Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #71
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
You people defending payments are crazy. 100% of legitimate repos are on cars with loans. Miss a payment or two whether intentional or unintentional and they can repo your car. Sometimes life happens and you have unexpected expenses that may make it so you can't pay your payment unexpectedly. Why not have a car that you own 100% and not have to worry about owing someone else? It's not yours until it's all yours. Even if you still owe $0.01 it can still be repoed. Take the amount that you would have spent on a payment and invest it every month if you're that concerned about making that money grow. Will it make 100% as much as if you just threw a lump sum at an investment out of the box? No, but you don't have to worry about life happening preventing you from paying the whole thing off and ending off worse than if you'd just paid off the car.
There is a middle ground. You are underscoring very unlikely situations. Repo's for $0.01 owed, or "life happens" events.

An agreement to purchase something (i.e. loan) should never be taken lightly and all unforeseen/oh-sh** events should be considered. That taken into account, there should be nothing that would stop you from making a payment on time.

And although you are correct in stating that it is wisest to save & pay in full, regularly paying a car payment helps your credit score, which you will need to be good for other things in life.

With your logic, is that how you buy all big dollar purchases (i.e. property)? Loans are necessary, and if done properly benefit both parties.

Just saying.

I paid off my 2010 in 2013. congrats to everyone with no payment, whether paid in full when you drove it off the lot or years afterwords.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #72
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Don't think anyone is acting like its nothing to save/have $40K. I'm 55, have worked hard and invested/saved since I was 16. As a result, since retiring and thanks to hard work, good retirement planning, some wise investments and some luck over the years, we are in a position to now pay cash for luxuries...it's not always easy, but if you start early, it can be done
spot on.

ofc it's not easy..i'm just a floor fitter and my wife a nurse.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #73
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
As of yesterday mine is

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #74
justjoshin

Drives: 2010 SW 1SS L99 Camaro
Betsy is paid for! The whole finance or pay cash debate is really silly. Many people never get to a point where it is possible to pay cash. Financing is the only option for a lot of young people just starting out in life. I am at a point in my life that I can go out and pay cash for an auto, but like others have stated, it took years of hard work to get to this. I keep my cars for a long time, and continue to put money up in a savings set aside just for that at all times. I plan on buying a new truck around this time next year and will pay cash unless I could be able to get 0% financing. That would be a no brainer to do! I didn't get a 820 credit score by paying cash for sure. No matter how you purchase things, it all comes down to being smart. Just my $.02
Old 04-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #75
Trifecta23

Drives: 2013 Dusk 2ss/RS conv.
Paid cash.

Where I believe it is crazy is if someone borrows money for a garage queen. I bought mine as a toy and a 4th auto for the family. I have in the past made payments for daily drivers, but there is no way I would make payments and take $ away from my family for my weekend runner. That's just me and I'm not going to judge others. I am definitely not a perfect person and not going to act like i am.

jdm
Trifecta23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #76
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
Maybe in my next life haha
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #77
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Was it the best thing ever when you paid it off? Did you mod more(if you're into that) or did you trade for another vehicle? It looks like I'll have mine paid off in September of this year and I'm leaning more toward the modding. Just curious as to what route everyone took.
Paid cash for mine, so paid off immediately. Already had about $3000 in mods sitting in the shop waiting for the car to arrive. LOL
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #78
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifecta23 View Post
Paid cash.

Where I believe it is crazy is if someone borrows money for a garage queen. I bought mine as a toy and a 4th auto for the family. I have in the past made payments for daily drivers, but there is no way I would make payments and take $ away from my family for my weekend runner. That's just me and I'm not going to judge others. I am definitely not a perfect person and not going to act like i am.

Your taking money away from your family weather you make payments or pay with cash. Money is money. I pay cash for all my cars, I concur with you there. All 3 of my Camaro's are garage queens. I don't see a big problem with someone making payments on a garage queen though. Guess they are making sure it lasts till it's paid off. LOL
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #79
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
I like how everyone acts like its nothing at all to save/have 40k cash.......
Nothing could be further from the truth, especially if you're younger. 40k is A LOT to save up. However, if more people saved up cash there would be a lot less threads titled "I hate my Camaro", "I wish I had got a V8", "I wish I had got a ZL1", "I wish I had gotten a different Camaro", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
There is a middle ground. You are underscoring very unlikely situations. Repo's for $0.01 owed, or "life happens" events.

An agreement to purchase something (i.e. loan) should never be taken lightly and all unforeseen/oh-sh** events should be considered. That taken into account, there should be nothing that would stop you from making a payment on time.

And although you are correct in stating that it is wisest to save & pay in full, regularly paying a car payment helps your credit score, which you will need to be good for other things in life.

With your logic, is that how you buy all big dollar purchases (i.e. property)? Loans are necessary, and if done properly benefit both parties.

Just saying.

I paid off my 2010 in 2013. congrats to everyone with no payment, whether paid in full when you drove it off the lot or years afterwords.
As unlikely as it is for a repo for $0.01 it is possible, but the more likely thing is major life events. Studies show that a significant life event will happen to every person at least once in a 10 year period. With loan terms being up to 96 months now chances are you would experience a significant event during the life of your loan.

As far as you saying that you need a credit score to be good for other things in life I would say that is a very common misconception. You "need" a credit score to borrow money and depending on the land lord renting, that's about it. Even then if your land lord has half a brain and you tell them you don't have a credit score because you have saved up money and pay cash for things, chances are pretty good that they will rent to you. Who would you rather rent to, a person with no credit score and $10k in the bank or someone with a 750+ credit score and $10k or more in debt with no savings. Saying that you HAVE to have a credit score to buy a house/property is also false. You can have no credit score and your lender will do manual underwriting to loan you money for the house. Once you have a house payment you will have a credit score, but having a history of paying bills on time will help you with manual underwriting.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:25 PM   #80
dotbowels

Drives: Convertible RS 2014
From day 1 of my adult life (18) I have never bought anything that I can't pay for period. Some times it takes a while, but if I want it, I eventually get it if possible, or I move on.

I always wanted a Vette Vertible, but ended up happily settling for a Camaro. I've never looked back.

Yes my Camaro is paid for
dotbowels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #81
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
Sent the last payment off today.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #82
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
Mine is paid off sweet!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #83
SS MoFo

Drives: 2014 SS/RS 1LE
Wish I could have got <1% APR financing for an SS or I would have taken a loan. I feel lucky to have a good job and my transportation paid off. It leaves more money for BBQ and refreshments and gasoline
SS MoFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #84
Gerry S

Drives: 15 Chevy RS 2SS 6-Speed manual
Looking to pay off my camaro when I move to a warmer climate next year. Not crazy about payments but with interest rates being almost non existent it crazy to pay cash.
Gerry S is offline   Reply With Quote