Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
tilove17

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Reduced Engine Power: Gas Spewing on Engine

I drive a 2012 Camaro LT (no mods), which I purchased brand new. The car currently has approximately 54,000 miles.

Exactly two weeks ago, I was driving on a highway when the check engine light came on, engine power was reduced, and stabili track disabled. The car filled with the overwhelming smell of gas. As I slowed down, I noticed that the fuel range was rapidly dropping--maybe 2 miles every few hundred feet.

I brought the vehicle to the nearest dealership, Chuck Hutton Chevrolet in Memphis, TN. They inspected the vehicle and told me that a "broken/leaking high pressure fuel feed line" caused the problem. The mechanic that did the work told me that he had never seen the particular pipe break, and he could think of no reason why it did break. Although this metal pipe is seemingly attached to the engine, they informed me that it was not covered under warranty. I paid nearly $500 for the part and labor. (For the curious, Part No. 12639208).

Yesterday (two weeks later), while driving to New Orleans, the car did the same thing again. The check engine light came on, engine power was reduced, stabili track disabled, and the smell of gas filled the car.

I had my car towed to Bryan Chevrolet in Metairie, LA (after waiting 4hrs for a tow truck in 92degree heat). I am waiting to hear back from the dealership about their diagnosis.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular part failure? Does anyone have advice about how I should handle the fact that I'm basically going to be charged twice for the same repair?
tilove17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I would think the part itself should have some form of warranty . There is a record of it being fixed at the other dealer so you shouldn't be charged I would think .
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
You have 5 yr 100k on the power train. This should have been covered unless I am missing
something.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
tilove17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I would think the part itself should have some form of warranty . There is a record of it being fixed at the other dealer so you shouldn't be charged I would think .
The dealer told me it's warranty work and they will repair at no charge. they have replaced the part, speculating that perhaps it was defective out of the box. I am not convinced the problem is merely a defective part.

Again, it is a metal pipe and is not a moving part. It seems highly unlikely that a metal pipe just broke two weeks in a row without some other cause.

Any idea what might be causing the break? Maybe the engine is moving more than it's supposed to or something?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #5
tilove17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
You have 5 yr 100k on the power train. This should have been covered unless I am missing
something.
That's what I said, but I was told that it is a fuel system part and that's not covered under the powertrain warranty.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
tilove17

Update:

The dealership in Louisiana fixed the same part and assured me the car was fixed. On my way back to Mississippi, it happened again!

A dealership in Mississippi has since discovered that one of the bolts that connects the High Pressure Fuel pump to the engine had broken off. This causes the pump to shake and move, which in turn kept breaking the high pressure fuel feed line. Even crazier, the pump moved so much that the spring coil actually fell out of the pump.

The service department at the Oakes Chevy Dealership in Greenville,MS is run by a standup guy. He covered the entire repair under warranty, including replacing the fuel sensor and a few other things that were damaged by the broken pump .
Old 07-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #7
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
Thats crazy. Im glad you were taken care of man.I hate scumbag dealers. I would rather youtube and read about, then do my own work. Seems to be that my hack work is better than most work ive gotten done at a dealer.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 AM   #8
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilove17 View Post
Update:

The dealership in Louisiana fixed the same part and assured me the car was fixed. On my way back to Mississippi, it happened again!

A dealership in Mississippi has since discovered that one of the bolts that connects the High Pressure Fuel pump to the engine had broken off. This causes the pump to shake and move, which in turn kept breaking the high pressure fuel feed line. Even crazier, the pump moved so much that the spring coil actually fell out of the pump.

The service department at the Oakes Chevy Dealership in Greenville,MS is run by a standup guy. He covered the entire repair under warranty, including replacing the fuel sensor and a few other things that were damaged by the broken pump .
Good for you. Glad you finally found out the real problem and got it fixed. Wonder what could have caused the bolt to break ...factory build flaw, prior work done ? Did the dealer speculate any cause?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
ChevyCamaroGirl

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS RS BLACK
Good to hear you finally got it fixed. I'll bet that same situation is what has caused so many Camaros to burn.
ChevyCamaroGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
tilove17

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Good for you. Glad you finally found out the real problem and got it fixed. Wonder what could have caused the bolt to break ...factory build flaw, prior work done ? Did the dealer speculate any cause?
No clue what could have caused the bolt to break. To my knowledge, there was no prior work done in that area. Although I have now learned that before i bought the car, the pump had been replaced! A fact that was not disclosed to me when i purchased the car. (I bought the car brand new with only 4 miles on the odometer).
Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Go and get your money back from those first crooks!!!!
It should have been warranty.
They failed to fix the issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #12
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yep, go get your $500 back that you paid Chuck Hutton - that should have been a warranty replacement all day long.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #13
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
And they failed to find the problem and it failed again.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #14
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Exactly.

OP if you end up needing someone in Memphis to go talk to Chuck Hutton, just let me know, I live in Memphis and I hate seeing people get screwed over by dealers. Perhaps they knew you were just passing through and figured you had to have it fixed either way, warranty or not, so they just took the money and ran.

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote