

Drives: 454 LS7 Camaro SS
Mike TexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #80
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS View Post
Tune it SD!
That is on the list, but next step is a Sunday tuning appt. w/Patrick G...
Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #81
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

No update...as I was starting my car to head to Victoria to meet Patrick (2 1/2 hr trip), my water pump pulley fell on to the ground.

This was my 3rd attempt to install that damn 10 rib pulley on my 2nd water pump...this one held up for a couple months...I thought it was a good fix...until I heard my pulley bounce on the ground.

I've been driving like this for months...how lucky am I that when the shaft decided to break, that I would be in my garage! As disappointed as I was about missing my tune appt., I was very happy this happened in my garage!

Anyway...boost spike is temporarily on hold. Meziere Electric Water Pump on the way (no pulley swap required ). Hope to be back on the road in less than a week...
Old 08-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #82
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Found a work around

So I finally have my tune to the point I'm not seeing any KR when I stab it! , BUT I'm not thrilled with the work around.

After numerous car issues (damn water pump 10-rib pulley), I finally made it to Pat G's in Victory, TX to tune (specifically the VE coefficients). Unfortunately during tuning, my water pump pulley fell off. We were able to get through the dyno tune with some bailing wire and duct tape (thanks to Pat G and Kurt's help and patients), but did not get to road test it.

(BTW, anyone putting a 10 rib pulley kit in, buy the ligenfelter water pump with the 10 rib pulley already on...trust me, its worth it! - I only wish I knew about it 4 water pumps ago...)

After I got past my water pump woes, I final tested it hard...the lean tip is pretty much gone, but the boost spike was still there resulting in KR (see first pic). So now I'm back to my original theory that the boost spike is resulting in KR (vs. the KR causing the boost spike).

So I decided for now to "govern" the throttle opening rate (Airflow -> ETC -> Area Rate Limits Opening Rate). To prevent the KR, I had to drop 3rd and 4th gear down from 100% to 2% for the "Throttle Area Increase Rate". I was concerned with the impact, but if you see the 2nd pic, it gets back to 80% throttle almost immediately and then gets back to WOT about .1s later... I think this penalty will be much less of an impact than the 10* of KR ...if I ever make it back to the track, I hope to find out.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #83
dookie454

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Hey PMJ... were you over at HPTuners asking about this? If so I'm the one (10_SS) that mentioned reducing the opening rate... So far so good? It's a must I believe.

I was wanting to find someone with this same blower as myself to see if you notice a spike from around 95-110kpa? This would be when the bypass valve closes I assume... so imagine part throttling it then it gets to about 95kpa then suddenly bumps to 115kpa as the bypass closes I assume... this is kinda annoying since there is no way to smoothly transition...

It actually causes a problem on a road course going around corners when your on the cusp of slide...

If you dont see it them maybe I need an adjustment or something.

my LT1 Procharger never did this... silky smooth transition.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #84
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie454 View Post
Hey PMJ... were you over at HPTuners asking about this? If so I'm the one (10_SS) that mentioned reducing the opening rate... So far so good? It's a must I believe.

I was wanting to find someone with this same blower as myself to see if you notice a spike from around 95-110kpa? This would be when the bypass valve closes I assume... so imagine part throttling it then it gets to about 95kpa then suddenly bumps to 115kpa as the bypass closes I assume... this is kinda annoying since there is no way to smoothly transition...

It actually causes a problem on a road course going around corners when your on the cusp of slide...

If you dont see it them maybe I need an adjustment or something.

my LT1 Procharger never did this... silky smooth transition.
Yes, same PMJ. I finally made it back to the track last weekend. I finally got my 10s run, but the slower throttle actually hurt more than it helped (I should have look closer at my logs while I was there).

The above log shows a nice gradual transition to WOT...this was on the street and I thought it was a good fix. As you can see in my first run at the track below, the slower throttle turned into a mess... I guess I was shifting too fast . You can see I shift, floor it, the TPS opens rapidly to 50%+, then starts to close back down to 30%, and then flies open about as rapidly as I floored it originally and results in the exact same boost spike and lean spike...just took longer to get there.

I'm as confused as ever, but when I get this issue solved, I can take another .5s off my time!

I'm headed back to Victoria to see Pat G again. This time we are going with a SD tune in hopes of removing the lean spike.

-Pat
Attached Images

Tags
whipple