Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
all muSScle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Morel 7717 Drop-In Lifters

All,

I am in the process of rebuilding the LS3 out of 2013 Camaro SS and wanted to get some input regarding the Morel 7717 drop in replacement lifters. Here is a basic break down of the build:

-Balance and blueprint engine
-Stock bottom end w/ ARP hardware (main studs and ARP2000 rod bolts)
-New bearings (mains, rods, cam) and rings
-New GM Oil Pump and pickup tube w/ Improved Racing Pickup Tube Brace
-Cloyes Race Billet True Roller Timing Set w/ C5R Extreme Duty Chain
-BTR Timing Chain Dampener
-TSP Stage 2 N/A Cam (229/244, .629/.615, 112 LSA)
-PAC .660 Dual Valve Springs, Titanium Retainers, Viton Seals, New Seats and Locks
-CHE Trunnion Upgrade
-Morel 7717 Drop-In Lifters
-GM Lifter Trays
-All new gaskets and seals (Fel-pro and GM only)
-ARP Fasteners across the board

This is strictly being built as a fun, reliable street car but with the aggressive lobe profiles, high spring pressures, and RPM capabilities of the TSP cam I’m a little concerned about the reliability of the drop-in style lifters. The cam makes peak power at 6600 RPM per TSP and I don’t have any intention of reviving it much past that as this isn’t a race car but I want the peace of mind that it will handle it if I do want to romp on it. I chose the Morels as I have used them in the past on a couple of SBC builds and was very impressed with them (albeit they were link bar style) and they also seemed like an upgrade over the LS7 lifters that many folks use with cam swaps. However, the previous Morels that I purchased came in a nice sealed, foam tray whereas these came in a cardboard box with cardboard separators so I was a little shocked at that. I’m sure that has little relevance on the quality but it didn’t give me the warm, fuzzy feeling either. This car is not my daily driver and will be babied for the most part so I didn’t feel that I needed $1000 plus set of lifters for a build that won’t see anything past 6700-6800 RPM but wanted to get others opinions on the reliability of the drop-in style lifters, specifically the Morel 7717’s and see if these would be suitable for my application? Lastly, I know that proper pushrod length is key to setting the proper preload on the lifters and is a major factor in terms of longevity on the net lash style valve train and this will all be properly measured at the machine shop before ordering push rods.

Thanks in advance.
all muSScle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #2
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
The 7717 is the replacement for the 6504 lifters, which are their no-frills LS7 OEM style lifter. These are more or less equivalent to the OEM LS7 style lifters that came stock on your LS3. So, not an upgrade, not a downgrade.

Dollar for value, the best lifter option for most street style builds are the Chevrolet Performance - Racing/GMPP "Caddy" lifters. These are outwardly the same dimension as the OEM LS7 lifter, but they are a higher material quality, higher build quality, and a superior check-ball internal mechanism. We've used these with spring pressures approaching 500lbs open and 8,000rpm combinations with good results. Presently they are only a whole $8 more than OEM LS7 lifters, and represent a very good value. Your "best" drop in option would be the Johnson 2110R, but those have gotten extremely pricy and wouldn't be my choice for most street combinations as they are overkill.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
The 7717 is the replacement for the 6504 lifters, which are their no-frills LS7 OEM style lifter. These are more or less equivalent to the OEM LS7 style lifters that came stock on your LS3. So, not an upgrade, not a downgrade.

Dollar for value, the best lifter option for most street style builds are the Chevrolet Performance - Racing/GMPP "Caddy" lifters. These are outwardly the same dimension as the OEM LS7 lifter, but they are a higher material quality, higher build quality, and a superior check-ball internal mechanism. We've used these with spring pressures approaching 500lbs open and 8,000rpm combinations with good results. Presently they are only a whole $8 more than OEM LS7 lifters, and represent a very good value. Your "best" drop in option would be the Johnson 2110R, but those have gotten extremely pricy and wouldn't be my choice for most street combinations as they are overkill.
This.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:23 PM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:

I just replaced my lifters from the gm performance lifters (ls7) good to 7k rpm to the gm performance racing versions that are good to 8k rpm just for piece of mind because I used to run up to 6700 rpm and didn't like getting that close to the 7k rpm limit on the gm performance ones. They actually quieted down the lifter tap quite a bit. That's also what we're pitting in my son's c5 ls1 rebuild now as well.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:56 AM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:

Great info as always acammer.. Thanks sir!! I have the Delphi LS7 lifters supposedly in mine, how do they rate in quality as I run mine up to 7200 all the time. Just don't want to have an issue if they are not quality lifters for that rpm range, Thanks
Old 01-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #6
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Great info as always acammer.. Thanks sir!! I have the Delphi LS7 lifters supposedly in mine, how do they rate in quality as I run mine up to 7200 all the time. Just don't want to have an issue if they are not quality lifters for that rpm range, Thanks
I'm suspicious of the Delphi lifters to be honest - they don't seem to be the same quality as the oem GM LS7 lifter. Their pricing reflects that as well, there is no free lunch and a set of lifter that cost half that of the GM lifters should make a potential buyer ask some questions. 7200 is more than we like see even with a genuine GM LS7 lifter, especially when such a better lifter, the GMPP Caddy lifter, is nearly the same price.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I went with the GM performance lifters for my new motor. #12499225.
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #8
all muSScle

Thanks everyone for the replies. Is this the correct part number for the GMPP Caddy Lifters (88958689)? I’ve read some mixed reviews over the years on these in that they were intended for ultra light valve trains and single valve springs and that more aggressive lobe profiles and stiffer springs have resulted in failures. I’m not sure how reliable these claims are but I also can’t seem to find their max force rating either. The PAC racing springs supplied from TSP have a spring rate of 392 lb/in (160 lb seat at 1.8” and 415 lb open at 1.15”), which would put me right at 407 lb at max lift on the intake (.629”). Can anyone confirm the max pressure on the Caddy Lifters and if they would tolerate 400+ lbs of force? Again, thanks for the replies thus far and not trying to muddy the waters but I want to make sure that I’m selecting the correct lifter for my application. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #9
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by all muSScle View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. Is this the correct part number for the GMPP Caddy Lifters (88958689)? I’ve read some mixed reviews over the years on these in that they were intended for ultra light valve trains and single valve springs and that more aggressive lobe profiles and stiffer springs have resulted in failures. I’m not sure how reliable these claims are but I also can’t seem to find their max force rating either. The PAC racing springs supplied from TSP have a spring rate of 392 lb/in (160 lb seat at 1.8” and 415 lb open at 1.15”), which would put me right at 407 lb at max lift on the intake (.629”). Can anyone confirm the max pressure on the Caddy Lifters and if they would tolerate 400+ lbs of force? Again, thanks for the replies thus far and not trying to muddy the waters but I want to make sure that I’m selecting the correct lifter for my application. Thanks in advance.
That's the right part number. Like I said in my original reply, we have used these with up to 500 pounds of open pressure with good results. It's true that these were originally set up with a fairly light beehive Spring, that was for a pure racing application that would spend all of its time over 6500 RPM, which is extremely far in excess of what even aggressively runs street engines will see. These are just fine for your combination, and are a great choice for the money.
Old 01-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #10
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

It is also worth noting that your OEM valve train would be considered ultra light, you really can't get any lighter than the is the hollow stem GM intake valve and OEM rocker set up. It would be our recommended setup for 95% of Gen. 4 builds that are going to do 8000 or less RPM.
Old 01-02-2022, 04:08 PM   #11
all muSScle

acammer,

Thanks for the reply and my apologies for missing the 500lb opening pressure comment in your original post! What is the recommended preload on them? Also, are these lifters the ones that have a groove around the circumference of the body?
Old 01-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
I'm suspicious of the Delphi lifters to be honest - they don't seem to be the same quality as the oem GM LS7 lifter. Their pricing reflects that as well, there is no free lunch and a set of lifter that cost half that of the GM lifters should make a potential buyer ask some questions. 7200 is more than we like see even with a genuine GM LS7 lifter, especially when such a better lifter, the GMPP Caddy lifter, is nearly the same price.
Thanks acammer for your reply. Guess I need to be careful with these then. Now ya got me thinking about doing the caddy lifters, was looking at the Johnson's, but as you said, it is really overkill, plus I would need longer PR's for them. Appreciate your knowledge and sharing. Oh, and the only reason I pull it out to 7200 is the big LOD intake I have is still making power up there.
Old 01-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #13
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
acammer, you sir, are the MAN!!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #14
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
acammer, you sir, are the MAN!!!
^^^^ totally concur!!! You don't see anyone else on here as dedicated to our quest as acammer!!! . And I for one, totally appreciate him AND his knowledge...

Tags
cam swap, morel 7717, morel lifters