Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
ls427ray
Banned

Drives: 2010 camrao
Video of track launch. Suspension experts please give opinions.

Video of track launch. Suspension experts please give opinions.
Thanks in advance.

ls427ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
May get better response in the DragRace or suspension/Chassis section.
That is one heck of a Monster Build.Congrats.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly

Last edited by SSBUSDRVR; 12-05-2011 at 05:07 PM.
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
First, let me say I am not a modern Camaro expert, in fact I am still waiting for my 2012 to be delivered. But I do have allot of stock eliminator experience with older high horse power cars. In my opinion, your not getting any weight transfer. The front suspension needs to let the front end come up higher to transfer weight to the rear in a controlled manner. Also, the rear tire is not being properly planted. Typically, you look for separation between the body and tire in a controlled manner. Your car appears to be trying to squat down in back, which is probably a suspension goemetry problem. I would look for a drag specific suspension set up, which is very different from the suspensions often discussed on this forum. I don't know that you will ever hook up such a small rear tire with 1000 HP, but I would copy the COPO drag race Camaro's once they hit the track.

Once you have put a propoer drag suspension under the car, you may need to put a timing computer in the car to kill timing in first gear to get you off the line consistently. The starting line traction at a NHRA event are usually far superior to the poorly prepped starting line at a weekend event. I almost always had to pull 10-12 degrees timing out of first gear up to 5500 rpm to get off the line at weekend test and tunes. However, some weekend starting line crews take great pride in their prep work and had me dragging the rear bumper.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
2quick

Drives: none
Yea looks like you have some kind of geometry issues going on. What is on the car right now? Any trailing arms, toe links. Front sway bar on or disconnected? Springs? have you lowered it? coil overs? lots of stuff that we need to know to help better. Thanks
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Well that's absolutely a monster build. A list of suspension parts that you have installed on the car may be extremely helpful.

Things that immediately come to mind is the front end doesn't seem to allow for much lift, and the rear end seems to be bouncing all over the place. With our drag coilovers we package a longer spring specifically to let the front end lift, we also recommend our users drop their adjustable dampers on the front all the way soft to allow the front to lift on it's own without hindrance from the shocks.

As far as keeping the rear end in place if you have adjustable dampers tune them a couple clicks stiffer, this should add a little more platform to the rear and keep it from bouncing up and down on launching. Keep video taping the car as it launches, it's a fantastic data point to tune drag launches with. I would review the videos and keep adding damping to the rear until you've got the rear end oscillations under control.

Your car also looks a little low, that may be just because of the tire package your running, but for the sake of drag optimization you may want to raise your ride heights just a bit if you're on coilovers.

Check out this video of the ECS Tuning Camaro using our drag coilover package. This is an example of what you're looking for, front end lift and control of the rear end. They cut a 9.872 with a 1.4 60".

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
ls427ray
Banned

the car has in the rear, aftermarket trailing arms, toe links and a dss 9 inch rear. the rear is stock height and the front has 1.5 inch lowering springs. in this video the factory front sway bar is in place.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
ls427ray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Well that's absolutely a monster build. A list of suspension parts that you have installed on the car may be extremely helpful.

Things that immediately come to mind is the front end doesn't seem to allow for much lift, and the rear end seems to be bouncing all over the place. With our drag coilovers we package a longer spring specifically to let the front end lift, we also recommend our users drop their adjustable dampers on the front all the way soft to allow the front to lift on it's own without hindrance from the shocks.

As far as keeping the rear end in place if you have adjustable dampers tune them a couple clicks stiffer, this should add a little more platform to the rear and keep it from bouncing up and down on launching. Keep video taping the car as it launches, it's a fantastic data point to tune drag launches with. I would review the videos and keep adding damping to the rear until you've got the rear end oscillations under control.

Your car also looks a little low, that may be just because of the tire package your running, but for the sake of drag optimization you may want to raise your ride heights just a bit if you're on coilovers.

Check out this video of the ECS Tuning Camaro using our drag coilover package. This is an example of what you're looking for, front end lift and control of the rear end. They cut a 9.872 with a 1.4 60".
i notice in your video your car is an automatic, my car is manual shift 6 speed. do you think a "clutch car" can get the same 60 foot?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #8
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls427ray View Post
i notice in your video your car is an automatic, my car is manual shift 6 speed. do you think a "clutch car" can get the same 60 foot?
With some seat time and the right driver I would say yes you can. There are plenty of Vette guys cutting 1.3's with their 6 speed. Add a little weight for the Camaro and 1.4's is about right.
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
PfadtRacing

I would take a hard look at purchasing some Solid Subframe Mounts to keep the subframe from bounding around while launching, and if you aren't in a position to purchase coilovers I would at least reinstall the stock front springs to get that lift you're missing with the 1.5" drop. Also disconnecting the stock front bar may be a small help as well.

You're really close to cutting some fantastic times, a little more work and you're there!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
that video of ECS run makes me wanna go to the track!!! awesome run ESC for the power your making ...
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
best i have cut is an 1.62 with a M6 with drag radials.
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
ls427ray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
I would take a hard look at purchasing some Solid Subframe Mounts to keep the subframe from bounding around while launching, and if you aren't in a position to purchase coilovers I would at least reinstall the stock front springs to get that lift you're missing with the 1.5" drop. Also disconnecting the stock front bar may be a small help as well.

You're really close to cutting some fantastic times, a little more work and you're there!
tell me all about the drag race coil-overs you sell for drag cars.
will they make a big difference or just a small improvement?
is your drag race version ready to ship?
price for the drag-race version?

Last edited by ls427ray; 12-05-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
PfadtRacing

A 1.4x on a clutch car should be possible with the right driver, right car, right parts with the right track conditions. Last year during our Drag Package testing we took a video of the first car to have our drag kit installed. It's another L99 Automatic car and it sure wasn't making 1000rwhp, but it's more evidence that the package works.

At the level of preparation you're talking about "big difference" is tough to say. We're talking about a tenth of second difference here. The car will definitely weight transfer once setup properly and give you the best chance of getting out of the hole, but it's going to take great driving and a little bit of luck to get your car down to 1.4x. Our drag package can help you get there though. The springs are much softer and longer than what we normally package with our coilovers to allow the front end to lift. The adjustable dampers will also help you dial in exactly as much platform in the rear as you need to keep the back end under control.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #14
Camaro5innovator
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast
Before you get sold all these parts why dont we look at the obvious and look at what size the rim is (rim width, rim diameter and air pressure,tire size). Getting a car to hook on a stick car is way different than a auto. With the car being a IRS car , there will be no separation in rear.
Camaro5innovator is offline   Reply With Quote