Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Z28 Side skirt replacement

I picked up a set of new GM OEM Z28 side skirts and wanted to reach out to see if anyone has replaced these without removing or destroying/distorting the fender flares.
I’m still contemplating the painting of my fender flares back to silver and waiting until that point to install the side skirts.
I’ve searched and have found numerous side skirt replacements but no Z28 side skirt replacements w/o removing fender flares. I’m expecting it can be done but just wondering if I’m over thinking this. The fender flares are getting tougher to find and $$, so wanted to tap into others expertise first.
So, for anyone that has performed this, is it possible w/o needing to remove or reattach fender flare after?
Thanks to all
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
RaycinSS

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
I have replaced them without removing the flares recently. There's a couple of tricky spots where the factory put some adhesive near where the rear flares connect to the rocker panels. I'm on the road and working but will try to respond in more detail and see if I have some pictures that might help if you will give me a day or two.
RaycinSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
I have replaced them without removing the flares recently. There's a couple of tricky spots where the factory put some adhesive near where the rear flares connect to the rocker panels. I'm on the road and working but will try to respond in more detail and see if I have some pictures that might help if you will give me a day or two.
I appreciate any expertise input. No rush
Old 06-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
So it sounds like these are still readily available?
Seems like most parts (body) are not..
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOW TIE View Post
So it sounds like these are still readily available?
Seems like most parts (body) are not..
Some are still available from GM and others are not. I found the side skirts on eBay. NOS(new old stock) OEM GM SIM. I didn’t believe it until I received and confirmed they are the real deal. Seems eBay is a more miss than hit. GM still has splitter and my local dealer parts guy gives me the discount that the outlets sell it for. It’s nice to just have them order and if there’s backorder then I don’t pay until it shows up. Not so good luck finding silver fender flares. I may have to just have mine painted if I go back to factory from gloss black that are currently installed. I actually like the black fender flares but it’s one of the few things left that is not factory.

The parts guy and I didn’t know if splitter comes painted. It does. I now have my original if I ever want to track it and the new one.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
RaycinSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Some are still available from GM and others are not. I found the side skirts on eBay. NOS(new old stock) OEM GM SIM. I didn’t believe it until I received and confirmed they are the real deal. Seems eBay is a more miss than hit. GM still has splitter and my local dealer parts guy gives me the discount that the outlets sell it for. It’s nice to just have them order and if there’s backorder then I don’t pay until it shows up. Not so good luck finding silver fender flares. I may have to just have mine painted if I go back to factory from gloss black that are currently installed. I actually like the black fender flares but it’s one of the few things left that is not factory.

The parts guy and I didn’t know if splitter comes painted. It does. I now have my original if I ever want to track it and the new one.
I have previously purchased 2 of the OEM splitter part number 23104737 and both came already painted gloss black
Old 06-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
RaycinSS

Here's a view of some Z/28 rocker panels looking from the rear to the front. You can see where most of the clips are. I highly recommend purchasing a removal tool and be prepared for some of the clips to break. Highlighted in blue is an area where the rear flares snap into the rocker panels and in yellow are a couple of areas on the inside of the rockers where they were bonded with the flexible adhesive against the frame of the car. This car was a 2015 but I am aware of some cars that did not have this area bonded. You will need to be very careful when taking the rockers off not to detach the flares from the car but even if you do it's not the end of the world and they can be reattached. I recommend releasing all of the clips with the tool underneath first and then moving to the ones at the door sill. Use some small wedges or folded cardboard to help you capture your progress and keep the clips from snapping back in.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
RaycinSS

Once I had all the clips released I could pull the part away from the car enough to get a small 90 degree pick in between the rocker and body and scratch away at the flexible adhesive to release from the body and you can work it downward and put pressure on the flares where the tabs are to get them to release. This picture is the best I had that I could show the area where I had to cut/scratch the adhesive to fully release the rocker after all the clips had been released.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #9
RaycinSS

I wanted to replace my flares with some used ones that were in better shape so as I said earlier if you have to remove the flare no big deal, just be careful to release it from the bracket that is adhered to the rear quarter panel. The bracket can stay on the car and you can just clean the old double sided tape off and re-tape the flare and snap on and reinstall. Here's a few pictures of what that process would look like. I had a very small portion of the bracket near the bottom of the car the started to separate. As opposed to trying to clean it all and reattach with adhesive I chose to use one rivet that does not show with the flare installed and solve the problem permanently
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
RaycinSS

You can order new clips from the dealership for a premium or ebay sells larger quantities of aftermarket ones for less. I only broke 4 clips so I found these in stock at Autozone for $3.99 for a 2 pack . These worked great for me.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2020, 09:33 PM   #11
RaycinSS

Final results
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2020, 10:31 PM   #12
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaycinSS View Post
Final results
That looks great. Nothing like having new painted parts on. Those are some great pics with great info. The new side skirts have clips in them but my plan is to try to save as many old clips to keep with the old skirts. But plastic pieces always have a tendency to be brittle and break.
The wheel color is sharp with the black.
Thanks so much.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
RaycinSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
That looks great. Nothing like having new painted parts on. Those are some great pics with great info. The new side skirts have clips in them but my plan is to try to save as many old clips to keep with the old skirts. But plastic pieces always have a tendency to be brittle and break.
The wheel color is sharp with the black.
Thanks so much.
You're welcome. Wish I had taken more pictures but anyways feel free to PM me or reach out with any questions and I can probably explain better things I didn't cover well enough. Don't be afraid to do this it is possible. Just be slow and careful and let me know If I can help.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #14
SIM GhostrdrZ

Finished installing both side skirts.
Thank you RaycinSS

Mine had glue on the flares to side skirts but that was not factory since flares are black. You weren’t kidding about the clips. Broke most of them, second side I didn’t even try to save them.
Only thing I’d add is that the flare tabs that go into the side skirts are tricky but I got them all out and back in without breaking them. Multiple trim tools and bent fingers did the trick. Once I got on the second side I started up front and kept a trim tool between fender flare and fender to just barely keep enough space for install of new skirt. I didn’t do the rivet as I’ll probably get new fender flares or take mine off to get them painted, eventually.
Don’t mind my leg in the reflection of door. Ha!
Gotta clean all the tape marks off now.
Attached Images

Last edited by SIM GhostrdrZ; 06-12-2020 at 04:34 PM.