Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #71
arussh

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs, 1990 iroc-z
i waited until powertrain was almost finished b 4 i did any serious mods, but then oh yeah modcity. Sorry to hear your predicament. Have you considered dealing the car?
2011 2SS/RS 6.4 sleeved ls7, ported CTSV supercharger; zl1 hat,fuel pump with Kenny Bell boosta pump,102 throttle body,6l90e g-force driveshaft,zl1 rearend and axels, ID 850s, dual pass heat exchanger; Auto Tech electric water pump;160 degree themostat; ls7 pushrods,rockers; Metco polished pulley kit, 2.4ud; ls3 assessory bracket kit;2 Hayes trans coolers; CAI intake; Texas Speed 1 7/8 headers; 3" Magnaflow exhaust; Alkycontrol meth kit; p;Elite catch can; BMR 1" lowering springs,
ZL1 10" front 11" rear rims, trans and engine tune by wally a.
arussh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:13 AM   #72
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Hmm. No one knows about the Magnuson vs. Moss act? I had a dealer give me some crap about a CAI once. Brought in a copy of this law and then asked them if they want me to contact the attorney general’s office. Funny how everything was good and taken under warranty
Old 06-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #73
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchonutty View Post
Hmm. No one knows about the Magnuson vs. Moss act? I had a dealer give me some crap about a CAI once. Brought in a copy of this law and then asked them if they want me to contact the attorney general’s office. Funny how everything was good and taken under warranty

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #74
hntrgthrs

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:

You do know that you're going to have to litigate if you go that route, right? The M&M Act is a great thing on paper. But once you actually get into the nuts and bolts of it, you're going to need to bring suit against GM and their army of highly paid attorneys (of which will bury you or your attorney in paperwork and motions) if you really want to fight something like this and GM doesn't want to give in.

So we can always point to the Act, but the problem is that the Act also means you are putting out a lot of money to sue in the first place. It's not nearly as much protection as we'd like to think it offers.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #75
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hntrgthrs View Post
You do know that you're going to have to litigate if you go that route, right? The M&M Act is a great thing on paper. But once you actually get into the nuts and bolts of it, you're going to need to bring suit against GM and their army of highly paid attorneys (of which will bury you or your attorney in paperwork and motions) if you really want to fight something like this and GM doesn't want to give in.

So we can always point to the Act, but the problem is that the Act also means you are putting out a lot of money to sue in the first place. It's not nearly as much protection as we'd like to think it offers.
Actually you are wrong. Since it is federal law, a high dollar attorney is not needed. It is illegal for a car maker or stealership to make your warranty conditional based upon the addition of aftermarket parts especially a catch can. They have to either provide you a similar product free of charge or show with no doubt said alterations caused said issue I should know because I own an aftermarket business that caters to new car dealerships. I also personally ran into this with my new VW Jetta with a CEL. Dealer tried to blame my addition of a subwoofer and digital amp to the factory headinit of a consistent EVAP code. Turned them into Ohio Attorney General and filed a lemon law complaint that went nowhere. Retained an attorney with all my paperwork and they settled out of court. I ended up with $15k and kept the car (that another dealer found and fixed the issue). Used that to buy a new Silverado.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #76
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Actually you are wrong. Since it is federal law, a high dollar attorney is not needed. It is illegal for a car maker or stealership to make your warranty conditional based upon the addition of aftermarket parts especially a catch can. They have to either provide you a similar product free of charge or show with no doubt said alterations caused said issue I should know because I own an aftermarket business that caters to new car dealerships. I also personally ran into this with my new VW Jetta with a CEL. Dealer tried to blame my addition of a subwoofer and digital amp to the factory headinit of a consistent EVAP code. Turned them into Ohio Attorney General and filed a lemon law complaint that went nowhere. Retained an attorney with all my paperwork and they settled out of court. I ended up with $15k and kept the car (that another dealer found and fixed the issue). Used that to buy a new Silverado.

I thought altering the emissions system was against federal law?
Isn't adding a catch can is against federal law.
You say it is so easy to prove, why are there not any cases where gm has lost this battle in court?
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:34 AM   #77
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty act has to do with the enforcement of written warranties. Nowhere does it say you can modify your car and then make the warrantor prove your modification was the problem. The FTC has stated that a manufacturer can not deny your warranty solely because you have an aftermarket part. The FTC has defined an aftermarket part as "a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer". Aftermarket does not mean "modification" of the warrantor's design, it means you can replace a part of the original design with a part made by someone else providing that part falls within the OEM specification. If you have a claim, the manufacturer has to prove that the OEM spec'd part caused the failure before denying the warranty. Its real easy for the OEM to deny your warranty if they find any part that isn't in their design. They can drop the warranty for any other part that is logically effected by the modification. I believe this is in their written warranty, by the way.

A catch can is a clear modification of GM's validated engine design. It ties directly into engine's oil system and its effects on the engine are not validated by GM or by the people making the catch cans. So you're risking your engine by putting one on based on anecdotal evidence and not any real fact.

The idea that GM has to do some sort of million mile validation of your modification before dropping your warranty is insane . If you don't want to have your warranty denied, make sure your engine is stock before bringing it to the dealer.

Seriously, takes like 5 minutes to remove a catch-can.

Sorry to be a bummer.