Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
recommendation for a school where I can learn proper car handling (EX:spin recovery)

Just wondering if anyone recommends anything.. I want to learn proper technique in case I'm driving and the wheels give out and I spin out, or anything like that.

Having a car with this much power, I think it would be very beneficial but also awesome to get the experience.

I'm in Florida.. Can possibly travel to Atlanta.

Thanks
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
fradaj

Drives: RS
http://skipbarber.com/track/lime-rock-race-track/
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
Just wondering if anyone recommends anything.. I want to learn proper technique in case I'm driving and the wheels give out and I spin out, or anything like that.

Having a car with this much power, I think it would be very beneficial but also awesome to get the experience.

I'm in Florida.. Can possibly travel to Atlanta.

Thanks
A very good question! I don't know of anything out your way, but I did want to post and encourage you to pursue this line of thought! Performance Driving Schools provide invaluable knowledge and experience driving performance cars in extreme situations that you can't get anywhere else...certainly no where else that's in controlled circumstances as safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20171LE View Post
Large parking lot, wet days, cheap RWD car.
That's how most, if not all of us, got started.

The Camaro SS is a LOT of car to learn with, and not cheap.
I would not recommend learning with it.
Leave the traction control on and be safe.
On the other hand...what better car to learn with than the one you intend to drive all the time? Familiarity is a drivers best friend. I can't tell you how many sketchy situations I weaseled my way out of thanks to the fact that I spent the time to learn and become incredibly comfortable with my car.

To be transparent; I learned to drive stick on a magnacharged 2010 Camaro, 2 weeks old...and I learned to drive on a road course in a 2012 ZL1.

The nice thing about these cars is that their limits are way higher than the drivers...and much more forgiving, provided the driver isn't a complete idiot.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
samsumon

I would prefer to learn in my own car, but most driving schools provide their own cars.. I want to be able to push my car and in case the back spins out (say I'm launching the car) or anything, I know what to do... Always better to know..

I'll see what i can find, thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
There's a huge difference between safety driving schools and performance driving school. Google all the major racetracks in the Southeast and you'll find one that will allow you to use your car and learn how to use it safely. I know one was running in homestead or moroso a few years ago and you could bring your own car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
make it through a few winters in the north east without crashing in weather you have no right driving in with a rear wheel drive car and that should be all the skill you need to drive anywhere else.

You'll get to learn not just how to counter a spin but to drive sideways down a highway to keep your car from sliding off the bank built into the road - a bank that you otherwise wouldn't think is big enough to do such a thing in all weather tires.

Ice and snow will teach you. One way or another, what you can do in your car and what it wont. I guess since it's the end of that season though, you could just use summer tires in heavy rains. poor substitute though.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 PM   #7
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Find a local Autocross and start getting seat time, what you learn will be all encompassing.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #8
Brian 1LE SS

Drives: 98 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
Find a local Autocross and start getting seat time, what you learn will be all encompassing.
This
<a href=http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia/data/500/562752_4054654816027_115782456_n.jpg target=_blank>http://www.norcal-lsx.com/multimedia...15782456_n.jpg</a>
Brian 1LE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 AM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
That is a great idea OP if you can get to Skip Barber type place. My way of learning from the age of 13 was costly and very dangerous. It was also very fun. Not recommended these days though. You would probably end up looking out through bars in todays world.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
i strongly suggest Spring Mountain Motorsports Park in Pahrump, NV -- they have the best curriculum of any school I've seen. (and I've been thru a bunch of them......) They feature Chevrolets.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
samsumon

NV might be too far.. I rather do something more local (which I think I found) and then spend the money on track time..