Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 AM   #29
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
What are you doing slumming over here? Lol.

Sorry man, we were Z/28 brethren and all, but no way ZL1 1LE wins. Faster and more advanced, but dat ass! Seriously, it's a bad ass car, but it just doesn't have the "it" factor of the Z/28.
Just taking a trip down memory lane. My wife only misses the seats of the Z/28. It’s tighter in the Gen 6. I had great times in my Z/28. But it’s a new day. I’m sure I’ll own something where I call the Gen 6 old news too.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:39 AM   #30
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Did you order yours? If so how long did it take to get?
I never order. To me it makes no sense to wait 10 years for a car. Let the hype die (already) then buy at will. These cars are on lots every where.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:41 AM   #31
URBAN LEGEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlettZL1 View Post
well some due thanks to a donor ��

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1527222922
Any improvements? I’m dying for CCBS and A10 in this car. That will finish this car.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:42 AM   #32
URBAN LEGEND

This space is special for sure. Tight group of people. Only the BMW M5 F10 section of M5 vs... is like this. Everywhere else people get defensive and mad.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #33
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
This space is special for sure. Tight group of people. Only the BMW M5 F10 section of M5 vs... is like this. Everywhere else people get defensive and mad.

No question good group. Drove the new M5 today with competition package, Wow is all I can say. I have owned every M5 from 1988 to 2010, then jumped to Panny TurboS in 2012. Sold that for Raptor in 14, now driving a Golf R daily as a holdover car until I get the 19 M5 with Comp package!

Love my Z/28 and would love to add a 1LE to the fold - it is one sick puppy!

Sorry to OP for going off topic!

I would keep my Z/28 over ZL1 - but would have to think long and hard about a 1LE. But if I could only have 1 car, the ZL1 would be a better car than Z/28 or 1LE for daily driving for sure.

No bad choice!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #34
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
No question good group. Drove the new M5 today with competition package, Wow is all I can say. I have owned every M5 from 1988 to 2010, then jumped to Panny TurboS in 2012. Sold that for Raptor in 14, now driving a Golf R daily as a holdover car until I get the 19 M5 with Comp package!

Love my Z/28 and would love to add a 1LE to the fold - it is one sick puppy!

Sorry to OP for going off topic!

I would keep my Z/28 over ZL1 - but would have to think long and hard about a 1LE. But if I could only have 1 car, the ZL1 would be a better car than Z/28 or 1LE for daily driving for sure.

No bad choice!
Love my Z/28. I would keep it. I have always liked NA cars. I avoid buying power adder cars, I do not like the complication and power delivery. It just depends what you want. Blower cars will beat NA cars, and I think Turbos will eventually beat all the blower cars, they are just more efficient. ie. You see BMW getting over 600 hp with 4.4 liters using turbos. So, you can either get in the hp game with power adder cars, or go with one of the fastest NA cars in the world. Up to you.

Note: Dodge just announced a 7 liter Hemi NA motor. They are hoping to get 540 hp out of it. It will be direct injection, but, I still bet it has a hard team beating the old LS7. At any rate, I bet the numbers between the two will be more similar than Dodge is hoping.

off- topic -- Can you get those Bimmers in a stick still ? the old M3, M5 manual trannies were bullet proof. I still have my 01 M3 conv. manual (Naturally Aspirated), and it is a perfect daily driver. I am the original owner with 220,000 miles and I still have the stock clutch in it !
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #35
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
If more power is your primary desire (creature comforts being secondary...) then you may want to consider keeping the Z/28 and adding power (w/out FI). It'll be cheaper than buying a ZL1 1LE and taking the deprecation hit (unless you buy used) and I can attest to the Z/28 being transformed into a totally different animal after recently doing significant mods and picking up ~ 150 rwp and 100 rwt. All things being equal, an NA engine will never achieve the torque that a FI car will deliver, but I can live with that as I much prefer NA for my purposes.

Some may weigh in with talk of flex fuel, tuning, etc. to achieve higher power and torque numbers. Thus, I am reiterating that I stated "all things being equal". Just want to avoid taking the OPs thread off topic and the flex fuel topic could have a thread of its own.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:19 AM   #36
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
I did the 15 Z/28 for 18 ZL1 1LE. Would do it again and again. The only thing the Z/28 has that the ZL1 1LE doesn’t is CCBS. Other than that it’s game over ZL1 1LE wins.
I agree with this post, but it’s based on performance which everyone has acknowledged is a given. Z28 is still hands down bad ass car that I would rather keep and own forever. You can chase the performance window every generation, I like to keep my cars so the Z28 would be my choice. 20 years from now people will talk about the z28 not the ZL1 in my opinion, if your just interested in latest performance ZL1 1LE wins hands down..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #37
catlettZL1

Drives: 2013 White ZL1 coupe 682hp/672tq
Quote:
Any improvements? I’m dying for CCBS and A10 in this car. That will finish this car.
Initial bite is way better, and you can definitely feel the rotational weight loss in turns on the backroads. I wish I had bought a Z/28 but I’m to far into this ZL1 for that now.
catlettZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #38
YOLO Z/28
YOLO Z/28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
I agree with this post, but it’s based on performance which everyone has acknowledged is a given. Z28 is still hands down bad ass car that I would rather keep and own forever. You can chase the performance window every generation, I like to keep my cars so the Z28 would be my choice. 20 years from now people will talk about the z28 not the ZL1 in my opinion, if your just interested in latest performance ZL1 1LE wins hands down..
They're both great cars! No way a ZL1 1LE is going to take anymore of a significant loss in the future. Maybe the base ZL1 for sure, but I guarantee the 1LE won't be a terribly high production model and that combined with its superior performance will determine its collectability. It's already more popular with the mainstream vs those of us on this forum, which instantly gives a strong initial street cred. Only time will really tell though. I won't be trading my Z anytime soon.
2014 Red Hot Z/28, CTF car #39/69. HCI, Supercharged, boltons.
2006 SRM GTO, exhaust, VMR V701 wheels (SOLD)
2002 Bright Red Trans Am WS6: HCI, exhaust, tune, Konis, UMI sways, LCAs, Track bar, STB, 2" boxed steel SFCs (SOLD)
YOLO Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #39
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVNO1 View Post
I have a feeling most people don’t even know or care what a ZL1 is.
That statement could not be farther from the truth in Colorado. I get asked every time I take the car out if its the super charged one and then why didn't I get the super charged one. Very few people have any idea what a Z28 is and every guy on the corner knows there is a super charged Camaro with a Z in the name. They think if its not super charged then it must be nothing.

I find it very annoying.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:40 PM   #40
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
That statement could not be farther from the truth in Colorado. I get asked every time I take the car out if its the super charged one and then why didn't I get the super charged one. Very few people have any idea what a Z28 is and every guy on the corner knows there is a super charged Camaro with a Z in the name. They think if its not super charged then it must be nothing.

I find it very annoying.
This is my point, collector car enthusiast 30 years from now will fawn over the Z28 since it’s more of a unicorn. I live in one of the largest high end sports car markets in the country, I walk by 10 ZL1’s to get to the one Z28. Again time will be the true barometer, but I see a ZL1 on the strret, I yawn. I always drool a little when I see 28. The people asking if it’s supecharged are stealing oxygen and won’t be the collectors of the future in my opinion..

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #41
zcarczar

Drives: 15 Z/28
I drove a ZL1 10-spd auto this weekend, first thing is I didn't like the seats. The headrest on the recaros hits me right in the spine between my shoulders and I felt cramped. It was certainly more refined than the Z/28 but it just didn't have the same raw sports car feel. I was on the fence about getting a new ZLE but I'm back on the Z/28 band wagon, its just one of those cars that is an absolute blast to drive. I've driven a lot of cars and the Z/28 is certainly one of a kind.
zcarczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #42
MIKZ28

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #311
I bought my 2015 Z/28 last winter for $41,900. I had a dealer I trust find me one and it was a true condition 4.5 car with 4500 miles on it. It has some chips on the rear wheel well moldings as I guess they all get. I have added the front chip guards and Michelin super sport tires as this car is a dd. Drove it home in a light snow storm where it sat in my garage until just a few weeks ago. I sold my 2010 1SS 6 speed to buy the Z. When I was thinking of my next car I wanted more power, unique appeal, superior fun factor and value. The Z/28 was it for me. I think the NA 427 is a great engine with gobs of power in a car that weighs the same as my 1SS did. WHAT AN EXPERIANCE TO DRIVE SUCH A CAR! I love it to death and will never sell it. Believe it or not I drive this car every day for work. I am a traveling copier repair man with a 100 mile radius territory. I have 100 lbs of tools and parts in the trunk every day. I spend all day driving from place to place to repair copy machines in the field. I love the looks from the customers when I pull up to their businesses to repair there machine. They ask is this your work car. And I say yes I get a car allowance and mileage compensation to drive this car everyday. What a treat! I still have the 20 inch original rims from my 1SS although now they have Pirelli snow tires on them and I am thinking of driving my Z this winter using these tires. They fit perfect using a 1/8 inch spacer to clear the front rotors. They also lift the car a bit to help clear the snow. I am still deciding what I will do. The Z does ride a bit rough and the roads around here are not the beast. I try to map my travels avoiding the worst roads. I average 18 miles to the gallon. One thing I have noticed is that I don't get as many looks or conversations at gas stations like I did with my 1SS. I think most people these days never heard of a Z/28. I have never seen another one around here and I am pretty sure I have the only Z near here and that's just fine with me!
MIKZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote