Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-18-2023, 09:52 PM   #15
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
CTEK MXS 5.0

I've used a CTEK MXS 5.0 with the Comfort Indicator Eyelet mounted on the battery in the trunk for about 4 years. It has maintained the original factory battery on my 15 Z28. I'm the original owner, so that contributed to the longevity of the original battery, but the CTEK has preserved it. The battery was starting hard when I installed it, but if fires consistently as when it was new since I started using the CTEK. The car can sit for 2-3 weeks without being turned over, but it fires right up. The car has always been garaged.
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 05:49 AM   #16
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
I suspect that with the larger CCA in our cars combined with the parasitic drawn built into our cars the Delran tenders can only charge so much given they more for motorcycle and smaller CCA car batteries.

ps - I use the Recondition setting once a year on my AGM battery
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I guess if you need an actual battery charger, then yeah, stay away from battery float devices like the BTJ. I never use the CTEK or the BTJs to really charge the battery. I have a roll-around Schumaker to do the heavy work, if needed.

And if I'm going to drive it today, and then tomorrow, I don't even hook the car up. I only use them to maintain them while stored for any length of time and NEVER had a problem there with the way I use them. I can agree that the regular BTs are garbage. They just quit working.

The recondition setting is a total waste of time on an AGM battery since it does nothing to actually recondition it. Maybe in your mind it does and if you can sleep better by doing it, knock yourself out. It was engineered for flooded batteries to help with acid stratification issues (not to be confused with sulphation), which the design of the AGMs inherently eliminated.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:00 PM   #17
void_kp

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro Z28 (2015)
I bought
Quote:
I bought this https://www.dougshelbyengineering.co...wiring-harness for my Z, so much better than the charging cord hanging off the fenders or rear bumper
great product

and bought
Quote:
All that you need
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...s%2C120&sr=8-5

Pop the hood, put black on bare metal bolt... there's a post on the driver's side fender by airbox. Then red connects to charging port by master cylinder. Done
absolute garbage, 100% wasted money as it won't charge or keep battery at all (red flashing).

will buy a better ctek among the others recommended here.
should always remember to avoid the "cheap stuff"

Quote:
I’ve had both and would NEVER AGAIN trust hooking my car up to a Delran tender with those simpleton red & green lights
man, I should have listened to you
void_kp is offline   Reply With Quote