Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #15
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
The only common issues with the ZL1 are:

1) the bog (manual transmission only, it’s a “feature” really! ...not), and
2) the clunk from loose swaybar endlinks, which are easy to fix with nordlocks and blue thread lock if it occurs.

Do yourself a favor and test drive the ZL1 vert. There is nothing else like it.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #16
S2K+1LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 17 SS 1LE | 07 S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinms View Post
Umm wrong...you clearly have not driven a ZL1 with the A10. It goes through 1-6 very aggressively close ratio gearing in transmission.
He isn't wrong, and your response doesn't address anything that he said. Try it again, but better this time.
S2K+1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
I have to adjust what I said. I did take the ZL1 in for a linkage tightening, but I did not have an issue, it was just a double check and the dealer said it was barely off. They tighten under the bulletin that was out and I have no issues.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:00 PM   #18
nick112288

Drives: Ford Expedition
I wouldn't consider the loose swaybar links really a issue, at least not on the same level of the Hellcat pulley slipping and requiring a new engine, or blower bearings that require a new blower.

But I also don't know if the bearings are still a possible issue, and the crank really only seems to be a problem if you mod with pulley swaps.

Does the ZL1 have any blower issues when you start doing pulley swaps?
nick112288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #19
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Mine's a victim of the dreaded headliner sag issue and going in for a new one Thursday. If you're looking hard at verts this of course is not an issue but something to consider for a coupe. May have been resolved for 2018, but since it obviously wasn't for 2017, maybe not.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick112288 View Post
I wouldn't consider the loose swaybar links really a issue, at least not on the same level of the Hellcat pulley slipping and requiring a new engine, or blower bearings that require a new blower.

But I also don't know if the bearings are still a possible issue, and the crank really only seems to be a problem if you mod with pulley swaps.

Does the ZL1 have any blower issues when you start doing pulley swaps?
Small issue or large issue. I wanted to share.

Here is the long list of issues and all of the ones on this site are on this list.

http://www.chevroletproblems.com/veh...aro/tsbs/2017/

Past Rides
Old 07-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #21
nick112288

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Small issue or large issue. I wanted to share.

Here is the long list of issues and all of the ones on this site are on this list.

http://www.chevroletproblems.com/veh...aro/tsbs/2017/
And I appreciate that. I wasn’t trying to down play or blow off what you said. More so saying that wouldn’t sway me like the mentioned Hellcat issues potentially do.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #22
unavailablezl1

Quote:
And I appreciate that. I wasn’t trying to down play or blow off what you said. More so saying that wouldn’t sway me like the mentioned Hellcat issues potentially do.
NP

Past Rides
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM   #23
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
No issues here. Love my ZL1!
Old 07-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #24
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper3000 View Post
No issues here. Love my ZL1!
Nice photo by the way. Almost looks like it belongs on the wall somewhere !!!

Past Rides
Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 PM   #25
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
So I'm in the market, most likely a ZL1 convertible, but I'm also considering a coupe or even a Hellcat.

I did a quick search but didn't really see anything, does the ZL1 have any common issues? Stock or modded?

Hellcats of course have the crank pulley issue when modded, along with blower bearings (not sure if that's a problem still on the newest models) and I guess some people have had rear end problems.

ZL1 have anything like that? Lack of issues would be a BIG deciding factor in the cars.
I'm not exactly sure how bad the crank pulley issue is. I think it is only an issue when going too aggressive on a pulley and when really pushing the car like at the track. And not many have had this issue from what I've seen. People say that if you do go with a pulley then you should also pin the crank. Only problem with that is they will definitely know the pulley was messed with if you pin it. But they'll know that from the tune since the ECU has to be unlocked so that isn't a big deal. Pinning the crank when throwing on a pulley saves any crank issues.

The blower bearings were indeed an issue. But most Hellcats that have not been modded are still under warranty which means any issues will result in a free fix by the dealership. So I wouldn't worry about it. Or, it'll just give you an excuse to upgrade to that monster Whipple 4.5!! Also I think sometime in MY 2016 Dodge upgraded the blowers. There is an ID number on the blowers which should tell you if it is the newer style or older one. All the blowers that had bearing issues were replaced with new ones that have the upgraded ID number too. My blower bearings are fine and as of late I haven't heard of any issues with them from other owners at all.

The other issue that was common was the driveshaft but only after adding sticky tires and launching. So if you plan to go tot he track then I would add DRs and a driveshaft...or DRs and just don't rev it to the moon and drop the shit outta the clutch, lol!! I might or might not do a DS and DRs but I'm not 100% sure. A set of good sticky street tires and you're fine.

One issue I have experienced (and spoke with others who experienced it as well) is the infotainment system in the Hellcats are somewhat glitchy. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it doesn't. Sometimes it works fine but then you turn the car off to go into the store and come back out and it's all glitchy. Sometimes you come back and the screen is blank and nothing comes on. Sometimes the Performance Pages freeze or load continuously. It's enough to make my head spin. So basically I don't even use the Performance Pages anymore. Which sucks because it is such a neat feature to see the IATs and boost and other stuff right there. Oh well. I'm sure there is a fix or upgrade to it but I don't care enough to take it in.

I've noticed that my heated/cooled seats and heat steering wheel are not as warm/cool in my HC as they are in my ZL1. It isn't enough for me to bring it in tho.

And the last thing I noticed is that this car constantly gives alerts for nonsense. Like, "air quality" alerts in counties I never heard of. Again, not much of an issue but it does get annoying.

So really it isn't too bad since I still love driving my Hellcat. It is definitely roomy and easy to get in/out of. And it has plenty of trunk space for my bags when I'm traveling to and from the airport. So if you decide to get one then look for these issues I mentioned.

ZL1 Issues -

Quite honestly I don't think there are any that I can think of. Well maybe the clicking noise that comes from the front wheels when taking a hard corner but cleaning the rotors off fixes that. Some people report that it came back while others said it was a permanent fix. Other than that my ZL1 has been rock solid and I have no complaints. Visibility for me is a non-issue. But you might wanna make sure you're ok with it.

Between the two cars I'd say get the ZL1 because there are way less issues with it and it is an all around better performer than anything Dodge or Ford has in the same price range or even at a higher price stock for stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Zero Problems. Why is a Ford person wanting to buy a GM product? Problems?
LOL, just because he has a Ford Expedi doesn't make him a Ford person. I have a Mercury Mountaineer...does that make me a Ford person too? Just messin with you. If anything, if he is getting a ZL1, then he will need something like an Expedition for practicality reasons.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #26
nick112288

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I'm not exactly sure how bad the crank pulley issue is. I think it is only an issue when going too aggressive on a pulley and when really pushing the car like at the track. And not many have had this issue from what I've seen. People say that if you do go with a pulley then you should also pin the crank. Only problem with that is they will definitely know the pulley was messed with if you pin it. But they'll know that from the tune since the ECU has to be unlocked so that isn't a big deal. Pinning the crank when throwing on a pulley saves any crank issues.

The blower bearings were indeed an issue. But most Hellcats that have not been modded are still under warranty which means any issues will result in a free fix by the dealership. So I wouldn't worry about it. Or, it'll just give you an excuse to upgrade to that monster Whipple 4.5!! Also I think sometime in MY 2016 Dodge upgraded the blowers. There is an ID number on the blowers which should tell you if it is the newer style or older one. All the blowers that had bearing issues were replaced with new ones that have the upgraded ID number too. My blower bearings are fine and as of late I haven't heard of any issues with them from other owners at all.

The other issue that was common was the driveshaft but only after adding sticky tires and launching. So if you plan to go tot he track then I would add DRs and a driveshaft...or DRs and just don't rev it to the moon and drop the shit outta the clutch, lol!! I might or might not do a DS and DRs but I'm not 100% sure. A set of good sticky street tires and you're fine.

One issue I have experienced (and spoke with others who experienced it as well) is the infotainment system in the Hellcats are somewhat glitchy. Sometimes it works fine. Other times it doesn't. Sometimes it works fine but then you turn the car off to go into the store and come back out and it's all glitchy. Sometimes you come back and the screen is blank and nothing comes on. Sometimes the Performance Pages freeze or load continuously. It's enough to make my head spin. So basically I don't even use the Performance Pages anymore. Which sucks because it is such a neat feature to see the IATs and boost and other stuff right there. Oh well. I'm sure there is a fix or upgrade to it but I don't care enough to take it in.

I've noticed that my heated/cooled seats and heat steering wheel are not as warm/cool in my HC as they are in my ZL1. It isn't enough for me to bring it in tho.

And the last thing I noticed is that this car constantly gives alerts for nonsense. Like, "air quality" alerts in counties I never heard of. Again, not much of an issue but it does get annoying.

So really it isn't too bad since I still love driving my Hellcat. It is definitely roomy and easy to get in/out of. And it has plenty of trunk space for my bags when I'm traveling to and from the airport. So if you decide to get one then look for these issues I mentioned.

ZL1 Issues -

Quite honestly I don't think there are any that I can think of. Well maybe the clicking noise that comes from the front wheels when taking a hard corner but cleaning the rotors off fixes that. Some people report that it came back while others said it was a permanent fix. Other than that my ZL1 has been rock solid and I have no complaints. Visibility for me is a non-issue. But you might wanna make sure you're ok with it.

Between the two cars I'd say get the ZL1 because there are way less issues with it and it is an all around better performer than anything Dodge or Ford has in the same price range or even at a higher price stock for stock.

LOL, just because he has a Ford Expedi doesn't make him a Ford person. I have a Mercury Mountaineer...does that make me a Ford person too? Just messin with you. If anything, if he is getting a ZL1, then he will need something like an Expedition for practicality reasons.
I knew the problems were predominantly when modded (obviously bearings were stock or modified) but who wouldn’t want to mod these cars with how easy it is to make massive power?

And yeah the Expedition is for practicality. At first I had talked myself out of the Camaro because it was only 4 seats and we’re a family of 5. But then I Remembered my dad made a 4 seater work with a family of 9!
Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 PM   #27
dwill8335

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Ice Metallic A10
great picture
dwill8335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM   #28
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
So I'm in the market, most likely a ZL1 convertible, but I'm also considering a coupe or even a Hellcat.

I did a quick search but didn't really see anything, does the ZL1 have any common issues? Stock or modded?

Hellcats of course have the crank pulley issue when modded, along with blower bearings (not sure if that's a problem still on the newest models) and I guess some people have had rear end problems.

ZL1 have anything like that? Lack of issues would be a BIG deciding factor in the cars.
My oil pump failed at 2,600 miles. Not a common issue, but there have been a bunch of others with this issue. Still, a fun car.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote