Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 03-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #29
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
My new love Motul 8100 eco. Feels like the engine is lubed even better than the Amsoil stuff which I have a lot of respect for. Engine sounds and runs smoother even at high revs while cornering hard. Feels like the top end is well lubed.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #30
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Ls30 by driven racing oil
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #31
mynetdude

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Silver
does racing oil have more lubricity and friction protection than street use oils? I've read the whole thread, I haven't even been able to say "oh gee, maybe I should use this oil and wait and see what the dealer will use when my first oil change comes up"

I am curious though since I have a lifetime oil change and haven't used it yet (not sure that I can sell it back like an extended warranty) and I don't want to do my own oil changes but I want to be able to pick my own oils which lifetime will not let you do AFAIK.
mynetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #32
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
does racing oil have more lubricity and friction protection than street use oils? I've read the whole thread, I haven't even been able to say "oh gee, maybe I should use this oil and wait and see what the dealer will use when my first oil change comes up"

I am curious though since I have a lifetime oil change and haven't used it yet (not sure that I can sell it back like an extended warranty) and I don't want to do my own oil changes but I want to be able to pick my own oils which lifetime will not let you do AFAIK.
Lifetime oilchages!?!?!? how did you get that sweet deal?

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #33
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbheat View Post
Lifetime oilchages!?!?!? how did you get that sweet deal?
You don't know? You go to any dealer (and some oil change shops) and buy the lifetime oil change package (even for used cars) the deal is you pay $300-$400 (depending on how many qts of oil your vehicle needs) and you go get your oil changed 2-3 times a year (includes filter) as long as you own the vehicle and as long as the dealer stays in business you can get lifetime oil changes.

The package doesn't start paying for itself until you've had 10-15 oil changes which would be 5-7/8 years after that you'll start making your money back. I need to look to see what I paid for lifetime oil changes.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #34
B-_-RAD
Banned

Drives: ...
Quote:

It would not benefit you. It is high zinc, and designed for ls engines, and larger cams
B-_-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #35
not
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
You don't know? You go to any dealer (and some oil change shops) and buy the lifetime oil change package (even for used cars) the deal is you pay $300-$400 (depending on how many qts of oil your vehicle needs) and you go get your oil changed 2-3 times a year (includes filter) as long as you own the vehicle and as long as the dealer stays in business you can get lifetime oil changes.

The package doesn't start paying for itself until you've had 10-15 oil changes which would be 5-7/8 years after that you'll start making your money back. I need to look to see what I paid for lifetime oil changes.
So what is the upside to paying today's $$$ current value for oil changes 5 7/8 yrs into the future.. just to break even.........? That would be 2020, right? Doesn't seem like 20/20 vision to me.........

I just don't get it.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 AM   #36
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
So what is the upside to paying today's $$$ current value for oil changes 5 7/8 yrs into the future.. just to break even.........? That would be 2020, right? Doesn't seem like 20/20 vision to me.........

I just don't get it.
Its obviously a good deal for the shop, because half the people won't show up.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #37
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Selecting an oil for your car is very simple. Follow the recommendation in your owners manual then buy whatever pretty package you like best. For a new car, that recommendation will start with a certain grade that meets API SN standards. API specs have evolved over the years to better serve evolving engine pollution controls and mileage requirements. The link below shows how often this spec has changed:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

Racing oils are designed for highly stressed engines that have no catalytic converters and get rebuilt every 500 miles or less (I.e., a completely different use than what you and I need in an oil). Therefore, it is faulty logic to think that racing oils are better for your street application. Use what the manufacturer designed around, keep it topped up, change it per recommended interval and you will have a happy, long lived engine.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #38
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
I've been using Mobil-1 Synthetic Oils & Oil Filters for almost 30 Years with absolutely no issues. I've run several vehicles over 200,000+ miles changing oil by the oil monitor and never noticed any appreciable loss of power. I'm a believer!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Its obviously a good deal for the shop, because half the people won't show up.
heh if they show up? They sure paid a lot of money for free oil changes Almost everybody I know who has lifetime oil changes always shows up.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #40
mynetdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Selecting an oil for your car is very simple. Follow the recommendation in your owners manual then buy whatever pretty package you like best. For a new car, that recommendation will start with a certain grade that meets API SN standards. API specs have evolved over the years to better serve evolving engine pollution controls and mileage requirements. The link below shows how often this spec has changed:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

Racing oils are designed for highly stressed engines that have no catalytic converters and get rebuilt every 500 miles or less (I.e., a completely different use than what you and I need in an oil). Therefore, it is faulty logic to think that racing oils are better for your street application. Use what the manufacturer designed around, keep it topped up, change it per recommended interval and you will have a happy, long lived engine.
Sure you can pick whichever package that has the oil grade you want IF that is an option, they're doing away with non-synthetic oil so the only options they seem to be offering is how many times you want an oil change; mine is 2 times a year or 7,500 miles. The dealer will put the recommended grade of oil based on what GM has established for the C5 but if I want anything better than that; its on me I believe.

will oil prices go up in 3-7 years? I don't know, but its likely to and while I've paid for it its one less thing I have to worry about every time I get an oil change my first scheduled oil change is in July I don't think I will have 7,500 miles by then and after the road trip? Maybe, but since the car will be put away in late October oil change is due in January will be bumped to April when she is started up again and then hopefully the cycle will match where I get an oil change every time I put away and every time I bring it out. that's for the twice a year.