Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
I've complained about this, you can not remove the key if the battery dies, Im guessing its part of the security, but it is not a great idea that if my battery dies while driving in a no cell signal area, I have to leave my car with the key in it on the side of the road and anyone driving by with jumper cables can then just drive off with it.

I was told it is not considered an issue and will not be addressed.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #30
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Also, keep in mind that the battery drain issue myself and many others are experiencing with the Technostalgias DON'T even have show mode activated. LOL

The show mode wire is tucked away, shrink wrapped, and not grounded whatsoever. The show mode that is experienced is only when the car battery is at low voltage. Originally, many people thought that the show mode wire may be grounding on accident an activated the lights and draining the battery. This could be occurring to someone not cowering up the wire correctly to prevent this from occurring, but most of us have prevented that from the start.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #31
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Is she back in business? All recharged and ready to go! Let me know what you decide to do with your taillights? How you're going to rewire or come up with a solution that will NOT drain the battery. I read the entire thread (13 pgs) so far on this issue. Some complicated solutions some have suggested. I'd like your opinion on how to solve the problem, seems to be on going and the manufacturer hasn't come up with a fix as of yet. Other than a battery tender. Don't care for that idea to much. You have the best looking AGM I've seen. Good luck.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
Normagene

February 5, 2013
To: All Technostalgia Dealers
Re: Long Term Storage of Gen 5 Camaros with Technostalgia Part 6700x or 6701x
Technostalgia part numbers 6700x and 6701x, per our installation instructions, requires a direct connection to the car’s positive battery terminal. This direct battery connection allows for the “show” mode to operate while the car is not running. However, this connection also draws a constant electrical current of approximately .090 amperes from the battery. If the car is driven once a week, the car battery can maintain enough reserve to start the car without problem. However, 90 milliamps will drain a car battery over a longer period of time. This can be exacerbated by other aftermarket equipment that require a direct battery connection, particularly, powered stereo amplifiers.
Customers may notice, after storing their cars for a period of time, that the show mode may be “on” even though the purple wire is disconnected from ground. The show mode will engage when the car battery voltage drops below about 9 volts. Note that the show mode is an indicator of a low battery, not the cause as may be suspected.
For long term vehicle storage, employ at least one these methods:
1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
2. Use a trickle battery charger.
3. Disconnect the “pink” wire that goes from the Technostalgia lights to the positive battery terminal.
4. Connect the “pink” wire from the Technostalgia lights to a wire in the car that has constant voltage only when the ignition is “on.” Note that with this method, the “show” mode will only work when the key is in the “on” or “acc” position.

This is what I got when I asked about the battery draining problem. Also e-mailed Todd again asking if I can permanently install using step 4 above. And some install instructions using step 4, oh and does that solve the draining battery problem? Waiting for a response, by the time my e-mail went out they were probably closed for the day. I'll let you know when/if I hear anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #33
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Is the key still stuck in the ignition? If so, the steering wheel is probably locked preventing removal of the key. Trying turning the steering wheel either way and see if that helps.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #34
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
The key is out of the ignition and the car starts right up after charging. And it is nice having dad right up the street to help out. I do the same for him though, so it all works out! It did not turn out to be a loose wire like I thought. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a source for the drain, so for now I am going to assume its the taillights until I can spend more time trying to track the source. I do have some other LEDs on a constant power source, but they are all switched, but I will check those out as well. I have my trickle charger on it for now, and I vow to DRIVE it more! It actually killed me to let it sit as long as it did, but it's been wet and we got some snow over the weekend.

Also, I noticed that my taillights are model 6701A not X like the memo says (unless the X is generic) but I assume the issue is the same. I am going to try your number 4 this weekend once I find a switched source in the trunk fuse box. I just wonder though, if following #4 will still allow the tails to flash during locking and unlocking for a permanent installation.

I'm just glad that it starts and seems to be fine. I'll have to keep the low voltage key lock in mind in the future, but hopefully I won't have to deal with it again.

I really appreciate all of the advice in this thread!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
Normagene

Keep us informed. The X is generic, my box has 6701B on the side. The box says "2010-12 Camaro LED Taillight Set". Like to know how/what you end up doing as far as rewiring or keeping it the same and just using a charger. If I get a response to my e-mail, I asked about step 4 as a permanent setup. Would that still drain the battery and install directions? As in exactly where to tap into the ignition power source. I'll post here, if/w whatever I get. Glad you're back up and running. From the e-mail I received the taillights definitely drain the battery.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #36
eightup

Drives: 2013 zl1
my key was sticking also had to mess with it too get it out. I sprayed a light coat of spray lube on it worked it a few times works great now.
eightup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:10 AM   #37
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
TCAT is the man on this issue, he has had the same issue along with SEVERAL others! Good luck!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

I just wanted to give an update in this thread on my situation. I forgot to leave the car on a trickle charger, and it was dead again yesterday. I charged it back up and I rewired the taillights to a switched source as referenced above by Normagene. Right now all seems back to normal, but I am going to leave it off the charger for a few days and see if there are any remaining power drains. I am hoping this resolved it. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #39
Normagene

Where is the switch? I'm guessing this is just temporary, so are we talking about a switch in the trunk? Haven't installed mine yet, but a drivers seat switch is a possibility. Although it would be a hassle to make sure I remember to turn it on everytime I go for a ride. Or even more importantly, turn it off, everytime it may be parked for three or four days. As an example I haven't even started mine in two weeks, going on three weeks now. Dead battery for sure if I forget to kill the power. Got to be connected to the ignition key/acc. somehow.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #40
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

I guess I should clarify- when I said switched source, I meant that I tied into a power source that was tied to the ignition switch. In my case, I tapped into the amplifier remote wire since it only comes on when the key is turned. All the fuses in the trunk seem to have constant power even with the switch off, so hat was not an option. I also did not want to put in a manual switch for the exact reason you stated. Using my method, the tail brake lights do not work unless the key is turned. The third brake light in the spoiler does work and so do the taillights without the key. I'm guessing the pink wire that is typically wired directly to the battery has something to do with the brake light/ flashing function built-in. This also probably means no hazards without the key, but I have not tried that function.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #41
Normagene

Thanks for clarifying. Let me know how that works out, if your going to keep it or its good enough for now. Taillights work, but for the brake lights to work the key has to be on? Is that correct? If that's the case I like this setup, it's definitely acceptable. So your experiment now will be to leave the car alone for several days, with the new wiring, and see if there is any battery drain? How many days did it go without the charger? Will you test/measure the battery after x number of days. Could still be draining, but just much slower. Keep us posted, I'm sure lots of people are interested in your results.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #42
Pappa Joe

Drives: Charger/TL1000R/Cobalt/ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdogg View Post
don't know about the taillights, but tugging on the wheel my free the key; now, some of my car guys have suggested that, if the car is going to sit during the winter, a battery charger be put on the battery, because......some of the systems in the car carry what they call a parasitic draw on the battery, so....if it sits for a long time, the battery may well be low or dead.....
mine was sitting 3 months without starting or charger had no probs battery was still at 3/4
Pappa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote