Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #29
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
I too tried the muffler delete and it sounded Awful !! Loud But no tone to it. I Also went with Stainless Works Retro Catback.
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 PM   #30
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I went to a 3inch cat back with Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers. Sounds really good at all rpm ranges. No annoying drone. But with the 3.91 gears I'm doing around 1900 rpm at 62 mph lol.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #31
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I wanna be that guy after a mod LOL. Any peoples thoughts on the magnaflow catback? The local guy deals in that and swears by them. I'm going to drop by and talk to them maybe tomorrow or Monday if I get time. In the mean time I'm going to put the stockers back on next friday and get some civility back. Unless they convince me to go better than that.....

Its a bugger because sometimes the car sounds great just not all the time unfortunately-bugger!
I jus think car will be to quiet. You dont want to
Put out money to be unhappy. Have a listen

https://youtu.be/5dC5EXPl4Bk
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #32
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I jus think car will be to quiet. You dont want to
Put out money to be unhappy. Have a listen

https://youtu.be/5dC5EXPl4Bk
Sorry Ron you mean the Flowmasters you linked to would be too quiet or just putting the stock ones back on? I'm more worried about picking something too loud if anything though the ones in the video lean towards the quieter side I'd say.

Last edited by qcman; 05-04-2018 at 09:25 AM.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #33
MrTwenty6

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
Throwing in a recommendation for NOWEEDs - you really can't do better.
MrTwenty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 AM   #34
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklsx View Post
My car had stock exhaust manifolds, rear cat delete, and then striaght pipes all the way back. Like yours it sounded OK in a few situations but did't sound great. It got annoying fast on the highway.
Heres the thing I don't mind the highway sound nears as much as the lower speed stuff with the car in a lower RPM range. If I step on the gas and the car stays in the same gear its sounds pretty brutal to me. if it drops a gear it sounds better I guess as it gets over the sucky RPM range.

I guess it comes down to different people with different sensitivities.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #35
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashlog48 View Post
I too tried the muffler delete and it sounded Awful !! Loud But no tone to it. I Also went with Stainless Works Retro Catback.
Yeah I drank the muffler delete Kool Aid for sure. I knew as soon as I drove away from the shop I'd made mistake but decided to give it time and see in case I was over reacting which I'd say wasn't in hindsight.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:56 AM   #36
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Man, I’m just not hearing the horrible sounds you simple delete guys are talking about. Granted, I’m old school and half deaf but given the resonator and cats, I thought it was a pretty nice sound. Not too raspy, kind of mid to deep frequency and very little drone. I had mine on the highway yesterday too. With my hearing aids!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #37
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Sorry Ron you mean the Flowmasters you linked to would be too quiet or just putting the stock ones back on? I'm more worried about picking something too loud if anything though the ones in the video lean towards the quieter side I'd say.
I mean the Magnaflow street series will be to quiet.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #38
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Hi like it says I have a tuned L99 (no AFM of course) that I cut the rear suitcases off of last Fall. I had straight pipes welded in with my stock tips put back on at a local Speedy. They did a very nice job on it. Heres the issue. To my old ears the car sounds awesome on start up and under heavy or WOT.

But on normal driving its meh and annoying or certainly can be at times. If I press the throttle around 1500-2000 RPM it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe its drone not sure? And I find the auto even while tuned is always in a higher gear than I wish it was for sound. Sometimes I press the gas around that range and if it doesn't downshift then it doesn't sound good. I guess thats where a throttle controller helps.....

So I'm debating putting the stock mufflers back on to improve that situation. My girlfriend loves the sound of my car now so I know I'll get some grief if I do that LOL. So what should I do? Try to find a better solution like a Solo with J-pipes? Borla S-type? Go back to stock?

I'm going to call a couple of muffler shops tomorrow and see what they can do for me but performance stuff is almost non-existant where I live sadly. Sorry for the long post but I feel kind of frustrated & would appreciate some input. Ugh
We offer a number of Cat-back and Axle-back exhaust systems for the 5th Gen SS, from aggressive to moderate we've got you covered. Our Force II Axle-back system (part# 817506) may be what you're looking for. This Axle-back system will get you a moderate exterior tone while having very mild interior resonance (drone). One of our most popular exhaust systems is the American Thunder, available as a Cat-back or Axle-back system. All of our 2010-2013 Camaro SS Axle-back and Cat-back systems are manufactured from 409S stainless steel and include mandrel bent piping and a lifetime, limited warranty. If you have any questions or need additional recommendations please give us a call at 707-544-4761. Don't forget to ask for your Camaro5 Forum discount.

- Jason @ Flowmaster
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #39
splashlog48

Quote:
Yeah I drank the muffler delete Kool Aid for sure. I knew as soon as I drove away from the shop I'd made mistake but decided to give it time and see in case I was over reacting which I'd say wasn't in hindsight.
That’s for sure !! It sounded like a garbage truck with a hole in the muffler !!!
Edelbrock EForce Blower, RDP custom grind cam with upgrades,Stainless Power Headers with HighFlow Cats, Stainless Power Retro catback, DSS halfshafts, CAI brand CAI, Tuned ON the Dyno by Steve at RDP. SLP rims,All vinyl stripes removed and painted on, custom hand painted pinstriping, Custom leather seats, Lloyds mats,windows tinted, Sparks emblems, Hurst Billit shifter, and too many small items to list. VDI Scissors doors.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #40
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by splashlog48 View Post
That’s for sure !! It sounded like a garbage truck with a hole in the muffler !!!
Yer doin it wrong!
Old 05-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #41
splashlog48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Yer doin it wrong!
I ended up doing it RIGHT !!
Old 05-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #42
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Hi like it says I have a tuned L99 (no AFM of course) that I cut the rear suitcases off of last Fall. I had straight pipes welded in with my stock tips put back on at a local Speedy. They did a very nice job on it. Heres the issue. To my old ears the car sounds awesome on start up and under heavy or WOT.

But on normal driving its meh and annoying or certainly can be at times. If I press the throttle around 1500-2000 RPM it doesn't sound good to me. Maybe its drone not sure? And I find the auto even while tuned is always in a higher gear than I wish it was for sound. Sometimes I press the gas around that range and if it doesn't downshift then it doesn't sound good. I guess thats where a throttle controller helps.....

So I'm debating putting the stock mufflers back on to improve that situation. My girlfriend loves the sound of my car now so I know I'll get some grief if I do that LOL. So what should I do? Try to find a better solution like a Solo with J-pipes? Borla S-type? Go back to stock?

I'm going to call a couple of muffler shops tomorrow and see what they can do for me but performance stuff is almost non-existant where I live sadly. Sorry for the long post but I feel kind of frustrated & would appreciate some input. Ugh
Ever consider cut-outs? I didn't want to hear the drone of the exhaust all the time so I bought cutouts from QTP. If I want the car loud I open them, want it quiet I close them, it's like the best of both worlds. I can also open them up to 10%, 50%, or 100% to get the sound I want. I like the sound of them @ 50% open.
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote