Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Estimate WHP after GPI mods/tune. Sitting at 390 w/ LTH, HiFlo cats, vararam cai.
<450 0 0%
450-475 11 57.89%
475-500 6 31.58%
500+ 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2021, 12:16 AM   #1
Armyavi8r

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
GPI Build Journey

Hi all. I wanted to provide a rundown of my experience with GPI and subsequent updates as the car goes in to their shop (at their new location) next month. I've been working with James who has been outstanding in answering all my questions (which have been many) and getting me lined out on a solid build plan. I'm fortunate to live near GPI, and as a military member, I get a great discount on parts and labor.

I have a 2010 2SS/RS A6 so an L99 motor. I bought it in March with 52k miles, single owner, bone stock. I bought it after my 2011 RS that I had for 3 years was totalled by a red light runner in North Little Rock. While I loved that car, often I wished I had opted for the V8.

I originally called GPI in May to inquire about installing long tube headers and a tune but they were booked out over a month, so I went with Arkansas Perfomance Exhaust who did a great job with the install and tune. I also added a Vararam CAI and a Soler 95mm ported throttle body.

After reading many of the discussion threads here and FB posts, I figured out why GPI was booked out over a month- they are in high demand and nationally renowned for their cams and porting services. So I stopped in to talk mods for the car.

As many of you can well understand, my initial plan has changed as I have researched, talked to fellow Camaro owners and of course, conferred with James at GPI. The goal remains the same- a daily driver with respectable power and performance, but staying NA.

In my initial discussion, I was intent on a cam upgrade and a few additional little things. I had a budget in mind and wanted to stay within that. Of course, then there's the inevitable snowball....

So now, the car will go in to GPI mid-August. Below is the list of planned mods:

-GPI Stage 3 VVT cam with AFM delete
-Johnson lifters
-CHE trunnions
-GPI ported cylinder heads
-GPI ported Rod Mod
-Circle D 4C 3600-3800 stall
-AAM 3.91 gear
-Derale Xmsn cooler
-Mishimoto baffled catch can
-Powerbond underdrive pulley

I arrived at this list incrementally as I read, learned and discussed with members on here, etc.

Of course a GPI tune and dyno will follow. James will be providing updates to me as the work progresses and I will post them here.

This is my first major modification to a car. I know there are a lot of people out there in the same boat so I thought I'd share my experience. Many of you will frown on me for not doing the work myself. Well, I'm not a great mechanic for starters, I gave up my garage to be a gymnastics area for my kids and of course, this list of work is pretty involved. My enjoyment comes more from driving a well maintained machine (much like the Army aircraft I fly).

I'm interested to know what you think about the mods. I'm already over budget so not adding to this list, but in the future, I'll do chassy upgrades, etc.

I'll keep you posted as the work gets underway.
Attached Images

2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.

Last edited by Armyavi8r; 07-21-2021 at 01:13 AM.
Armyavi8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:12 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I think that you got a great mod list. You have picked the best of the best. It should be a blast to drive. Have you considered a ported throttle body? And what oil pump are you going to use?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:37 AM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
it's going to be a great build with a very drivable car around town.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:45 AM   #4
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
GPI makes crazy cams. You're going to love the sound.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
Ashen 6.2

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/SS
Great list of mods and it will be worth the wait! Great people at GPI!

Mods - GPI 416 w/Custom Grind Cam, Ported Heads & Tuned by Ben, Mag Heartbeat, ZL1 Fuel Pump & DSX Aux Pump, NW 103 TB, FIC 1650's, Alky Meth, Circle D 3600 Triple Disc, RPM 5” CAI, Kooks Headers, Solo Cat Back, Viking Coil Overs & all the BMR Goodies in the rear, Zl1 3.23 Diff, DSS Axles, Gulfcoast Driveshaft, Hendrix Offset Diff Bushings, AFE Solid Subframe Bushings, 875HP/843TQ 5FDP
Ashen 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #6
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Helll ya man!

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:07 AM   #7
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I mean not much more you can do without boost or really cutting her open. Nice build! Courious to see what she makes on the dyno. GPI is fantastic to work with. I did the wrench work myself but ran into a number of issues(most on this thread probably know) but their support was awesome.

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
Inferno dogg

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
great list as all say but I would go with a Trucool 40 instead of the derail. I have the Derail and my car gets a bit to hot. Switching over to Trucool this weekend.
GPI SS3 cam with top end goodies,Circle D 4c 3800 w/Derale trans cooler kit sold by GPI,3.90 yukon gears,Kooks long tube headers,Roto fab cold air intake, Corsa extreme 3" cat back, Dyno tuned by Andrews Auto Georgetown MI, Heritage Grille, T4 splitter with under tray, Anvil spoiler,MRR 228 reps with Nitto NT555G2 tires 315 rear 275 fronts,BMR poly bushings,HD Diff cover from RDP,Raytech install kit
Inferno dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #9
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I think that you got a great mod list. You have picked the best of the best. It should be a blast to drive. Have you considered a ported throttle body? And what oil pump are you going to use?
I couldn't find a VMAX, but the Soler Performance PTB is supposedly equal in quality so I went with that and installed it prior to the exhaust work (LTH, High Flow cats and X-pipe). Definitely noticed a difference in throttle response.
2010 2SS/RS A6. GPI SS3 VVT Cam, 228/246 / AFM Delete / Circle D 4C 36-3800 Stall / Stainless Works LTHs, High Flow Cats, X-pipe, Borla Pro XS Mufflers and Quad Tips / Vararam CAI / Soler 95mm PTB / AAM 3.91 gear / GPI Ported Heads / GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake Manifold/ Smith Bros. Trunnions / GPI 5/16" hardened push rods, 7.425"/ Chevrolet Racing Lifters / Melling 10355 Oil Pump / Powermaster XS Torque Starter / Derale Xmsn Cooler / 1LE Suspension Upgrade System / BMR Strut Tower Brace, Trailing Arms and Toe Rods / Powerbond 25% UDP / Mishimoto catch can / iDatalink Maestro.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno dogg View Post
great list as all say but I would go with a Trucool 40 instead of the derail. I have the Derail and my car gets a bit to hot. Switching over to Trucool this weekend.
Gotcha, thanks for the info on xmsn cooler. I'll ask about it.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyavi8r View Post
I couldn't find a VMAX, but the Soler Performance PTB is supposedly equal in quality so I went with that and installed it prior to the exhaust work (LTH, High Flow cats and X-pipe). Definitely noticed a difference in throttle response.
You should be good to go then. Just make sure and post your progress as we are all waiting to see your dyno numbers 😉
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 07-21-2021, 12:46 PM   #12
Armyavi8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
You should be good to go then. Just make sure and post your progress as we are all waiting to see your dyno numbers 😉
Totally will do that! I did discuss the oil pump and the thinking was the stock pump is pretty reliable and adequate for a NA build like this. Are you tracking something different? Interested to learn.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #13
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyavi8r View Post
Totally will do that! I did discuss the oil pump and the thinking was the stock pump is pretty reliable and adequate for a NA build like this. Are you tracking something different? Interested to learn.
I had low idle pressure with 3 oil pumps. The stock one, the Melling 365, and the Melling 10295. I had like 15 psi at idle. I then changed it to a Melling 10355HV and my pressure went up to around 30 psi at idle. I also used the high pressure spring it comes with and I also plugged the oil bypass relief valve in the pan. The bypass relief valve just bypasses the oil filter when you have over 50 psi and I didn't like that. Now at cruising I have 50-60 psi and at wot I think I've seen 70 psi. I think that's a lot better not recycling the oil without the oil filter and I like the idea of having more pressure at wot. I can't say enough about the Melling 10355HV pump it's really good. I would recommend getting one if you can.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Great information. This is going to be a great build. Can't wait to hear about the progress.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote