Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
AshleyOhio

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Question Cadillac Swap v6??

My 2011 Camaro v6 needed an engine. My husband purchased a 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.6 engine as a replacement. It was $1K cheaper than a Camaro engine and be says they are identical except the oil pan. He assures me it will be an easy swap but I am sceptical. Is this swap going to be a nightmare?
AshleyOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyOhio View Post
My 2011 Camaro v6 needed an engine. My husband purchased a 2011 Cadillac CTS 3.6 engine as a replacement. It was $1K cheaper than a Camaro engine and be says they are identical except the oil pan. He assures me it will be an easy swap but I am sceptical. Is this swap going to be a nightmare?
I think there are more differences but don't know for sure which issues you'll run into. Maybe calling LKQ can help you, but the engines definitely have more than just an oil pan difference, seeing as the power specs are rated differently. Also I hope he got the RWD and not the AWD motor.

The MAF sensor is different for example.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356875
May not read into the computer properly.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #3
AshleyOhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I think there are more differences but don't know for sure which issues you'll run into. Maybe calling LKQ can help you, but the engines definitely have more than just an oil pan difference, seeing as the power specs are rated differently. Also I hope he got the RWD and not the AWD motor.

Call who?? He absolutely bought the AWD motor. What difference does that make?? I called a local Cadillac dealer and spoke with the parts department. He said the VINs were compatible but I'm still not convinced that a Cadillac is going to know it's in a Camaro and act properly. The computer was my main concern. I have zero confidence the guy swapping engines in his barn/shop has the capability to program/reprogram the key fob, let alone the computer. I'm just don't want to pay labor for an install that will ultimately fail.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
You're changing the engine not the computer. It will work fine.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
CamaroBarb
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post

This would have nothing to do with this engine swap. They will be using Camaro MAF. Relax OP just swapping engine will work fine.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
This would have nothing to do with this engine swap. They will be using Camaro MAF. Relax OP just swapping engine will work fine.
True, didn't really think about that was just naming differences. But having the AWD motor vs the RWD will probably make a difference. Does the CTS even have the same transmission? Because if not the mounting may be different
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
CamaroBarb
Banned

Its the same trust me. One cool thing about these 3.6 engines is you will have a endless supply of cheap used engines for a very long time. They are all the same excerpt the pans.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
The Cadillac CTS block and heads are the same, but you will need to swap oil pan, front timing cover, crank dampener, water pump, intake manifold, and a few sensors. Just carefully swap from your bad engine. LLT in the CTS is from 2008-2011, LFX is the same 2012-2015.

Just swap your existing parts over. Best is to have both engines on an engine stand side by side.

Other platforms are Opal, Volvo, any GM Buick, Chevy, GMC, Cadillac that share the same base engine in several models.

Good Luck!!
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #9
AshleyOhio

Thank you all so much for reassuring me. The engines are currently side by side so the guy shouldn't have trouble moving parts from one to the other (except the new water pump, etc). Again, thanks so much.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:04 PM   #10
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
My thing would be the timing chains, if it is a used engine I would definitely change them while the engine is out
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
LLT: The same motor used in the 08-11 CTS and STS.

If it were from a 2012+, that's the LFX motor, more work for a swap.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote