Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #15
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I smell BS.
One Post last week and he's gone! BS for sure.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #16
cookiecdcmk

Drives: 2017 Camaro
BMR Sales: I agree with you that this was B.S. You live in Florida too and know that no one goes 30 mph on the country roads outside Ocala!! And then cannot control the car and goes off the road.
cookiecdcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #17
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
It would be a more interesting thread if we would all speculate what really happened and why.
It's clear already was going at least twice the "30mph" and lost control and went off the road. Why the post?
To show the thread to the parents how he wasn't driving recklessly cars do this all the time (as someone mentioned already I've see a few front drive cars with 300k miles? POS on the side of the road with a wheel pointing in a broken bone type direction). Has nothing to do with a 130k miles rwd car unless it went through half dozen 4"x4" fence posts and a ditch.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
cookiecdcmk

Drives: 2017 Camaro
As I previously posted, the "black box" readout is a wonderful truth verification.
cookiecdcmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #19
Gatorhead

Drives: 2013 SS/RS 1LE
It was not the tie rod, it was lower control arm. Glad all you forum heroes here like to talk shit. Where I come from we help one another. Thank you to those who were positive. I posted trying to see if it was indeed common or not. I had never heard of it. It is 100% cast aluminum, and is the same cast aluminum found in ALL of these cars. It has already been processed by the MCSO, FHP and the insurance company. No fraud, no attention needed. I posted in duress and without having saw it for myself. The final report was that at 30 mph the driver front lower control arm failed following a hill and dip in the roadway. Impact was less than 20 mph. Edge of road to fence line is 12' in that section. There were 4 eye witnesses. It broke the wheel ejected out the driver side quarter panel , as in I was looking at the rim, the rack and pinion was destroyed. The damage caused by impact was all minimal and I thought I was going to get to put new skins on and go. Shock tower is twisted and it pulled the apron off the firewall,no airbag deployment. The fix is 299.00 for a set of thick wall, cold rolled steel. I have been test driving new cars, stuck between Gen5 1LE, and Gen6. I have over 50k posts from over the years, this is only the second time I felt attacked. The mistake was listening to all of the people handling it calling it a tie rod when it is an LCA. It was dark, near freezing when the tow truck got there. I am not trying to sue anyone. As you all know any mechanical part can, will, and is designed to fail. Maybe not like this,but how many of you really stretch the limits of your cars.....in corners.....had I been at this time I wouldn't be trying to make sense of it.I can tell you that I was PISSED to see a cast part. Take it how you will. I had no updates to post, and how many never come back after posting?I have NEVER saw a sponsor running their mouth at a member either.That's excellent advertising!
Gatorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 AM   #20
Gatorhead

Drives: 2013 SS/RS 1LE
Car was a 2013 2SS RS 1LE fully optioned. It had 50,000 +/- I have had it since 23,000.Two days prior it snatched the wheel hard on me, and then again the night before. My wife cussed me out and I thought maybe I hit a hole I didn't see.I live in these horse farms, therefore I do not shit where I eat...that said most of these roads are terrible. I read one other story almost identical they figured it failed gradually instead of all at once.
Gatorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:18 AM   #21
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Well, in fairness, pot calling the kettle black with your response. Also, you posted ten days ago posting a tie rod failure, and now post a lca failure. You did receive a number of direct replies. I believe the others found it incredulous the a tie rod snapped at 20mph. I do as well. Now we know it's not the tie rod.

I don't care for it either, but a little snarkiness seems to come with the territory (internet).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #22
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Snowflake meltdown.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #23
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Well, in fairness, pot calling the kettle black with your response. Also, you posted ten days ago posting a tie rod failure, and now post a lca failure. You did receive a number of direct replies. I believe the others found it incredulous the a tie rod snapped at 20mph. I do as well. Now we know it's not the tie rod.

I don't care for it either, but a little snarkiness seems to come with the territory (internet).
Exactly!

As far as the OP calling me out - he has 3 Posts not 50,000+. All I said is that it was BS. I still think so. The OP going back to edit his FIRST Post (EVER) is evidence # 1. #2 is now he says that edge of the road to fence line was only 12 feet - "I went off the road, down an embankment, missed a concrete culvert, hit the fence 3/4 to parallel, went thru and then got it parallel to fence line." that sounds like a lot more than 12 feet. #3 Master Mechanic has an issue with his personal car, but doesn't look at until he crashes and then depends on a Tow Truck Drivers opinion that these break all the time!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #24
Boother

Drives: 14 ZL1
The lower control arms on a Gen5 are STEEL, not aluminum....
Boother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #25
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
keep trying still BS

Keep changing your story.

That silver circle thing is called a magnet, that thing it's stuck to is a STEEL lower control arm. They don't stick to cast aluminum.

I'm like, I wouldn't be as harsh if you just ASKED what parts were what or what they were made of, but when you brag of being a master mechanic, far above us non-certified types, expect to be corrected for obvious errors in your unlikely story.
Edit: BTW the pic is upside down like often happens when posting here. That's the left front side.
Attached Images

Last edited by silversleeper; 12-05-2019 at 10:39 PM.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #26
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
All the control arms are steel on gen5’s including the ball joints etc. on the front assembly. The knuckles are aluminum that the control arms, calipers and hubs etc attach to. Chance of a control arm breaking or one would fail without some type of long term wear and tear and indication of an issue is slim to say the least. A driver would definitely be well aware of an issue by noise and crappy handling before any LCA would snap. A bent shock would occur most likely if hitting a monster pot hole typically and a bent LCA would be experienced.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #27
Jayjellyfish212

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Exactly!

As far as the OP calling me out - he has 3 Posts not 50,000+. All I said is that it was BS. I still think so. The OP going back to edit his FIRST Post (EVER) is evidence # 1. #2 is now he says that edge of the road to fence line was only 12 feet - "I went off the road, down an embankment, missed a concrete culvert, hit the fence 3/4 to parallel, went thru and then got it parallel to fence line." that sounds like a lot more than 12 feet. #3 Master Mechanic has an issue with his personal car, but doesn't look at until he crashes and then depends on a Tow Truck Drivers opinion that these break all the time!
The OP may have forgotten to mention to us the tow truck driver was his DD
Old 12-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #28
Jayjellyfish212

Name:  220AC456-3643-4C55-AD35-94A3B070A752.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  60.6 KB