Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Engine for Z/28

So I have been frequenting the Z/28 section a lot as of lately, really hoping I stumble across some good gouge on the debut of this iconic machine. I have said since '09 this car should have a one-off motor or at least the opportunity to debut a new motor. Yeah call me old fashioned, and duh the Corvette normally gets to debut new technology, but c'mon we all know that there will only be 2 versions of a DI V8 engine, the 5.3L and the 6.2L. I guess the point to all this rambling is, by 2015(if we have to wait that damn long), the LS7 will be old technology and old news, why not use the 6.2DI in the corvette and a badass HI-PO 5.3DI only available for the Camaro? We know these two motors will be stuffed into every V-8 application after arrival, but Corvette and Camaro aren't just any 'ol cars, they are a face of a company and have a following..what do y'all think?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
So I have been frequenting the Z/28 section a lot as of lately, really hoping I stumble across some good gouge on the debut of this iconic machine. I have said since '09 this car should have a one-off motor or at least the opportunity to debut a new motor. Yeah call me old fashioned, and duh the Corvette normally gets to debut new technology, but c'mon we all know that there will only be 2 versions of a DI V8 engine, the 5.3L and the 6.2L. I guess the point to all this rambling is, by 2015(if we have to wait that damn long), the LS7 will be old technology and old news, why not use the 6.2DI in the corvette and a badass HI-PO 5.3DI only available for the Camaro? We know these two motors will be stuffed into every V-8 application after arrival, but Corvette and Camaro aren't just any 'ol cars, they are a face of a company and have a following..what do y'all think?
I'd be fine with an above SS 6.2 DI V8, but not a standard 6.2.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If they are only making two Gen V engines, they better release a ton of upgrades that don't void the warranty.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Are you talking about 5th gen or 6th?
I wouldn't minda 6.2 di, but would rather have a 7.0di.
I'm not too interested in a 5.3 in a car.
But in a 6th, with the new cafe standards, I can see them using a smaller displacement gen 5 v8 with either turbos or sc. In a 3500lb ats based camaro, it would be awesome.
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
Mikes SS

Yeah that's what I am saying basically..if we have to wait that long for a Z/28, it might as well have the best technology available and not have to wait for a 6th gen to roll around to do so. I know most of you don't have a problem with it, but I just can't see a Z/28 as having the biggest NA motor available that is just not what thais car means to me through all the Gens. Leave that to the SS or ZL1 or COPO, but for heavens sake give me the car in a 5th gen version!!
Old 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
GearBangr

Quote:
Yeah that's what I am saying basically..if we have to wait that long for a Z/28, it might as well have the best technology available and not have to wait for a 6th gen to roll around to do so. I know most of you don't have a problem with it, but I just can't see a Z/28 as having the biggest NA motor available that is just not what thais car means to me through all the Gens. Leave that to the SS or ZL1 or COPO, but for heavens sake give me the car in a 5th gen version!!
High revving small block. LS7 fits the description. While it is the biggest displacement wise, its not the most powerfull.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
Mikes SS

Well that's what this forum is all about opinions and discussion right? I know GM frequents these boards, but with normally only 6-10 people posting in he Z/28 section, I bet it really doesn't drum up a whole lot of interest for them on the business side!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
High revving small block. LS7 fits the description. While it is the biggest displacement wise, its not the most powerfull.
The most HP isn't the idea but good power without forced induction is what a lot of people are wanting in the Z28.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
GearBangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The most HP isn't the idea but good power without forced induction is what a lot of people are wanting in the Z28.
That was my point too. The more powerful, physicaly bigger and heavier motors are for cars like the zl1 and copo. We would want a lighter more compact engine like the ls7. Since its the same size as the 5.3
It works for the z06, its comparable to the z28.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBangr View Post
That was my point too. The more powerful, physicaly bigger and heavier motors are for cars like the zl1 and copo. We would want a lighter more compact engine like the ls7. Since its the same size as the 5.3
It works for the z06, its comparable to the z28.
Yeah the LS7 is a good fit. If not the LS7, something that revs like it and has the torque needed to get the car moving.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Well that's what this forum is all about opinions and discussion right? I know GM frequents these boards, but with normally only 6-10 people posting in he Z/28 section, I bet it really doesn't drum up a whole lot of interest for them on the business side!
You can make the argument that even though 6-10 people post regularly, there are a lot more that view them and leave it to experienced people like yourself to do all the talking.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Mikes SS

well there needs to be a lot more people posting to show GM that there is in fact an interest!!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
GearBangr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
You can make the argument that even though 6-10 people post regularly, there are a lot more that view them and leave it to experienced people like yourself to do all the talking.
I think the reason this subforum is slow is that there have not been any official announcements. Or even any half credible rumors or mules spotted.
If that happens, this forum will spread like a texas grass fire lol.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #14
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Is it a 5.3? They were using a 5.5L DI 440hp in the Corvette in the American Lemans series. Talk was, this is going into the C7.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote