Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Allanski

Drives: Car
I have a dual fan Torq heat exchanger for sale. Was on the car for about 6 weeks and worked very well, only a couple 1/4 mile runs so its pretty much new.
Was listed with my other parts for sale. PM for info or go to http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257196
Allanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Are you using the model with the built in fans, or just the heat exchanger?
Dual fans...
ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
NS

Drives: 2010
The LC version cooling is all ran through the HE both for the IC and head unit, is that what you are asking?
NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS View Post
The LC version cooling is all ran through the HE both for the IC and head unit, is that what you are asking?
Yes thats the answer I wanted to hear. I think this is not the correct way of doing it because unlike the intercooler, the blower gets really hot, so you're better off using the engine coolant system to liquid cool the blower, and seperate the intercooler/heat exchanger to only cool the inlet temps.

This change should bring down your inlet temps drastically in theory

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
I dont think this is the issue as the KB does not make the power they claim in the first place. I dont have an answer to the heat issues but I know of 6 or more people I have spoken to at the races with them and absolutely despise them and are very disappointed. Its the best looking blower but just too many issues.
Makes more power than the Maggie, my L99 laid down 538rwhp with the 2.8L LC KB and exhaust (also the dyno my car was on reads lower than a Mustang dyno). I don't think you'd find same numbers out of a maggie.

I have no idea about the Whipple though (it was my second choice, but the KB looks so much better)
Old 11-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
Makes more power than the Maggie, my L99 laid down 538rwhp with the 2.8L LC KB and exhaust (also the dyno my car was on reads lower than a Mustang dyno). I don't think you'd find same numbers out of a maggie.

I have no idea about the Whipple though (it was my second choice, but the KB looks so much better)

Your claims are bogus unless you tried a maggie on the same day, same dyno, similar timing and fueling and of course boost. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, twin screws are more efficient than roots blowers at least on paper.

But if I were you I would go with the form follows function rule and stick with a blower that does what its supposed to do rather than prioritizing its "bling" factor over its performance.

As long as your happy with your purchase and performance and as long as your tune can properly compensate for high inlet temps if you ever face that problem then your set.

For the time being I'm waiting to hear back from the OP on whether he will use engine coolant to liquid the hot blower case and leave the intercooler system out of it or install another closed loop cooling system (pump, resevoir, heat exchanger) for the sole purpose of liquid cooling the blower.

Then there are the HEX mods. Kdi has a nice HUGE heat exchanger, which you can use with a meziere 20gpm intercooler pump.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #21
MJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Anyone every get their IAT's down on the kb's? I have the 2.8lc and im pegging the sensor at over 190 after one pass in a cool car...
is anyone with a kb running torq's dual core HE? also what results have you guys gotten out of meth sprayed pre unit? I know the superchiller is supposed to be the bee's knees but I want to feel out what everyone has done, any imput would be greatly apreciated!
We swapped out the undersized KB HE for a large, dual core Griffin unit. (Btw, KB HE was located in an area that does not have optimal air flow). Saw approx 30 deg decrease in IAT. Am thinking about mounting a fan to HE in the spring.

Funny thing, with that 2.8L KB "hot box", it made 702 to the wheels on pump gas... no meth, no super-chiller. Build details: JRE rough idle blower cam, ID1000s, LPE twins, ARH 1 7/8 LTs and Jannetty tune.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #22
NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
Your claims are bogus unless you tried a maggie on the same day, same dyno, similar timing and fueling and of course boost. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, twin screws are more efficient than roots blowers at least on paper.

But if I were you I would go with the form follows function rule and stick with a blower that does what its supposed to do rather than prioritizing its "bling" factor over its performance.

As long as your happy with your purchase and performance and as long as your tune can properly compensate for high inlet temps if you ever face that problem then your set.

For the time being I'm waiting to hear back from the OP on whether he will use engine coolant to liquid the hot blower case and leave the intercooler system out of it or install another closed loop cooling system (pump, resevoir, heat exchanger) for the sole purpose of liquid cooling the blower.

Then there are the HEX mods. Kdi has a nice HUGE heat exchanger, which you can use with a meziere 20gpm intercooler pump.

I will be modding the KB HE and will post details on that when finished however it will be early spring before I am colocated with my vehicle, im just trying to knock out the research now and see what has worked for others.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
We swapped out the undersized KB HE for a large, dual core Griffin unit. (Btw, KB HE was located in an area that does not have optimal air flow). Saw approx 30 deg decrease in IAT. Am thinking about mounting a fan to HE in the spring.

Funny thing, with that 2.8L KB "hot box", it made 702 to the wheels on pump gas... no meth, no super-chiller. Build details: JRE rough idle blower cam, ID1000s, LPE twins, ARH 1 7/8 LTs and Jannetty tune.
JRE KB intake tube Kit, ZR-1 MAP sensor, ZR-1 Plugs, NW 102 and LPE Twin Pumps
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
mcdoogle6969

Quote:

My claims are bogus? I have dyno sheets of what my car made. I have NEVER seen a maggie with bolt-ons hit that number on a L99, but I'd like to be shown otherwise. I've seen them hit 460-470 range on some cars! (which not saying that's what they all make, but I'd be dissapointed!)
I'm pretty sure the KB "Does was it's suppose to do" AND gets the bling factor!

My car is now running water/meth and IAT's are no longer an issue, only reason I may dump the KB is because I've been looking for a bigger build and a Procharger is in the not so distant future. Kthxbai!

I want to add, that I don't hate or dislike the maggie, It's a very good blower...With so much KB bash though it's hard to sit on the sidelines quietly.

Last edited by mcdoogle6969; 11-24-2012 at 11:53 AM.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #25
NS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
JRE KB intake tube Kit, ZR-1 MAP sensor, ZR-1 Plugs, NW 102 and LPE Twin Pumps
So what is the benefit of the new intake tube?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
ayousef

Quote:
So what is the benefit of the new intake tube?
intake tube could have a benefit if its located in an optimal location. If you could do something like an ADM race cold air intake that would drop the intake temps a bit.

But, I have no idea what would a ZR1 map sensor and plugs have anything to do with this

Old 11-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdoogle6969 View Post
My claims are bogus? I have dyno sheets of what my car made. I have NEVER seen a maggie with bolt-ons hit that number on a L99, but I'd like to be shown otherwise. I've seen them hit 460-470 range on some cars! (which not saying that's what they all make, but I'd be dissapointed!)
I'm pretty sure the KB "Does was it's suppose to do" AND gets the bling factor!

My car is now running water/meth and IAT's are no longer an issue, only reason I may dump the KB is because I've been looking for a bigger build and a Procharger is in the not so distant future. Kthxbai!

I want to add, that I don't hate or dislike the maggie, It's a very good blower...With so much KB bash though it's hard to sit on the sidelines quietly.
What i was trying to say is even 0.5 difference in boost = difference in hp. Different dyno, weather, humidity, correction factor, fuel, AFR, timing, other supporting mods such as heads, headers, cam, exhaust, cai.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
mcdoogle6969

Quote:
What i was trying to say is even 0.5 difference in boost = difference in hp. Different dyno, weather, humidity, correction factor, fuel, AFR, timing, other supporting mods such as heads, headers, cam, exhaust, cai.
2.8L Kenne Bell + full exhaust = 538rwhp on a superflow dyno on 93 pump gas. No heads, cam, cai (kit comes with one) ect...

lol anyways I know what your trying to say.

Last edited by mcdoogle6969; 11-24-2012 at 06:31 PM.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote