Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-31-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
Fit4Ink

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
DD twins or F1A Procharger?

What's going on everyone, I'm pretty sure this question has probably been asked million of times already but still stuck on what I want to do. Just finished a cam swap but the power just isn't enough. Now I am debating on going twins or F1A procharger. This is a daily driver as well
Fit4Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Fit4Ink

Any suggestions??
Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #3
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
It depends turbo will be more daily friendly while a f1 will probably be ok with a daily the amount of air it pushes though I would recommend a built engine to handle that (just a suggestion). If you have a d1 or p1 that would be a better option. Also something to consider the f1 will whine like no other while I love it I always hear people bitching about it, both owners and non owners.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #4
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
It depends turbo will be more daily friendly while a f1 will probably be ok with a daily the amount of air it pushes though I would recommend a built engine to handle that (just a suggestion). If you have a d1 or p1 that would be a better option. Also something to consider the f1 will whine like no other while I love it I always hear people bitching about it, both owners and non owners.

It's not the whine, Its the sound of the air coming out of the blow by valve. With the F1a my car sounded like a street sweeper coming down the road.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:29 PM   #5
Fit4Ink

ok Let me get a little more specific with my goals. The motor will be forged and compression will be brought down to run about 16-20 lbs of boost. I would like my power to be a little more linear then instant. My power range has to be nothing less then 750whp and putting it all to the ground. Hopefully that can help a little more with the suggestions
Old 05-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
This is always a hot topic. Been asked 100 times. Its all a matter of your preference, you can bolt on a set of twins and get 750 easy. Providing you have the fuel. You can also bolt on a supercharger and get there too. However, it will be a little cheaper for you to get to 750 with turbos. And when you get sick of 750 and want 850, 950, 1100 lol, all you will need to do is turn up your boost. If your an auto, you will need to build your transmission. stock is good to 650 from what I have read here on C5. What other supporting mods do you have planned?

If your going to build your motor, then you don't need to drop your compression much. Don't worry about PSI as a limiting factor, stock engine and head bolts are good for 20psi, after that you will most likely start lifting your heads (stock setup) Also 750 at the wheels can be achieved with stock bottom end as well, and be reliable. Not saying you shouldn't forge your motor, just saying if all you want is 750 at the wheels, its not necessary.

Check out my build thread, it may answer some of your questions. Actually you may want to check out a bunch of build threads, for SC and TT.

When I was making up my mind on whether or not to go TT or SC, I found that helpful.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Fit4Ink

Thank for the information. I basically want to be able to drive it around with the boost turned down to the point im making 600-650whp but when I want to turn the boost up I will be set on kill(750-whateva I cant put to the ground). I wanted to put a bigger crank in when I forge the motor in the next couple months. But I keep hearing if im throwing boost at it then it will be no need for a bigger crank. But as far as supporting mods, a pretty beefy turbo cam, fore innovations dual pump fuel system, alky control meth kit, a nice intercooler cause its hot in Hawaii, new clutch, driveshaft, axles. Im pretty new to the turbo side of the house so if im missing anything please feel free to point me in the right direction.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
1KillerSS

Sounds like you have most of it. I would only do a bigger crank if you wanted to stroke your motor, or fully forge your internals. I kept my stock crankshaft and forged my rods and pistons. Also only went ten over on the bore.

That was basically dictated by finances and timing, I needed to get the car back in action, and money was tight, so I did what I could get away with, don't get me wrong, I didn't skimp on anything, I just did a more economical build.

If you want to drive around with the boost turned down, then kick it up when you want more, turbos will be your answer. Just add a boost controller.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 05-31-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
Fit4Ink

Im going to fully forge it now so I wont have to do it later. Appreciate all the information will start a thread when I start purchasing parts for the build.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Given what you've set I would go twins it's considered free power and had I known what I know now I would have went twins or single big ass turbo. That takes nothing away from Procharger they're local so if there's a problem I can drive and have them fix it and like nittoman said with the setup of a f1 you'll need their big red blow off valve which sounds like a damn fighter jet taking off. The biggest downfall (in my opinion) is the boost adjustment. With a turbo it's a simple turn the knob of the boost controller up or down, with the Procharger you need to take the belt off and unbolt the pulley and then put it on a torque down the new bolt, it's a hassle.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Everyone is jumping on the Turbo train, I will say I have driven and owned both turbo and procharged vehicles. For a daily / reliability stand point I would go with a procharger. Less points of failure. My current build is a larger CI motor with a F1A I plan to break in the new motor on the f1a then in a year or two when I have the my DSS rear end and such will just pop out the F1A sell it and replace with a F1X which is good for over 1k rwhp. Plus the linear power delivery is what I desire as well very smooth.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #12
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bildo View Post
Everyone is jumping on the Turbo train, I will say I have driven and owned both turbo and procharged vehicles. For a daily / reliability stand point I would go with a procharger. Less points of failure. My current build is a larger CI motor with a F1A I plan to break in the new motor on the f1a then in a year or two when I have the my DSS rear end and such will just pop out the F1A sell it and replace with a F1X which is good for over 1k rwhp. Plus the linear power delivery is what I desire as well very smooth.
For what the OP has said about his goals, Turbos suit him better. One example is, he want's to drive around with lower boost, then turn it up when he wants more.....can a supercharger do that? He doesn't really want "instant" power, and wants a minimum of 750 at the wheels, which FI option do you think would be cheaper? Especially when he wants to add more power?

Build thread
Old 06-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #13
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
For what the OP has said about his goals, Turbos suit him better. One example is, he want's to drive around with lower boost, then turn it up when he wants more.....can a supercharger do that? He doesn't really want "instant" power, and wants a minimum of 750 at the wheels, which FI option do you think would be cheaper? Especially when he wants to add more power?
Yes, I had a wastegate on my F1A.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #14
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
.One example is, he want's to drive around with lower boost, then turn it up when he wants more.....can a supercharger do that? He doesn't really want "instant" power, and wants a minimum of 750 at the wheels, which FI option do you think would be cheaper? Especially when he wants to add more power?

Actually yes a supercharger can do that look into the I-1, I never said instant power I said linear, which is also easier on the drivetrain. If he wanted instant power I would recommend a PD blower. Both are viable options (twins and centri)
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote