Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #29
Adrian97c

Drives: Wife's 14' IS 250
I ended up giving up & trading her in for a gen6 in hyper blue... no issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Built on • 3/22/16
Adopted • 4/07/16

Sold on 2/05/16:
2014 Camaro SW L99, 2SS, RS, NAV, Inferno Orange Interior:
-Borla ATAK catback
-Range AFM delete
-15% tint all around
-Red LED interior bulbs
-55k white Cree LED fogs
-License plate LED bulb swap
-12" Sub Kit, BA amp swap
-Oracle ghosted LED sidemarkers
Adrian97c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #30
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
There is a small switch on the shifter base that sometimes causes issues. If it does not depress the plunger all the way the key won't come out, easy fix if it's the problem.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #31
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Here's a quick picture of the swirch
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #32
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I have had mine lock in place briefly but I usually turn the steering wheel back and forth about an inch or so and it pops out every time. Used to have the same issue in a Silverado and that was how I found out about it. have had it do it in other GM vehicles, only ones I ever had to have work done on was a 2003 Grand am, had it strand me three freaking times in about a month and a half. when that thing locked it was over, sledge hammer wouldn't that thing budge!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #33
Killermoose

Drives: 2014 SS
I have seen a couple of automatic's come in for this problem. Usually is a problem with the shifter not letting the key out. Changing out to a new shifter control solves the problem. Have not seen a manual have this same type of problem.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:47 AM   #34
dale88jrdew
Brad

Drives: 2016 2LT/RS
Had this happen in my 2014 2SS/RS. Key kept getting stuck when I'd turn the car off. The one day it happened I just drove straight to the dealer. The service guy got in and right away said oh, yes - wiggled the shifter and out came the key. It had something to do with the linkage and they replaced the whole shift module. Once they did that, haven't had the issue since.
dale88jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #35
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshagem7 View Post
I started having the same problem with my 2014 Camaro. It was driving me crazy. Dealership said I was over my warranty period, I drive a lot!!!! So I was going to have to pay for it out of my pocket. So I did some research, and took the covers off my steering column. There is a pin that moves back and forth that is connected to a little arm on the lock cylinder that locks the key in when you push the button on the gear shifter. I just simply pulled the pin out of the little arm and it works perfect now. Just like it never happened. This takes about 5 minutes to do. only tools needed are a 8mm socket, ratchet with extension to take off the cover, and a flat head screw driver to pull the pin out.
If you pull the steering column covers off, put the key in the ignition and start the car, then push the button on the shifter you will see exactly what im talking about.
Just though I would share my experience with you all.

Gonna try this...
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #36
dredster

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
My 2014 just started having this happen a couple of days ago. It's very intermittent. One thing to note, if you put your car in park and the doors don't unlock, your key won't come out either. I'm pretty sure it's the same shifter solenoid that does both because I've noticed that if my doors don't unlock, my key's stuck. Just an fyi.

I'm just over 58k miles but I do have an extended warranty and luckily this is a covered part. Otherwise, dealer said it's around 600 - 700 bucks to replace the entire shifter module, because it's one unit.
dredster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #37
guitarsjb

Drives: 2014 SS Camaro Coupe
Just happened to my 2014 SS, had to replace the entire shifter.
guitarsjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #38
djjewell

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS Convertible
Key Stuck in Ignition after turning off

My wifes 2015 Camaro started having this issue and after some research I believe I've found a fix on You Tube,
I've fought references to the "Safety Lockout Switch" on various forums and will give this a try when I get home from work tonight. I'll post the results after.
djjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #39
MjrStfy

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro V6 2LT RS
My 2015 automatic with approx 15000 miles just started to have this problem :( Doesn’t happen all the time. Doing different things to remove the key like restarting or move the gear Slector into drive then back into park or wiggle the slector side to side or turn the steering wheel back and forth.
MjrStfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #40
Screwblower

Drives: 14' 2ss convertible
If you squeeze the shifter button , it will release the key.
Had this key lock thing happen a couple of times.
What I noticed is with the key in the ignition when I squeeze the shifter button , I hear a click from the electrical lock under the column.
It doesn't release every time so that is a issue.
Had this happen to night. So with the car in park and the key stuck , I squeezed the shifter button until I heard a release under the column. Pulled the key out.
Screwblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #41
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Happens on mine (still) every once and a while. This is after having the key switch blade feature removed from the key per a service bulleting for my 2010. The first time it happened they said it was do to the battery, which they replaced under warranty .

I have to twist the steering wheel to remove the key when it gets stuck. Seems to be related to when the steering wheel locks after turning the car off. Poor design of GM's part the way the steering wheel lock and key cylinder interface.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #42
y2kgt46

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I think I have a fix. I noticed on my 2014 if you squeeze the trigger in the shifter after you put the car in park, you can hear the lock release in the ignition. Going into park it doesn't always make contact. If you put the car in park, and squeeze the trigger once it should solve the key issue. At least it has for me so far, 3 weeks and counting! Hope this helps.
y2kgt46 is offline   Reply With Quote