Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #29
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Ok, so what I know about knock and the low octane table. The low table is used when the engine detects knock, either from poor octane, high IAT's, too much advance or whatever. The ecm puts the engine into the low table for the amount of time defined in the ecm to lower timing and prevent further knock. This time can vary and is adjustable in the ecm. I have never heard of an engine staying in the low table and a fuse needing pulled. My opinion is based on the e67 genIV so maybe it's different elsewhere.

The E38 pcm found in the SS suffers from this hard lock to the low table. Even dynos have proven this to be true , wheel horse power increases after fuse pull with no drain or add of diffrent fuel additives
Old 03-16-2020, 09:35 PM   #30
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
The E38 pcm found in the SS suffers from this hard lock to the low table. Even dynos have proven this to be true , wheel horse power increases after fuse pull with no drain or add of diffrent fuel additives
If it was mine, I would be looking for a source of knock to prevent the retard to the lower table. It shouldn't just be going there for no reason. Are we logging knock?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:40 PM   #31
FasNuf

At least the tuner didn't copy the high table to the low table! Sorry, just looking on the bright side.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #32
Rons1le

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE AGM
Ok, for the record it does depend on the tuner so ask. I asked mine he said octane tables in my car are turn off. Mine is only set to 93 and will not adjust.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.
Rons1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #33
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post
Ok, for the record it does depend on the tuner so ask. I asked mine he said octane tables in my car are turn off. Mine is only set to 93 and will not adjust.

What happens when and if you get knock though? The engine goes boom? Bad idea to turn off the octane tables in the tune unless you always run race gas.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:02 PM   #34
FasNuf

Old 03-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #35
Rons1le

I'm running forced induction so it wouldn't matter it wouldn't be able to adjust in time anyways.. Mine has knocked before on the dyno and did not go kaboom..

2015 2SS RS 1LE NPP/w Kooks headers, Procharged, ID1050X injectors, Katech belt tensioner, Mighty Mouse Catch Can, BMR subframe connectors, Matco driveshaft loop, AEM Wideband/Boost/Fuel gauges , Z/28 Splitter and Spoiler/w Wicker bill, Power Stop rotors and brake pads, MRR Z/28 Rep Wheels 20" w/p zeros 285 fronts and 305 rears, ZL1 addons Rock guards and Tow hook, Rear window louvers, Flags on the quarter windows and the moonroof, Billet aluminum door handles.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #36
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
As long as the knock sensors aren't desensitized or turned off and the adjustability is left high you should be fine. Unless you run the wrong fuel. My car can pull timing and dump fuel when knock is sensed without having to drop to a low octane table. I honestly don't know if there's a low octane table in my tune anymore. I'll ask when i go to get dynotuned again.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #37
Rons1le

I just asked for a more indepth answer and he said it does have about 4° of adjustability but if it does it will run like crap.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 PM   #38
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Reading this thread made me pull the fuses again lol. Wonder if there is a way we can make a switch to do it
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 PM   #39
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’ll say this bout all that. I’ve been hanging around here since 2012 and bought my SS in 2015. I’ve done the fuse pull several times (on 91 octane) and I can honesty say, it didn’t make one shit of difference. And I’m pretty ‘in tune’ with my 5 year old car. Sorry, call em the way I see em.

I just did this again last week. I suppose if I went from 85 to 93, I might feel a difference. I’m going to whatever the low table is set to, to the only thing I can get - 91.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #40
davidscamaro

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 BIG cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Reading this thread made me pull the fuses again lol. Wonder if there is a way we can make a switch to do it

Were there is a will there is a way , look into line lock threads to find your answers. People have done this , not for pcm but for abs, to use factory launch control with line lock.

The same mods could be used for controlling the fused links for the pcm 5/20 fuses , only hot when ignition on
Old 03-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #41
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidscamaro View Post
Were there is a will there is a way , look into line lock threads to find your answers. People have done this , not for pcm but for abs, to use factory launch control with line lock.

The same mods could be used for controlling the fused links for the pcm 5/20 fuses , only hot when ignition on
Thanks that’s a idea
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #42
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Ok, so what I know about knock and the low octane table. The low table is used when the engine detects knock, either from poor octane, high IAT's, too much advance or whatever. The ecm puts the engine into the low table for the amount of time defined in the ecm to lower timing and prevent further knock. This time can vary and is adjustable in the ecm. I have never heard of an engine staying in the low table and a fuse needing pulled. I would question why it's staying in the low table, not pulling a fuse as a band-aid. Any knock is unwanted, even if it's your headers rattling on your frame.
My opinion is based on the e67 genIV so maybe it's different elsewhere.
IIRC, it was a software bug in the PCM first found in 2011 on a 2011 L99 that prevented the software from returning to the hi table after going back to 93. Since then the rage was to do the fuse pull. Everyone who did so got an instant 50hp from the ole butt dyno. Except for me. My 2010 LS3 behaved the same, because it never had under 93 in it or apparently no bad gas either. But this was a real thing and the only fix is the fuse pull, or battery disconnect for a period of time. The question I never saw answered is, was this ever fixed by GM? Seems like people up into 2015MY were swearing by the fuse pull.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote