Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
4WDlifeform

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS RS
NPP Exhaust - Function Check

2014 SS RS, 6-spd with NPP exhaust. Just installed headers, high flow CATs, and mild cam. Dang she sounds good!! But..

I am curious if my NPP flaps are working properly? I guess I am confused when the flaps should be closed, and when they should be open. The car is crazy loud now, and I fear that my neighbors are going to be angry when I leave in the mornings, and driving around town in parking lots, etc, the car is a bit of a beast. Which is cool and all, but at 10% throttle, I don't need to be making any statements.. So, yeah, I'm kinda saying its a bit loud at low throttle... Call me crazy!!

Anyway, I checked before that the fuse was still installed, and I recall that it was. I have a shimmer of a doubt I remember that correctly since I looked at the fuse box so long ago... Assuming that it is still installed...

Should the flaps be open during a warm idle? I always thought they should be closed? I have also read posts that the flaps only close when over 3500 RPM? What is true? How can I check that they are working properly?

I do not notice any difference in sound through the RPM range. It is loud, no matter what, and gets louder as RPM increases under load. I can say that I have never seen the flaps closed. But, I have never had anyone rev it up for me while I was watching. Just cold and warm idle, the flaps are always open.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
4WDlifeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
nty1234

Drives: 2015 2SS Summit White
Flaps are always open at idle (cold or warm). I'm not sure of the exact rpms or throttle % but if you slowly take off you should be able to hear it close somewhere around 2-3k rpms. When you get on it they will open up. I have the NPP with cat delete pipes and I hear it so i'm sure you should be able to as-well.
nty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
See if ADM still has the remote system for NPP. I programmed mine to the HomeLink buttons. I can open and close at will. Every start up is open. Then I hit the button and it is closed.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Yeah, one of the plug and play exhaust controllers might be good for you so you can run the NPP closed when you need it to be quiet.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
4WDlifeform

Thanks for the comments. So it is true that the valves only close through a shrt RPM range?

Interested in the plug and play controller, I'll have to look more into that. I do not have the "engine sound management" on the menu, or any control at all (at least that I know of) from inside the cabin. So, I guess I am not sure if a controller would work on my car?
Old 01-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I like the way it works as stock. Definitely louder with headers, but nice and quiet when cruising. Flaps open up and rips when you get on it.

Startup is loud for sure, I can see how if you're in a quiet little neighborhood and have an early start to the day you'd want it to be quieter.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
For ease: https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...2010-2015.html

That's the specific controller I was thinking of. The other controllers allow open and closed but I don't think they have factory as an option? Or maybe it's open and factory and you can't force it closed. That 3 way controller has all 3 options though.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
4WDlifeform

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
I can see how if you're in a quiet little neighborhood and have an early start to the day you'd want it to be quieter.
"Quiet little neighborhood"! Haha Yeah, and I have a white picket fence and a golden retriever too..!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
For ease: https://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-...2010-2015.html

That's the specific controller I was thinking of. The other controllers allow open and closed but I don't think they have factory as an option? Or maybe it's open and factory and you can't force it closed. That 3 way controller has all 3 options though.
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. I too wonder how the other "two mode" systems work.. Hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow to call around and get an exact answer. I am sure it exists here in the forum somewhere too.. I'll be searchin!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #9
nty1234

Drives: 2015 2SS Summit White
There is no need really to buy a controller. I wired mine up to a 3 way switch which I have installed in my center console, top position to force ground and keep them shut, middle position to keep them open and down position to retain stock function. I can't remember exactly where the post it but there is a whole writeup on it. I believe someone had actually asked a similar question not too long ago.
nty1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #10
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
I believe on start up they are open because there is no difference in sound when my flaps are set to always open. Then they shut but the damage has been done. They open at 3k.

There is one wire that you cut going to the trunk fuse block. You connect each end of that wire to a 3 way switch (on, off, on) and the other switch terminal to ground. I haven't done this yet but I do plan to.

A guy did a very nice write up on it complete with pictures. His method used 3 relays but did not require cutting any wires. His installation was simplified to just cutting one wire (and wiring to a switch). Do a search and you'll find it. It's a great write up.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #11
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I bought the forza 3 way controller and it works well. I can keep it closed, keep it open or select the factory setting.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Headers thru a fuse-pulled NPP is basically a muffler delete. I love it on mine but, yeah, it's loud.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
Headers thru a fuse-pulled NPP is basically a muffler delete. I love it on mine but, yeah, it's loud.
Is it much louder than stock with the NPP closed or have you never tried it being the fuse is pulled. i would like to do headers but i get up early and like to close the flaps on startup.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote