Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #29
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Yesterday I took my 6th gen 2SS A8 to Gingerman raceway in Southwest Michigan. It was 90 + degrees and very humid. I did install the brake deflectors as the ops manual instructed. I also changed the brake fluid over to Motul 600 RBF. We had some rain after lunch but I had already gone through 5 sessions of 15 minutes of hard track time (75 minutes total). I never had an issue with the brakes and I ran it pretty hard. My car has about 1800 miles on it. I was extremely impressed with the car and very satisfied with brakes.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #30
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Yesterday I took my 6th gen 2SS A8 to Gingerman raceway in Southwest Michigan. It was 90 + degrees and very humid. I did install the brake deflectors as the ops manual instructed. I also changed the brake fluid over to Motul 600 RBF. We had some rain after lunch but I had already gone through 5 sessions of 15 minutes of hard track time (75 minutes total). I never had an issue with the brakes and I ran it pretty hard. My car has about 1800 miles on it. I was extremely impressed with the car and very satisfied with brakes.
Did you monitor you oil and transmission fluid temp?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #31
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
Did you monitor you oil and transmission fluid temp?
Yes, trans temp was no issue at all. Oil temp was close to 300 on the gauge but I'm not really sure if it was that hot. That could all be in how they have that gauge scaled. Im guessing it wasn't that hot. It would take some instrumentation to qualify that statement. Modern oil is capable of temps up to 290F and maybe even a bit beyond. I really do not think it is a concern.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #32
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Yes, trans temp was no issue at all. Oil temp was close to 300 on the gauge but I'm not really sure if it was that hot. That could all be in how they have that gauge scaled. Im guessing it wasn't that hot. It would take some instrumentation to qualify that statement. Modern oil is capable of temps up to 290F and maybe even a bit beyond. I really do not think it is a concern.
Thanks
I had a similar oil temp. Was wondering the accuracy as well. Coolant temp was around 220.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #33
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
The oil temp on the 5th gen was a computerized "guesstimate" based on readings from other sensors. There are some threads on Camaro 5 detailing it but I'm too lazy to go find them and post links. I'm not sure if the Gen 6 is actual oil temp or is still using the same system.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #34
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
The oil temp on the 5th gen was a computerized "guesstimate" based on readings from other sensors. There are some threads on Camaro 5 detailing it but I'm too lazy to go find them and post links. I'm not sure if the Gen 6 is actual oil temp or is still using the same system.
I've heard the same story about the Corvette C7
Old 08-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #35
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanAss View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. To respond to some of the points:

7) Interesting conclusion to this story - yesterday my car rolled backwards in parking lot and hit another car. I had it parked on incline with only the parking brake set (didn't put it in gear, from now on I will). It engaged and held the car for some time, but then simply released. The damage is minor - just some scratches on rear bumper, but could've been much worse. I wonder if this is related to what I described in #4.

Regards
Your Parking Brake is likely worn out because of your track day. Good going!

What you did to your car on track day not only put yourself at RISK but also compromised the SAFETY of the other drivers and track workers by FAILING to FOLLOW how to track prep your car.

I would say other things but I don't want to get blocked from the board. Suffice to say I would never want to be on the track at the same time as you.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #36
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
At least your parking brake failure didn't happen at the track. Don't ever set the P-brake after running a session. Chock a tire if you're paddock spot is on a slope. And leave it in either 1st or reverse every time you park it no matter where that might be.

Yup, "brake" vs "break" again . . . sure, it's obvious what you meant. And equally apparent that you don't care enough about how it looks to the people who would help you ... to get it right. Not sugar-coated but intended helpfully.

Norm
This is a good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

And, for the love of all that is good and decent, it is BRAKE, not BREAK. When you use "Break" you sound like a moron, even if you are not one.
This is not a good post.

OP: you live and you learn. Just check the manual next time and don't be afraid to ask for help!
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #37
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post

What you did to your car on track day not only put yourself at RISK but also compromised the SAFETY of the other drivers and track workers by FAILING to FOLLOW how to track prep your car.

I would say other things but I don't want to get blocked from the board. Suffice to say I would never want to be on the track at the same time as you.
Wow simmer down dude. Some people make mistakes. Obviously not you...but some.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #38
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post

Go ahead, say it. You can always create a new account if you get banned.
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #39
mbar

Let's all stay friends
Old 08-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #40
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
you don't leave your car in gear when you park? really. Always, Always leave your car in reverse when you park it. manual gearbox parking 101.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
you don't leave your car in gear when you park? really. Always, Always leave your car in reverse when you park it. manual gearbox parking 101.
Make that 1st or reverse.

Your choice depending on which direction an unexpected lurch would cause the least damage. Think sudden clutch linkage or hydraulic line failure here. Don't assume that you'll always put the transmission in the neutral gate when cranking the engine.

Norm
Old 09-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #42
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
One more time for track newbies: SRF is the ONLY fluid you are not going to boil once you get more seat time. Next, if you did not PROPERLY bed/burnish your pads/rotors BEFORE you go to the track, you ARE going to have brake problems. Last, once you have had a "failure" ie you boiled the fluid, DO NOT GO BACK OUT without a complete bleed, you are going to have an "oh shit" moment if you don't and it usually shows up at the END of a long straightaway.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote