Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #57
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout66 View Post
sorry to say. I dont like that sound at all Way to harsh. But as long as you like it that's all that matters.
...if you failed to see my vanity plate, it doesn't read, "SOFTY".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Stitch... that car sounds incredible...
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Will be just right when I sneak in at 3am from the strip clubs trying to NOT wake up the wife... lol
That's when I take the CTS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Wrapping the headers is a very bad idea, it will definitely corrode alot quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
I second this. You never want to wrap a stainless steel header. I have actually seen the headers crack from this.
You're right. It was such a bad idea, that it was good enough for Pedders to use on their ProCharger equipped test mule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy25 View Post
That wrap job is top notch!
Thank you GaBoy, I did that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
after listening to stitches, to hell with headers it needs that cam too, lol.. good sounding car!
...and thank you Kerr. What's the point of having an LS3 if you don't let it out of its cage?
Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #58
SSeric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
i just got american racing headers today! just got to figure out what im gonna do about o2 extensions...but i got mine for a really really good price, way under 2k. but every arh system ive heard sounds great!
haha Mine came in from the same guy Saturday. We made out like bandits! Now I just need to clean them up a bit, have them ceramic coated, and get some o2 extensions and a new OEM gaskets.
SSeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:23 AM   #59
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
So, the 2011 SS convertiable now has a wopping 300 miles on it in 14 months, it worn out lol.. so far only modification is the GM performace cat back, which was installed when we picked up the car.

Anyway are any of the headers worth any real power gains, and how loud does it get? This heavy pig needs something, its just slow so anything has to help some. Right now the camaro is quiter than the three denali's we have which are all stock, and im not 100% sure its not slower then denali's two.. Also im not interested in spending $2K or something nuts on a set of headers.

Anyway let me know what you all have tried and had results with, or should i just say screw it and no worry about it.
I'm saving up for a set of Stainless Works 1 7/8" LT with a hi flow cat. I currently have a Stainless Works/THR catback exhaust on the car. Sure, the price for the parts is a little higher, but you generally get what you pay for.

Good luck!
2012 2SS/RS Camaro~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~BTR Stage 4 Cam~BTR CNC LS3 Heads~FAST 102 Intake~1LE 3.91 Gears~LPW Rear Cover~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace~Elite Engineering Catch Can~VMR V710s
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #60
SSeric

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntgome1 View Post
This...
SLP 1 7/8 LTH, SLP Hi-Flo Cats, and SLP LM II.... FTW
That's a nice sounding combo

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58363
SSeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #61
A.R. Headers

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Guys, I'm not sure why folks say our headers are $2000.00. Our long system that ends at the rear axle and includes our 200 cell metallic cats and 3" X-pipe is $1895.00.

Also for those that aren't familiar, ARH is used exclusively by GM on all COPO Camaro's, by Ford on all Cobra Jets and by Chrysler on all V10 Drag Pak Challengers and Viper ACR-X race cars. If that isn't an endorsement on quality, performance and fit I'm not sure what is.

Feel free to call us for more information, 631-608-1986.

Nick
A.R. Headers

100% USA MADE
A.R. Headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #62
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Personal Shop car...

Went from:

1 3/4" Doug Thorley LT's - Picked up 41 hp
1 7/8" ARH's - lost 3
1 7/8" Doug Thorleys - picked up 1
1 7/8" LG's picked up 4

I'm sure there were some variances in the dynos those days too so take it for what it's worth.

Of all the headers, I really liked the low end of the 1 3/4" DT's. They showed more low rpm tq than any of the others I've tested.

Curious to see how the new Pfadt 1 7/8" Tri Y's will be but.....Im a believer of the LG Super Pros.

The quality and performance is second to none. My opinion of course.

I can tell you that any Long Tube will be better than stock manifolds tho.....prolly one of the single best things that you can do for performance on the LS3/L99.

Good luck!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #63
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

You're right. It was such a bad idea, that it was good enough for Pedders to use on their ProCharger equipped test mule
Lol so just because they did it doesn't mean it's the right or smartest thing to do, if you want to that's fine, we see you have deep pockets lol. I'm just pointing it out for other members that don't that's all. Then they won't be wondering why theirs didn't last long.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.

Last edited by litle88; 11-05-2012 at 02:29 PM.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #64
Kerr

Drives: 67 vette
I know it needs to be taken out and beat on. The problem is to many cars, not enought hours in the day and then throw in kids.

I roll a bad ass impala during the week.. its AWESOME!!!! lmao.. for work i log on 200 miles a day usually, and i never know where im going.. Some days its all highway but where we live in the mountains, some road are crap, dirt, gravel, etc.. and i just really dont want to mess up the car, I dont give a crap about the impala, trade it ever year so the hell with it ya know, then i have the 2500 sububran that has big block thats turboed, That use to be my daily driver but 6 mpg hurts at 200 miles a day, so it just sets in the driveway until the snow comes or i need to tow something.. then vette runs on 110 leaded and well a 67 vette sucks for a daily driver with 4:56 gears and 4 speed. lol.

I do need to drive it, it not like its a "special" car and going to be worth a lot of money..
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #65
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
I know it needs to be taken out and beat on. The problem is to many cars, not enought hours in the day and then throw in kids.

I roll a bad ass impala during the week.. its AWESOME!!!! lmao.. for work i log on 200 miles a day usually, and i never know where im going.. Some days its all highway but where we live in the mountains, some road are crap, dirt, gravel, etc.. and i just really dont want to mess up the car, I dont give a crap about the impala, trade it ever year so the hell with it ya know, then i have the 2500 sububran that has big block thats turboed, That use to be my daily driver but 6 mpg hurts at 200 miles a day, so it just sets in the driveway until the snow comes or i need to tow something.. then vette runs on 110 leaded and well a 67 vette sucks for a daily driver with 4:56 gears and 4 speed. lol.

I do need to drive it, it not like its a "special" car and going to be worth a lot of money..
Get busy living or get busy dying.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #66
BAMFSS

Drives: '10 IBM 1SS/RS
Send a message via Skype™ to BAMFSS
I went with LG Super Pro 1 7/8" longtubes, 3" off-road X-pipe, and 3" mids all shipped for under $1400. That, cai, and ported throttle body put down 425 with a good tune. LS3, mind you.
BAMFSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #67
BAMFSS

Drives: '10 IBM 1SS/RS
Send a message via Skype™ to BAMFSS
And, never have installed any exhaust before, did it on a lift under 3 hours with a helping hand. just had to unbolt the exhaust components and undo the spark plug wires and the headers slid up from underneath with no problems.
BAMFSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #68
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Quote:
Yea it doesnt get driven much, sad part is about 80 of those where coming home dealer, then 20 got put on doing the top recall lol. ive got a other crap in the garage like that too,

Is the GM cat back any good? I mean looking at it vs the stock huge muffler i would think it flows better. To be honest my trade in was worth a lot more than the camaro, so i just added all the other crap too, car cover, cat back, bla bla bla...

wasnt gm bringing out a cold air box or did that get scrapped.. I was thinking i would do much becuse of warranty but at this point, ill run out of warranty by months way before i get even 3K miles at the way im going

after listening to stitches, to hell with headers it needs that cam too, lol.. good sounding car!

I have headers/no cats with the gm exhaust system. I think it sounds great. A hair on the raspy side but I blame those sounds mostly on the crappy mic my phone has.

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #69
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
TSP Long Tube Headers!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #70
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
You're right. It was such a bad idea, that it was good enough for Pedders to use on their ProCharger equipped test mule.

Good luck with the wrap. Let us know how the headers are holding up with some time.
For all the other members, I am pretty sure most all header companies void the warranty when you wrap the headers so keep that in mind.