Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Vararam: change red coupler hose

There are two things which I realy don't like about the red coupler hose of my new Vararam:

- It is red
- The nipple which is simply sticked into the red coupler hose

Sticked into the red rubber coupler the nipple doesnt get a lot of support. Because the engine is moving while the Vararam intake is fixed the red coupler hose is in permanent action. At the same time the PVC line hose is pulling on this nipple. I already installed a cable strap to the nipple from the inside of the red coupler hose to make shure it wont go anywhere.

The second problem I am not shure about is the fact that the nipple reaches quite far into the coupler hose and has a affect on the air stream. I mean a lot of us are buying stuff like Vmax porte TB or Fast intakes to improve airflow. At the same time we plug a 1 1/2 inch long nipple right in front of the TB inlet.... this make sense to me.

So I would basically like to change this nipple for something else or remove it completely.

.... oh and at the same time I'd like to swap the red coupler hose for a black one.

Any ideas and recommendations are welcome.

Attached Images

mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
There are two things which I realy don't like about the red coupler hose of my new Vararam:

- It is red
- The nipple which is simply sticked into the red coupler hose

Sticked into the red rubber coupler the nipple doesnt get a lot of support. Because the engine is moving while the Vararam intake is fixed the red coupler hose is in permanent action. At the same time the PVC line hose is pulling on this nipple. I already installed a cable strap to the nipple from the inside of the red coupler hose to make shure it wont go anywhere.

The second problem I am not shure about is the fact that the nipple reaches quite far into the coupler hose and has a affect on the air stream. I mean a lot of us are buying stuff like Vmax porte TB or Fast intakes to improve airflow. At the same time we plug a 1 1/2 inch long nipple right in front of the TB inlet.... this make sense to me.

So I would basically like to change this nipple for something else or remove it completely.

.... oh and at the same time I'd like to swap the red coupler hose for a black one.

Any ideas and recommendations are welcome.

This got to me as well when I had my RAM. ALso the MAF sits in the middle of all that heat. But the outcome was , the nipple didn't move a bit and heat wasn't an issue and the Vararam was the most powerful intake of all 3 I had on my car, only issue is the removal of the MAF during cleaning. MAF sensor plugs are not meant to be unplugged and plugged back in that many times.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
You could get an RX breather and eliminate the hose completely. You would cap off that nipple, and the other end as well.
Teamspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
mike.nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamspeed View Post
You could get an RX breather and eliminate the hose completely. You would cap off that nipple, and the other end as well.

Thats what I was thinking about aswell. Thatway I could also swap the red coupler hose for a black one (without a nipple-whole).
Old 11-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
mike.nite

Does anyone knows if the stock coupler hoes could be reused on the vararam? (Don't have mine here to check)
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Ucantctchme

Drives: 2010 ss. 1990 RS the faster one.
I'm sorry but you should learn to over look this. Go to track and actually race your car or send the vararam back and buy something else. You bought the Vararam because you are a well informed consumer and research showed the this will provide a significant improvement over stock right? So........
Ucantctchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
CooG
RIP - Convertible SS

Drives: '13 Mustang Boss 302 - RED
I'm looking to do the same. Anyone know what type of hose this is......what it's called...where to get it?
CooG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
boat rx

Drives: 2010 2ssrs
4 inch hose

I replaced mine with a blue piece,I purchased it at Amazon Hose andRubber here in Miami.It is a silicone hose the we use in marine exhaust systems.I am sure there are cheaper options but this stuff is really tuff.
boat rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
mike.nite

So I'll need a black 4inch hose to replace the red one and a RX breather to get the huge nipple out of my intake channel. Sounds like a plan.

Any downside of the RX breather v.s. the PVC hose connected directly to the intake manifold?
Old 11-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

From what I have been told you need a 4" ID hose/coupler that is 2" long. Just so you know the dimensions of a replacement coupler.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
So I'll need a black 4inch hose to replace the red one and a RX breather to get the huge nipple out of my intake channel. Sounds like a plan.

Any downside of the RX breather v.s. the PVC hose connected directly to the intake manifold?
I stock Silicone 4 inch couplers in Black you will have to add your own hole for the crankcase breather.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

If he is putting on the RX breather, then there should be no hole needed in that coupler, just need to cap off the other end where that hose would have gone, then install the breather in lieu of the oil fill cap. At least this is how I understand the installation of the breather.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I replaced mine with a black one. Then I drilled a hole in the box itself and fastened a hose nipple and slid the hose on
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
Teamspeed
Invisicord Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
I replaced mine with a black one. Then I drilled a hole in the box itself and fastened a hose nipple and slid the hose on
I don't think that is a good idea. This means you are now introducing oil upstream of the MAF? There isn't really any good place to introduce the oil/air line so that it is past the MAF except on that coupler. If I were keeping the factory crankcase line, I would still keep the hose running to the coupler, but would try to relocate it on a different side than top center.