Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 11-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
dnns

Drives: Camaro Conv. 6.2 SS - 2014
Mounting clips rear bumper - broken

Hello,

when installing the new exhaust system and removing the rear bumper, the previous owner's shop must have broken off a clip/bracket on the rear bumper.
Attached are two photos that illustrate the problem.

Unfortunately, due to the missing bracket, the rear bumper no longer sits perfectly under the taillight, and sticks out a bit. If you know it, it is extremely annoying.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve the whole thing somehow? For this a new rear bumper is not really worth it.

Thanks a lot
Dennis
Attached Images

dnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:39 PM   #2
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Hi Dennis. Google "Bumper clip repair" or "Plastic clip repair" Lots of good info out there.

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Maybe this page shows you what part is broken or missing. I would remove the tail light and you may get a better idea of what to do with it if the bumper cover is actually broken. With the tail light out you can see what may be possible to make a repair of your own without bumper cover replacement. You can see in the parts diagram that it is part #6 that snaps into that bumper section. Watch the video and you will see the area you need to fix.

https://www.gmpartsnow.com/v-2014-ch...omponents-rear

Last edited by davesnever; 11-07-2021 at 11:28 PM.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:27 AM   #4
AlanRubin
Banned

Drives: 2010 LS
Happens up front too, so I bolted mine on. I used real small Stainless Steel domed hex
head fasteners.
AlanRubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:00 AM   #5
dnns

Drives: Camaro Conv. 6.2 SS - 2014
Thank you very much for your answers.

The easiest option will probably be to "rebuild" the broken clip with polypropylene and a heat gun.
I do not have all the tools as in the videos, but it is not about a professional repair, but only that the clip works again.
dnns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnns View Post
Thank you very much for your answers.

The easiest option will probably be to "rebuild" the broken clip with polypropylene and a heat gun.
I do not have all the tools as in the videos, but it is not about a professional repair, but only that the clip works again.
I had a similar issue. The previous owner did the axle-back exhaust themselves and screwed up the cover. The vehicle came from CarMax that way, and they are planning to replace the rear bumper cover and the brackets underneath. Here are the part numbers for the mounting brackets:

Left:23186325
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...acket-23186325

Right: 23186324
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...acket-23186324

These are for the 2014-2015, and I hope that is right for you. The part name is "Side Bracket". Good luck.

IG: StarSaber85(https://www.instagram.com/starsaber85/)

Performance Mods:
CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake; ADM Racing Scoop; Bo White Ported Throttle Body; GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake; Kooks 1-7/8" Headers with Catted Connections; Solo Mach XL Axle-Back Exhaust

the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote