Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
Frozen Ride Height Sensors??

On Fiday and Saturday I get a message on the DIC that says "Service Suspension System". Do some research and it seems the ride height sensors are usually the culprit so I check them visually and they are not physically damaged or disconnected.

Now today (Sunday) the message is gone and the only thing I can think of is the weather on Friday and Saturday was in the teens and twenties and one or both of them froze because Sunday it warmed up to 50+ degrees and no more error message.

Anyone else have something similar happen?

Also, is there a procedure to check them with a multi-meter?
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
rednecks70

Update...so today was warm and drove the car to work, no error code until I pulled out in front of traffic aggressively and got a little sideways. Message came on and I cleared it, did not come back on for the rest of the day.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
I found that the OBDLink M+ tool will detail the DTC (exact OBD2 code(s)) and these correspond with the exact location (front/rear, left/right) and whether it is a mag-ride shock or ride height sensor error, etc. It is possible to "initially" clear the code with the tool so that the Service Suspension System message is no longer displayed, but the code remains stored in the Electronic Suspension module for forty engine start cycles. Obviously if the origin of the error is intermittent, the code can be cleared, but if the origin is a permanent fault, the code will immediately return and the Service Suspension System message will be displayed.

Until I purchased the tool, I used a multi-meter to measure the resistances of the mag-ride shock or ride height sensor. You need some fine and flat probes to avoide damage when inserting into the connector on the Electronic Suspension module. I have the HAIM manuals and can advise the connector pin numbers and associated mag-ride shock or ride height sensor ciruits. This approcach will probably not be a lot of help if the origin of the error is intermittent, and your better to extract the DTC (exact OBD2 code(s)) so that you pin-point the exact location of the error.

I have also found that unplugging (for a time) the connector Electronic Suspension module will also clear a code that "initially" clears but soon returns. I have a lot of high-powered audio and electronic gear mounted on the passenger side (which is close to the Electronic Suspension module) and I am surmising that this may be the origin of the occasional Service Suspension System message that I have.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
rednecks70

NZZL1, thanks for the info. At this point I'm going to wait it out and see if it keeps coming on. Most likely will bite the bullet and pay the $80 to see the code if it keeps happening.