Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
The air ingested by the blower is cooling the rotors. The intercooled air is cooling the case which transfers to the blower as well.
Can it stabilize the over all blower temp at 100-150% duty cylce , no not even close.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Can it stabilize the blower temp, no not even close.
I just quoted the part I wanted to highlight but you are correct.

Once again, the tests listed by the OP should in fact show that the intake temps are cooler with spacers in situations where the car is not running a lot of boost through the supercharger. But in high demand situations of either continuous throttle or repeated bursts of throttle followed by very short braking zones. The supercharger is in fact hotter than the rest of the engine. As a matter of fact, the supercharger can get so hot it will push the engine water temps and oil temps into the red if you continue to road race the car with high intake temps over 200.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Jamob

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
So many good points here.

I'll address the case of the road racing or simply stress the blower for a long period of time. If you own a supercharged car, and you want to road race it but your are concerned about blower temps and chamber temps, maybe you might want to rethink your engine setup. Hence why GM went NA on the Z28. There are other means for forced in induction such as a turbo set up, but lets not go too off topic here.

So from what I gather, most of the concerns would be the reaction of temp at or more than a 1/4 mile pass. I didn't plan on taking her out to the strip anytime soon, but in the name of "Science" i will consider it. I don't plan on putting down any mind blowing numbers, but the point would be to get the car as hot as possible and see how the temps react. The only down side to this is the fact that I can't control the weather temps and when and where I make my passes, legally. I will however, look into other methods such as back to back dyno runs, or what ever I can think of.

I am very open to ideas and suggestions to improve my test/collection of data. Please keep the comments as they are very much appreciated.
Jamob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #18
99frc

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
So a question for Jess...
If the spacers isolate the blower from the rest of the engine, wouldn't that reduce the blower increasing the temps in the engine when it gets hotter than the engine? Also, even if the spacers don't lower the blower temps in extended use situations, wouldn't they allow the blower to cool down more quickly being isolated to a degree from engine heat?
99frc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Yes the compressor on top of the engine spinning at over 20,000 rpm with no direct cooling gets hotter than the 6000 rpm combustion engine with water jackets. Spin anything at 20,000 rpm for a full 60 seconds and see what happens and this just happens to be a heat generating compressor.... The intercoorer brick in the supercharger is designed to cool the air going into the engine, it is not designed to cool the actual supercharger.

Once again, very few people seem to understand how hot a supercharger can get in a very short period of time. It took me a while to realize how big of a problem this is but I can tell you that very few people running the standing mile are able to achieve 200mph on a supercharger because the supercharger gets very hot in 1 mile. That was my point. Many racers with superchargers are dumping pounds and pounds of ice in the supercharger system and that smoking hot supercharger boils it off in the first 3/4 mile leaving no power at the end because of uncontrolled IAT's, this in not engine heat, it is supercharger heat.
I thought you told me the blower was being cooled by the water jackets in the head thus the reason for not using the plates? Keep the heat transfer from the blower to the head.

Why haven't OEMs just liquid cooled the blower then (intake manifold)?

I understand what you are saying but its a little hard to believe...

Curious how much heat is generated by an engine (air pump with 10:1 compression) just freely spinning at 6,000 rpm without combustion. Then compare this to a blower (air pump with 2:1 compression) at 25,000 rpm?

My money is on most of the heat coming from the combustion and the HP required to hit 200mph is too much for the engine cooling and aero design.

No disrespect, but I simply disagree on where the heat is coming from. Not saying the blower doesn't make heat, but can it really make more heat than wot combustion? Does the blower glow red on the standing mile?
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99frc View Post
So a question for Jess...
If the spacers isolate the blower from the rest of the engine, wouldn't that reduce the blower increasing the temps in the engine when it gets hotter than the engine? Also, even if the spacers don't lower the blower temps in extended use situations, wouldn't they allow the blower to cool down more quickly being isolated to a degree from engine heat?
If you ran the spacer road racing for instance, the supercharger would not be able to transfer heat into the engine so the engine oil temp and water temp would never get as high but the problem is that when IAT2 gets to 290 or something like this it shuts the engine down dead, not limp mode, dead, wrecker comes to tow your car off the track. Yes I have experienced this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
I thought you told me the blower was being cooled by the water jackets in the head thus the reason for not using the plates? Keep the heat transfer from the blower to the head. Yes that is what I'm talking about in my last paragraph you quoted and in the post quoted above here.

Why haven't OEMs just liquid cooled the blower then (intake manifold)?
Sounds like a good idea but won't be cheap.

I understand what you are saying but its a little hard to believe...

Curious how much heat is generated by an engine (air pump with 10:1 compression) just freely spinning at 6,000 rpm without combustion. Then compare this to a blower (air pump with 2:1 compression) at 25,000 rpm?

My money is on most of the heat coming from the combustion and the HP required to hit 200mph is too much for the engine cooling and aero design.

No disrespect, but I simply disagree on where the heat is coming from. Not saying the blower doesn't make heat, but can it really make more heat than wot combustion? Does the blower glow red on the standing mile?
Lets just say every mechanic that has worked on my car has a new perspective on how much heat a supercharger generates all by itself.

It's not that the supercharger makes more heat than the engine. The internal combustion engine is able to maintain a steady temp no matter how long you run it wide open because of water jackets and radiators. The supercharger relies on the fact that engineers don't think anyone will apply full throttle for more than about 10 seconds at a time. The supercharger temp continues to rise as long as you hold the throttle and the only way to stop the rise is to quit giving it gas. The computer program has limitations built in. Air flow and the rest of the engine actually cool the supercharger when it gets really, really hot. If you get too hot the computer just kills the engine. I have shut my car down due to high IAT2. I don't think many have. But I know there are a lot of people out there road racing with much less power because of reduced timing and high IAT2. The system is supposed to self limit, it will keep reducing power until you are not going fast enough to "overheat" but if you mod the car it is pretty easy to blow through the limitations of the stock supercharger cooling system.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #21
revo1059

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1
So what if those plates were made of metal and had something coming off them like a computer CPU heat sink. Not sure if how it would or could fit but in theory it would help reduce temps (and it might look funny).
revo1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #22
Jamob

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Finally got around to running a quick test to make sure the readings are good enough to proceed. Also allowed me come up with a way to interrupt the relation between the points from which I took the reads. I will take better readings later, perhaps with additional temps, when the weather outside is more stable.
Attached Images

Jamob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Interesting stuff guys....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:00 PM   #24
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
So what ever happened?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #25
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
So where's the before and after?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:59 AM   #26
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
4 years later - I’m sure he stopped. Has not logged in since March of this year so, likely didn’t finish — I think there was another thread where this was discussed and these are really only good for 1/4 and rolls.

I have the lid spacer but (not the manifold) - it was more for increasing/smoothing airflow to the back 2 cylinders.

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote