Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hntrgthrs View Post
OP: Why are you intent on using a bias ply tire? What is your reasoning for being so against using a radial on the rear? The current group of drag radials are absolutely phenomenal. Are you just worried you are going to break shit with a stick? That's the only thing I can think of and I, frankly, wouldn't be worried about that unless your build is insane (where you'd probably break shit anyway).

And by using a radial, you also won't go wall when your car starts walking towards either side of the track at speed (which, invariably, will happen when you mix tires).
I have a 6spd and mt them selfs say use a bias ply for a manual transmission. I also lowered my car which makes launching even harder so the bias ply should hook better when dumping the clutch

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Zl1dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #16
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Those that are commenting, are you an auto or a stick

Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #17
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

After watching some videos and input from guys who are actually running this combo I'm going to stick with my decision and run the bias. Hand location on wheel and air pressure. Minimal sway occurs. And radials are harder on manual trans drive lines.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
hntrgthrs

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1dad View Post
After watching some videos and input from guys who are actually running this combo I'm going to stick with my decision and run the bias. Hand location on wheel and air pressure. Minimal sway occurs. And radials are harder on manual trans drive lines.

If you want to ignore those of us that either have experience with the combo or those of us who have seen the results of it first hand, be my guest. You're doing literally the worst thing and mixing a bias ply rear with a radial front. You wouldn't get half the crap about it if you mixed a radial rear and a bias ply front. Bias ply tires and radial tires correct themselves in very different manners. It results in serious swaying at the top end of the track.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #19
hntrgthrs

Quote:
I have a 6spd and mt them selfs say use a bias ply for a manual transmission. I also lowered my car which makes launching even harder so the bias ply should hook better when dumping the clutch

Did you reach out to Mickey Thompson or M&H themselves to ask whether they would still recommend using a bias ply rear tire with a radial front (particularly with street driving - since I'm assuming you aren't going to be using a DOT-legal rear tire)? I'd imagine their opinion would change.

Don't cheap out. Just buy a set of skinnies and do it right.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #20
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Hopefully you'll bring your car down to Milan on the 23rd when our Motor City Camaro Club has a free track day,
Love to see it.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #21
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Did you reach out to Mickey Thompson or M&H themselves to ask whether they would still recommend using a bias ply rear tire with a radial front (particularly with street driving - since I'm assuming you aren't going to be using a DOT-legal rear tire)? I'd imagine their opinion would change.

Don't cheap out. Just buy a set of skinnies and do it right.
It is a street legal drag tire. It's MT ET Street r bias. And I don't plan to use them on the streets often if at all. I also have 7" wide front wheels on 17" rims. Guys running this combo are running 20psi or so and don't have a sway problem. I'm not trying to be cheap. I cannot find a 7"wide bias ply for a 17" wheel. Mt offers a 4" wide but maximum weight is the car without me in it. Also not switching to a 4" rim.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #22
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Hopefully you'll bring your car down to Milan on the 23rd when our Motor City Camaro Club has a free track day,
Love to see it.
I would but I will be just getting back from camaro fest

Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 PM   #23
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
It is a street legal drag tire. It's MT ET Street r bias. And I don't plan to use them on the streets often if at all. I also have 7" wide front wheels on 17" rims. Guys running this combo are running 20psi or so and don't have a sway problem. I'm not trying to be cheap. I cannot find a 7"wide bias ply for a 17" wheel. Mt offers a 4" wide but maximum weight is the car without me in it. Also not switching to a 4" rim.

No I didn't ask them how they felt but I did waste my time talking to MT twice about wheel weights only to have multiple people tell me without bead locks the tire is going to move on rim with each pass and they will be out of balance the first past and non of them balance their tires for racing. They are all 800+ hp Zl1. Why Mt couldn't have just said this in the first place and saved my self a hr and half hassle relocating weights after finding them to hit the caliper from being balanced. Only to have them ripped off by the sway bar link once the suspension was loaded again(lowering may have caused this) either way the weights are off and staying off. Point is why didn't mt just say that. You don't always need to listen to corporations for this kind of stuff.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM   #24
HDRDTD

Quote:
I would but I will be just getting back from camaro fest

I thought Camarofest was mid-July.
Our track day at Milan is June 23rd ??
Old 06-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #25
hntrgthrs

Quote:

Yet you're also talking with all kinds of folks on here who either have done it before or know of those who have who say it will cause a problem. Look, do what you want to do, but you're being extremely flippant about it. You clearly want to hear only what you want to hear.

I think you're going about this in a cheap and silly manner, frankly.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:58 PM   #26
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
I thought Camarofest was mid-July.
Our track day at Milan is June 23rd ??
Yea you are correct. I thought for some reason you where talking in July. What do I need to do to get in for free?

Old 06-14-2018, 05:02 PM   #27
Zl1dad
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yet you're also talking with all kinds of folks on here who either have done it before or know of those who have who say it will cause a problem. Look, do what you want to do, but you're being extremely flippant about it. You clearly want to hear only what you want to hear.

I think you're going about this in a cheap and silly manner, frankly.
Not being cheap. There isn't an appropriate bias ply front and rear combo that will support the weight of this vehicle. I've talked to guys that have bias combo with skinnies on the front and he says it gets a little sway, that's bc the front tires can't support the weight. So either match bias front and rear and sway front too much weight on the tires or sway a little bit from the mis match. You seem to stand by your opinion but are not offering a solution.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #28
HDRDTD

Quote:
Yea you are correct. I thought for some reason you where talking in July. What do I need to do to get in for free?

All you have to do is be a club member if you're not already.

motorcitycamaroclub .com