Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
mliebs

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Kicking around a few mod ideas

I'd like to add a couple of mods to my 13 SS but want to keep it realistic. I'm thinking about a small nitrous kit (in another thread) but am also considering an exhaust system. I'm thinking about shorty headers and keeping everything else stock. I don't like loud exhaust systems (at all) I really like a low rumble type of sound (more of a deep, tight sound). I don't want to spend the money on LT's and high flow cats. I'd also consider a nice axle back system if it changes the sound to what I'm looking for. Will shorty headers help with the sound? If so which brand would you pick?
mliebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
You could get a set of TSP headers for around $500! thats better performance and around the same price as a set of shorties that will not do anything for you. Plus they sound amazing!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Get long tubes or high flow cats. Shortys with stock cats will do nothing, if that's what you were thinking. Long tubes with stock catback actually sounds really good and would not be loud.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliebs View Post
I'd like to add a couple of mods to my 13 SS but want to keep it realistic. I'm thinking about a small nitrous kit (in another thread) but am also considering an exhaust system. I'm thinking about shorty headers and keeping everything else stock. I don't like loud exhaust systems (at all) I really like a low rumble type of sound (more of a deep, tight sound). I don't want to spend the money on LT's and high flow cats. I'd also consider a nice axle back system if it changes the sound to what I'm looking for. Will shorty headers help with the sound? If so which brand would you pick?
Shorty's will do a little bit for sound, but they are not worth much else. In My opinion, they are not a very good bang for the buck. I suggest looking into a good set of long tubes. Kooks are excellent and are what we use most of the time, but Stainless Power makes a great option for those on a tight budget.

Feel free to call, PM me with questions or for pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 801-545-4215
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Juiced1

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If you don't want to get into long tube headers look into a set of high flow cats. We carry JBA and Solo high flow cats that are a direct replacement for the factory units. They offer actual power gains and a nice bump in sound. They are one of the biggest points of restriction on the factory exhaust. It's a nice cost effective mod that doesn't effect drivability and would work fine with a shot of nitrous for a killer sleeper!
We carry and install all the hottest brands for your Camaro! Get awesome deals on Corsa, Borla, Solo, ARH, SW, Whipple, Kooks, Procharger, Vararam, CAI, Roto-Fab, Texas Speed, ATI, ACS and much more! Call us for your CAMARO5/CAMARO6 Forum discount today! 224-63-JUICE
1820 PRODUCTION DR STE D ST CHARLES IL 60174
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mliebs View Post
Shorties will improve sound a bit but you will not see much of a performance gain. Doing high flow cats will add some more sound and provide some gains as well. An axle back would also be another option for improving sound but, again, don't expect much in terms of performance gains.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
If you want performance gain and the sound you're looking for, consider a set of LT Headers and your Stock Exhaust. Than you can still do your nitrous kit but you are maximizing your gains. Car will run better in general, and have the added power SHORTIES WILL NOT give you.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
What everyone said. I did shorties and JBA hiflows and go 20 hp.With hiflows getting 15-20 alone alleged, you can see how much shorties arw worth.Sound went up 30% or so over my outlaw axelback
Mods: Magnaflow 3" comp catback/Rotofab CAI/Apex Scoop/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/ Ridetech coilovers And DSE swaybars /BMR cradle bushings, toe links and trailing arms/Stage 1 cam-445/430 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
mliebs

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I appreciate the ideas. I may look into the high flow cats to start with.
mliebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
But then if you want headers your gonna take a loss on the cats, they eint cheap. To maximize your n02 kit your gonna need headers. Like birm said you can get a set of Lt's and keep your stock exhaust. It's really not bad at all.
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
southerncarparts

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Personally if you want sound and performance you'll want long tube...Kooks is who I'd suggest. They've got a great set of headers for the Camaro..We love Kooks around here, very good quality product.
southerncarparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
I just put Kooks LT's and hi-flow cats on with my stock LS3 exhaust.....fn-mazin'..best single performance/sound mod out there....tinkle tinkle tinkle swoosh..braaaaaaaaaaa
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
BAMFSS

Drives: '10 IBM 1SS/RS
Send a message via Skype™ to BAMFSS
I went with the LG super pro LTs, off-road X and got mids, all shipped for 1300 from jw motoring out of OK..that, CAI, ported throttle body and 100 shot(i needed a zl1 pump), made 423hp/425ft/lbs with tune and 530hp/600ft/lbs on spray...all in all, about $3k for all of that..plus tune costs.
BAMFSS is offline   Reply With Quote