Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Stock tires or DR's? From what I have read the guy's on the Official go fast list slide the clutch.
For the c5fest bunch, I don't think I'd be dumping the clutch with drag radials and stock shafts 1000 miles from home.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
For the c5fest bunch, I don't think I'd be dumping the clutch with drag radials and stock shafts 1000 miles from home.

I will be paying close attention to the fast M6 guys at C5 Fest. Like I said earlier in the thread 2.3 60 ' is my best.

Last edited by Merc; 04-04-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #17
nuptualnemesis
NuptualNemesis

Drives: Silver 1SS M6 - 480hp 11.57/120.79
Lots of tips on drag racing in this thread and launching an M6.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62548

Get Trailing Arms. BMR Fabrication has them for $139.99. You can install and they reduce 60 foot and stop wheel hop which will break things.
nuptualnemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #18
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
My best 60' time on stock tires at 32 lbs is 1.87. What works best for me is to bring RPM's up to about 3k. When the light pops, I slip the Cluth to get moving. When I've rolled out about 10-15 feet, I roll onto the throttle while at the same time releasing the clutch rapidly. Not dumping it, but just short of that. There should be a little chirp or spin, but not much. If what you're doing isn't getting you the short time you want, try something else. Practice..... A lot.
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
comm54
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2SS/RS IBM M6-when she lets me
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuptualnemesis View Post
Lots of tips on drag racing in this thread and launching an M6.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62548

Get Trailing Arms. BMR Fabrication has them for $139.99. You can install and they reduce 60 foot and stop wheel hop which will break things.
Thanks for posting the link, Great Thread!!!
:flag2:
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
OrangeChevyII

Drives: 2010 RS/SS2
Practice practice practice
First to run 11's all motor
First to run 10's (10.96) and did it with a 100% bonestock long block and a power adder (nitrous)
First to run 10's (10.55) on motor in 2010 Camaro
First to break into the 5's (5.97) 1/8th mile
First to cut a 1.5X sixty foot
First to cut a 1.4x sixty foot
First to car to cut a 1.3x 60ft
OrangeChevyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm not drag racing, just driving the manual around town. I've been driving manual for...about 6 months now and the only downshifts I've done were really slow...like taking the exit ramp in 5th, put it in neutral and let it drop to idle...and then jam it into 3rd to speed back up after the turn, like a boss. Can you explain the proper way to downshift, explain it like I'm 10 years old lol.

Also, engine breaking. I've never even tried it, scared it will hurt my transmission. I've given rides to a few manual driving friends and they've razzed me for not engine breaking. Is is smart to do and how do you do it? Again, please explain like I'm 10 so I can try it out.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojoe16 View Post
I'm not drag racing, just driving the manual around town. I've been driving manual for...about 6 months now and the only downshifts I've done were really slow...like taking the exit ramp in 5th, put it in neutral and let it drop to idle...and then jam it into 3rd to speed back up after the turn, like a boss. Can you explain the proper way to downshift, explain it like I'm 10 years old lol.

Also, engine breaking. I've never even tried it, scared it will hurt my transmission. I've given rides to a few manual driving friends and they've razzed me for not engine breaking. Is is smart to do and how do you do it? Again, please explain like I'm 10 so I can try it out.

Thanks guys!
Let's say you want to downshift to pass a car.
Practice downshifting like this...

Find a lonely straight stretch of hiway, driving along at 2,000 rpm in 5th gear. Look at your speedo, remember the speed.

Downshift to 4th gear and run the same speed. What does the tach read?

Let's assume your rpm's went from 2,000 to 3,500 rpm's when you downshifted and running the same speed.

Shift back into 5th gear, and get your tach back to 2,000 rpm's. Downshift again, but this time, clutch in, rev to 3,500 rpm's, and hold rev's, downshift to 4th, clutch out while still holding rev's.

Give that a try and come back, tell us what happens.

When the motor isn't under load (coasting like during a shift), 3,500 rpm's will always be in the same spot when pushing the throttle. Ex: if you push the throttle 1 inch, you get approx. 3500 rpm's. Let your foot memorize that position.

If you do it over and over and over again, you'll start doing it faster each time. If you do it enough, eventually you'll be downshifting like a pro... clutch-blip-n-shift-declutch... Your engine braking buddies will be saying... "How did you do that?" Just smile and don't say a word.

It's kind of like learning to juggle, Orange said it best...
"OrangeChevyII Practice practice practice"
Old 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #23
PB3

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS/GFX/M6
Man am I so glad I came across this thread! MisterCamaro, I must say thank you for the "Rev-matching for Dummies" explanation. I am with Chicagojoe, sometimes things need to be explained to me like I am 10 years old! Even with your great explanation I am still a little confused

Quote:
Shift back into 5th gear, and get your tach back to 2,000 rpm's. Downshift again, but this time, clutch in, rev to 3,500 rpm's, and hold rev's, downshift to 4th, clutch out while still holding rev's.
Ok, I read this like you are telling us to clutch in, rev engine to 3.5k rpm's, with the clutch still in and foot on gas holding rev's shift into 4th. But the the clutch out while holding rev's part is what confuses me :(

Quote:
clutch-blip-n-shift-declutch..
Here I read it like: clutch in, rev to 3.5k rpms, with the clutch still in and foot on gas holding rev's shift into 4th, THEN release clutch.

I am a dumbass I know. Is my first interpretation or second the one that sound be preformed?
Old 04-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Brokenlizrd

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Charcoal
Send a message via Skype™ to Brokenlizrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB3 View Post
Here I read it like: clutch in, rev to 3.5k rpms, with the clutch still in and foot on gas holding rev's shift into 4th, THEN release clutch.
ya you got it go try it now
Brokenlizrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Man am I so glad I came across this thread! MisterCamaro, I must say thank you for the "Rev-matching for Dummies" explanation. I am with Chicagojoe, sometimes things need to be explained to me like I am 10 years old! Even with your great explanation I am still a little confused

Ok, I read this like you are telling us to clutch in, rev engine to 3.5k rpm's, with the clutch still in and foot on gas holding rev's shift into 4th. But the the clutch out while holding rev's part is what confuses me :(

I am a dumbass I know. Is my first interpretation or second the one that sound be preformed?
Sorry, I've been busy..... The rpm's I stated are generic, but yes, you're revving up the engine to meet your lower gear, but it's not necessarily 3500 rpm's. it's whatever your car's rpm's are at a particular speed in a particular gear.

This is just an example... let's say:
50 mph in 3rd gear is 4500 rpm's
50 mph in 4th gear is 3500 rpm's
50 mph in 5th gear is 2500 rpm's
50 mph in 6th gear is 1500 rpm's
(These aren't actual numbers for your car)

If your car is geared as above (it isn't), If you're cruising at 50 in 6th gear at 1500 rpm's, you can downshift to 3rd gear, but you should rev the engine to 4500 rpm's as you're shifting. When you release the clutch, have the engine revved to 4500 rpm's, and the car won't decelerate (engine brake).

What you're doing is getting your engine rpm's up to the same rpm's as the clutch.

Find out what your actual rpm's are at the same speeds as above and use those numbers.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #26
PB3

Quote:
Sorry, I've been busy..... The rpm's I stated are generic, but yes, you're revving up the engine to meet your lower gear, but it's not necessarily 3500 rpm's. it's whatever your car's rpm's are at a particular speed in a particular gear.

This is just an example... let's say:
50 mph in 3rd gear is 4500 rpm's
50 mph in 4th gear is 3500 rpm's
50 mph in 5th gear is 2500 rpm's
50 mph in 6th gear is 1500 rpm's
(These aren't actual numbers for your car)

If your car is geared as above (it isn't), If you're cruising at 50 in 6th gear at 1500 rpm's, you can downshift to 3rd gear, but you should rev the engine to 4500 rpm's as you're shifting. When you release the clutch, have the engine revved to 4500 rpm's, and the car won't decelerate (engine brake).

What you're doing is getting your engine rpm's up to the same rpm's as the clutch.

Find out what your actual rpm's are at the same speeds as above and use those numbers.
Nice!

So hypothetically speaking, If I am in at a speed of 50 in 6th gear. My RPM's are at 1500, I want to down shift to 4th. I know at 50 in 4th gear my RPM's should be 3500. I clutch, put it into nuetral, rev to 3500, once I am there put it into 4th, and let clutch go. I am sure that as I get better it's all pretty much just one quick motion. I am just trying to break it down and understand it before I go out on the highway and try it . Those lke you mentioned aren't real numbers. I was just using your numbers for example purposes.
See, I had always been told that if you had the clutch and accelerator down at the same time you were "riding" the clutch and that was bad. What is "riding" the clutch?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #27
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Nice!

So hypothetically speaking, If I am in at a speed of 50 in 6th gear. My RPM's are at 1500, I want to down shift to 4th. I know at 50 in 4th gear my RPM's should be 3500. I clutch, put it into nuetral, rev to 3500, once I am there put it into 4th, and let clutch go. I am sure that as I get better it's all pretty much just one quick motion. I am just trying to break it down and understand it before I go out on the highway and try it . Those lke you mentioned aren't real numbers. I was just using your numbers for example purposes.
See, I had always been told that if you had the clutch and accelerator down at the same time you were "riding" the clutch and that was bad. What is "riding" the clutch?
You got it!

Slight riding the clutch happens every time you take off from a start. As you slowly let out the clutch while accelerating you'll get a small amount of clutch slip, but that's okay, that's a necessary evil in a manual car, as long as it isn't excessive.

Excessive clutch slipping, or 'riding the clutch' happens when you rev the motor too high at a start, and let the clutch out too slow..... It's sometimes followed by a "What's that smell?" comment.

Some drag racers will intentionally ride the clutch off the line to keep rev's up and control wheel spin, it works well, but at a price... Eventually you'll be pricing a new clutch. But in drag racing it's that or snapping a drivetrain part from dumping the clutch. (clutch dump = rev and super quick clutch release)
Old 04-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #28
PB3

Quote:
Excessive clutch slipping, or 'riding the clutch' happens when you rev the motor too high at a start, and let the clutch out too slow..... It's sometimes followed by a "What's that smell?" comment.
Ahhh yes. I have had many moments of these

I appreciate the patience on explaining this! I plan on trying this a few times this weekend. Now I just need to figure out why it's so difficult to shift into 2nd at high RPM's!

I never knew what "dumping the clutch" meant. Ha! Thanks for throwing that in.