Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Slipping Rear-End

The limited slip rear end on our 1LE is, well, not so limited anymore. It was serviced at about 28K miles and then again at about 50K miles. There were signs of it not working quite right back at the 28K point. It has about 59K miles on it now. By GM's admission, it is not out of warranty. Car has never done a burnout or seen track time.

That being said, GM has just informed me that they are not going to warranty it because it would need to be disassembled at my cost to confirm no abuse. I asked them to define what would be considered abuse and never got a straight answer, so I figure it will be in my best financial interest to put the money that would go to their diagnoses towards an upgrade to the car. I am looking for advice from others that may have already made this improvement as to what products they used, and if in my area (SE Georgia), who performed the work for them.

On a side note, it is very disappointing that when purchasing a car with added performance features offered by a "track pack", and after looking at videos featuring the Chief Engineer of the Camaro line bragging about the capabilities of the car, that the company that built it will not stand behind it.
No one buys a 1LE or adds the ZO7 package to their Grand Sport or ZO6 just to go get groceries. And I am not talking about track use, but what we would all consider sprited driving. That being said, when a car that cost as little as these do produce performance numbers that equal or exceed vehicles that cost 2 and 3 times as much, you have to expect that some corners have been cut.

Enough about my whining! Still love the car and just want it to be right. Give me your thoughts.

PS: If I had just bought a damn catch can, I might not be in this boat!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
The limited slip rear end on our 1LE is, well, not so limited anymore. It was serviced at about 28K miles and then again at about 50K miles. There were signs of it not working quite right back at the 28K point. It has about 59K miles on it now. By GM's admission, it is not out of warranty. Car has never done a burnout or seen track time.

That being said, GM has just informed me that they are not going to warranty it because it would need to be disassembled at my cost to confirm no abuse. I asked them to define what would be considered abuse and never got a straight answer, so I figure it will be in my best financial interest to put the money that would go to their diagnoses towards an upgrade to the car. I am looking for advice from others that may have already made this improvement as to what products they used, and if in my area (SE Georgia), who performed the work for them.

On a side note, it is very disappointing that when purchasing a car with added performance features offered by a "track pack", and after looking at videos featuring the Chief Engineer of the Camaro line bragging about the capabilities of the car, that the company that built it will not stand behind it.
No one buys a 1LE or adds the ZO7 package to their Grand Sport or ZO6 just to go get groceries. And I am not talking about track use, but what we would all consider sprited driving. That being said, when a car that cost as little as these do produce performance numbers that equal or exceed vehicles that cost 2 and 3 times as much, you have to expect that some corners have been cut.

Enough about my whining! Still love the car and just want it to be right. Give me your thoughts.

PS: If I had just bought a damn catch can, I might not be in this boat!
If your going to upgrade, Eaton true trac is a good option. Helical type diff same as Z/28s

DynoSteve has great deals on them. Got mine from him...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
If your going to upgrade, Eaton true trac is a good option. Helical type diff same as Z/28s

DynoSteve has great deals on them. Got mine from him...

-Don
You are the second person to suggest that part!
Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
+1 dynoSteve at RDP...and get his tune deal if you are not already...whole different world....good luck!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
What the hell could a catch can do to the diff ????????????????????????
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Hilflos

Drives: 2015 1SS / RS NPP
When I did mine, I did an Eaton True-Trac. I went with JDP at the time, and did 3.91's as I had a stock SS diff beforehand.

No muss, no fuss.

Zero regrets.
Hilflos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
What the hell could a catch can do to the diff ????????????????????????
About as much as it has to do with your engine in my opinion!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
About as much as it has to do with your engine in my opinion!
You said it not me .PS: If I had just bought a damn catch can, I might not be in this boat!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
gajagfan

Quote:
You said it not me .PS: If I had just bought a damn catch can, I might not be in this boat!
I know I said it, and I meant what I said. In my opinion, they are as valuable to health of your rear-end as they are to your engine in non-DI engine.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
GONIF

How could a catch can affect the diff ?
Old 03-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
A torsen style diff is clearly an upgrade, but I am not sold on the dealers approach to servicing a warranty claim. Talk to the GM. If you don't get a satisfactory result, time to speak with GM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 PM   #12
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A torsen style diff is clearly an upgrade, but I am not sold on the dealers approach to servicing a warranty claim. Talk to the GM. If you don't get a satisfactory result, time to speak with GM.
Couldn't hurt .
Old 03-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I did just that. Started at the dealer, who said that they could not answer my questions of what would or would not be warranted. They were more than happy to take it apart and give me an answer, but before looking could not tell me what would or would not be covered. I told them that was not acceptable, and they suggested that I call GM which I did.

The first person I spoke with GM took my info and said that the would be getting with someone that would call me back. Later that day I got a call from my dealer, and they gave me another number at GM to call and start a case file on the problem. The dealer said that by doing this, they could move forward (not sure what that meant). I called the new number and started a case file.

There were a few different folks that I spoke with from GM on multiple occasions after a case file was created, all very nice and professional. They spoke with the dealer, and eventually got back with me and said that the dealer, and they agree, feel that the rear end had been abused and would not be warrantied. There justification was that I had admitted to sliding the car a bit through corners, which they consider abuse. I questioned them regarding their producing a car that was track oriented that could not take spirited street driving, and they again said that what I had done classified as abuse.

I, like yo do not agree, but before I spend $200 for an evaluation, to be told that I abused my car (Which I did not), I thought it better to move forward with a better product. If you have any other suggestions, I welcome them. I guess this is the old if you play your going to pay deal!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #14
gajagfan

Quote:
How could a catch can affect the diff ?
It can't...and it's not going to help your engine either in my opinion. Does that make more sense?