Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
* THE MOTHER OF CAMARO NEWS THREAD *

Source: General Motors Canada

Quotes:

Between now and 2013, Oshawa Car Plant production would begin on the “flex line” with the Chevrolet Camaro starting in early 2009, to be followed by two new front-wheel-drive mid-sized products.

The first front-wheel drive car, initially expected to start production in 2010 has now been delayed until late in 2011 as a necessary step to conserve cash. A hybrid version of this front-wheel-drive car would still be expected to proceed and would be the first hybrid car assembled in Canada.

The timing of the start of production of a second front-wheel-drive vehicle for the flex line has not yet been confirmed.

A further small-volume model that has been under consideration for the flex line is still subject to further assessment.

Also at the Oshawa Car Plant, production of the Chevrolet Impala on the “consolidated line” moved to two shifts of production effective February 9, 2009, and is expected to remain in production, subject to market conditions, until 2013.

St. Catharines Glendale Powertrain Facility will supply engines and transmissions for the new front wheel drive cars to be manufactured at Oshawa Car Plant. As a result of the delay in the start of production of the first front-wheel-drive car at the Oshawa Car Plant, the start of production of 6 speed front-wheel-drive transmissions will be delayed until mid-2012.

GM will also launch the ground-breaking Chevrolet Volt in 2010 with the Canadian launch expected in 2011. The Volt is an extended-range electric vehicle that will provide up to 65 km of electric-only driving on a single charge.

For the 2009 model year, GMCL is offering more hybrid models than any other company in Canada and GM plans to offer 15 hybrid models in North America by 2012. We have long been the largest seller of small cars in Canada. Going forward, 24 of the next 26 new planned vehicle launches in North America will be fuel-efficient cars or crossovers.

GMCL has become a fuel efficiency leader with 21 models for sale in Canada in the 2008 model year that achieve 7.0 Litres/100 km on the highway - more small fuel-efficient models than any other automaker in Canada.

While the challenges are great, GMCL has developed the Restructuring Plan that will enable it to emerge from the current market crisis as a viable, sustainable company. The Restructuring Plan requires several actions and agreements with GMCL stakeholders that must be accomplished before the end of March 2009.

GMCL has shared and reviewed an exhaustive range of financial and competitive information with the Ontario and Federal governments under appropriate non-disclosure agreements, and information has also been shared with the CAW. All of the key actions in the Restructuring Plan must be taken together to sustain GMCL‟s operations, reduce its structural costs, ensure its competitiveness and refinance its balance sheet to address unsustainable legacy costs.

The Restructuring Plan would allow GMCL to reduce and refinance these liabilities to ensure a viable, sustainable future business in Canada. We are prepared to negotiate financing agreements required to complete this Plan. GMCL‟s Restructuring Plan is also transformative. The benefits of success will include the launch of 5 new GM products, including the production of Canada‟s first hybrid cars, that will maintain Canada‟s proportion of Canadian-US production over the plan period. Working with Canadian universities and suppliers we will set new benchmarks in green technology R&D.

Through shared sacrifice, we will secure the pensions of thousands of GM retirees and the jobs of thousands of active employees and dependent workers in GM‟s supply chain. We will sustain GMCL‟s long and rich history in Canada and pay back Canadian taxpayers. GMCL appreciates its constructive partnerships with the Canadian Federal and Ontario Governments. We look forward to continuing our discussions in this regard and to finalizin

------------------------------------

Also stated in the release:

Camaro Start Of Production is simply listed as "03/09".

An "Unknown Convertible Model" will begin production in February of 2010.

A "Short Wheelbase Mid-Sized Sedan" will begin production in August of 2011.

A "Hybrid Variant of the Short Wheelbase Mid-Sized Sedan" will begin production in 4Q 2011.

A "Further Model" will begin production after this model.

A "Long Wheelbase Sedan" will begin production in January of 2013.

The Chevrolet Equinox will begin production in May 2009.

The GMC Terrain (name is confirmed in report) will begin production in August 2009.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
Damn thought it was ABL news... But 3/9 hmmmm and that cool for the vert

Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
Unknown convertible....LOL, hmmm....I wonder what model that is!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Thanks for the info
Old 02-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
2010 SS
Elderly Man

Drives: Your Local Bus
Good stuff.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
Scotty,
How long is the set up time to convert to making different models? This sounds like it might change the required lead time and increase the delivery time for Camaro orders that may not be lucky to be in the March production plan.
Sorry to ask but that my Operations Mgt exp coming out.
Keep up the good work.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat2SSRS2010 View Post
Scotty,
How long is the set up time to convert to making different models? This sounds like it might change the required lead time and increase the delivery time for Camaro orders that may not be lucky to be in the March production plan.
Keep up the good work.
If I had an answer for that question, I'm sure I wouldn't be sitting in a showroom, I'd be in GM Headquarters
Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Scotty,
Keep up the good work.
is that a stang in you sig i cant tell? if so what model?
Old 02-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
shadowed_Stranger
WAITING!

Drives: 97 V6 5spd
Quote:
Scotty,
Keep up the good work.
I may be wrong, but I thought the reason the flex plant was so advanced was that they could make a different vehicle every shift, virtually no lead time in switching models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C P View Post
I'll go ahead and say it... how could GM let this happen? They have 5 years to develop the new Camaro and no force field to protect from uninsured drivers???? I'm buying a Honda.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

as in FLEXible?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
PoleCat2SSRS2010
R6P Marketing Lab Rat

Drives: sometimes
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
is that a stang in you sig i cant tell? if so what model?
Thanks for asking. Yes. 70 Mach 1, 8 pt roll cage, 500 cid stroker, alum CJ heads, 1050 cfm dom, C6 8" conv 4500 stall, chrome moly drive shaft, Currie axle housing, Strange 35 splines and a Strange 9in case w/Det locker and 4.11s. and oh NOS and two fuel pumps. It was a wild ride. Owned it for 15 yrs. Bought it as body only. Had 2 Clevelands, 1 Ford SVO block w/4bbl Cleveland heads (Clevor) Kuntz stroker crank 375 cid. The 500 was fun, it got 6mpg. Sucked gas, haul @$%! Lots of HP at the throttle. The police would pull me over just only to see it. It was loud and rumbled at idle like a pro stock car..really.
I had to sell it to save myself from the economy and being laid off from Compaq. The person who bought it sold it off for a Harley. The guy who bought next had it for a real short time and it must have scared him and sold it to someone that knows a friend of mine and he has it in the 9 second zone.

I am just as excited about my new Camaro and hope to find a friendly GMPP dealer that will work with me and knows the parts. Any good suggestions for the Houston area? I sure could use a good parts man and PCM programmer.

I can tell you how to make brand F run and be a major player but I am looking forward to this new experience.
I hope to be forgiven for owning a Ford but as the wise sage Smokey once said; "
An engine never knows the difference in the valve covers." Stroker practices and theory apply to all name brands. I learned alot over the years and made many learned mistakes and I am willing to share if asked.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #12
CamaroEnergy4Life
CamaroEnergy4Life

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28
im confusedd!?? is the camaro production now starting 3/9/09?????
Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Thanks for asking. Yes. 70 Mach 1, 8 pt roll cage, 500 cid stroker, alum CJ heads, 1050 cfm dom, C6 8" conv 4500 stall, chrome moly drive shaft, Currie axle housing, Strange 35 splines and a Strange 9in case w/Det locker and 4.11s. and oh NOS and two fuel pumps. It was a wild ride. Owned it for 15 yrs. Bought it as body only. Had 2 Clevelands, 1 Ford SVO block w/4bbl Cleveland heads (Clevor) Kuntz stroker crank 375 cid. The 500 was fun, it got 6mpg. Sucked gas, haul @$%! Lots of HP at the throttle. The police would pull me over just only to see it. It was loud and rumbled at idle like a pro stock car..really.
I had to sell it to save myself from the economy and being laid off from Compaq. The person who bought it sold it off for a Harley. The guy who bought next had it for a real short time and it must have scared him and sold it to someone that knows a friend of mine and he has it in the 9 second zone.

I am just as excited about my new Camaro and hope to find a friendly GMPP dealer that will work with me and knows the parts. Any good suggestions for the Houston area? I sure could use a good parts man and PCM programmer.

I can tell you how to make brand F run and be a major player but I am looking forward to this new experience.
I hope to be forgiven for owning a Ford but as the wise sage Smokey once said; "
An engine never knows the difference in the valve covers." Stroker practices and theory apply to all name brands. I learned alot over the years and made many learned mistakes and I am willing to share if asked.
wow that is an amazing car....if you dont mind, and when you have a chance send me some pics of it....the hood looks amazing...sorry for the thread jack , that car is pretty much the only stangs I like ALOT.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
OUQTU
Former 2SS/RS Owner

Drives: Mini Countryman
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. I'm #1 on my dealer's allocation preorders, but he just told me today that they had a meeting with GM where they told him they are only building 6cyl Camaros for the first run and they won't say when they're going to start building SS units. Is this a crock of fertilizer or is there something GM's not telling us? 8000 of the 10000 preorders are supposedly for SSs but they're not building them? I don't get it.

Closed Thread